Stock length shocks with lowered truck

Nucdancer01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your experience with lowering our truck WRT shocks?

I'm used to needing new, shorter shocks when I've lowered other cars. How do the stock bilsteins hold up with a 2/3 inch drop kit?

They work fine.;) It's hard to find a better shock than the factory one's unless you go with QA1's.

Be sure to shorten your sway bar end links front/rear once you lower it. Also on the 06's with the factory cover I'd reccomend a notch like I done on my 06' NR. Before I did the notch it would bottom out on pretty small bumps:(

I was told that the rear shocks have to be replaced no matter what because they are physically too long….

Then again i bought the 2/5" drop and haven't gotten my shocks in so I guess i'll find out eventually.

I'd suggest smaller shocks with a 2/5 drop. Plenty of people run stockers, but I'm sure they would bottom out on extreme travel.

What is your experience with lowering our truck WRT shocks?

I'm used to needing new, shorter shocks when I've lowered other cars. How do the stock bilsteins hold up with a 2/3 inch drop kit?

This vehicle is no different. Plenty of folks may tell you otherwise, but any properly lowered vehicle will include shorter shocks, designed for the drop.

I think mine has "bump stops" currently (PO installed the drop). It drives OK on smooth road, but in my coastal area, it can get bouncy on bad pavement.

I plan to go with Bilstein Sport if they are available. If not, I'll have to (gasp) return to stock. I love the way a dropped ride looks, but not at the expense of handling/safety. :dontknow:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just ordered my extreme 2/3 kit from Tony. I guess I'll need to look on DJM's website for shorter shocks. I have read that our heavy trucks destroy the nitro-drop shocks, so I'll stay away from those. I'd just hate to get brand new shocks and then blow them out way early due to the constant "compression" state.

I don't know a whole lot about it, but thought the pressures would just equalize through the internal orifice of the shock valve. I've been told otherwise though. Could be a seller's ploy. Who knows?

Other than hearing "axle flip" I don't know what that means other than the obvious... Is the spring really flipped upside down?

Other than hearing "axle flip" I don't know what that means other than the obvious... Is the spring really flipped upside down?

RC's already have the axle on top on the leafs so a flip kit would do no good.;)

The spring isn't turned upside down. QCs come with the axle below the springs. The 5 in drop in the rear, on a QC, flips the axle on top of the springs.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back