STRIKER DYNO POST NATHAN'S GROUP BUY

rottenronnie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the jury is in and the numbers are out and I couldn't be happier.
Second gear gave up yesterday but it does have 42,000 miles on it.

With only fine tuning left (via SCT) the truck pulled on a MUSTANG dyno, the following wheel horsepower numbers:

492 HP (add 15% or x 1.15 for a Dynojet dyno and your get: 566 wheel).

These numbers were totally repeatable with only the following mods:

B&B catback and B&B Hi-Flow cats
SCT tune (VERY close to the stock Stage 2 flash)
JM Cylinder Heads Striker Heads cut to 10.5
JM's Truck Cam (broad flat power band).
Stock Thermostat
No Headers and No Cold Air Intake

And, the other benefit here is the truck gets considerably better mileage so if you don't want the Strikers for power, buy them for better gas mileage!;)

The truck started out at 389 wheel on a Dynojet (338 on a Mustang) so the increase over stock is substantial.

Many thanks to Jeff Morys at JM Cylinder heads for the Strikers and cam, the tuning efforts of Marty at KRC, Chris Jensen at DC Performance and a special thanks to Nathan for putting this all together.

Ron

congrats on the great numbers, glad i could help and enjoy the truck , what was the mpg increase? :rock:

thanks nathan

not a hemi said:
congrats on the great numbers, glad i could help and enjoy the truck , what was the mpg increase? :rock:

thanks nathan

Hey Nathan!

I don't have exact numbers yet because it has seen more than a few w.o.t. passes. :)

All I can say at this point (having owned the truck since new and driven it for 3 years now), it is noticeably up (on the gas gauge). My wife has been driving it around the city and commented on it (without being prompted). She pays attention to things like that. Esp. with gas at $5.45 a gallon here.

I will give some exact numbers when I know them.

PS The avatar is a pic of the Dodge brothers. I wonder what they would think of tuning a vehicle via the internet from anywhere on the planet.

Ron

Last edited:
Sounds good to me!!:rock:

Please get us some 1/4 mile ET's AND MPH too!:D

Congrats on some awesome numbers,
Mileage will increase in about three weeks,thats about the time you will learn to drive a little easier!!!:D Meanwhile,enjoy the smile:rock:

Were your stock numbers really low or is that a product of the auto tranny? If our trucks are 500 hp, I would think our stock rwhp #'s would be in the 420-425rwhp range. On my '04 RC, I had bassani's, x-metal catless mids, K&N drop in, magnaflow, and B&G stage II and made 486rwhp and 523rwtq. Not trying to belittle your numbers just curious.

Jim

spdrcrj said:
Were your stock numbers really low or is that a product of the auto tranny? If our trucks are 500 hp, I would think our stock rwhp #'s would be in the 420-425rwhp range. On my '04 RC, I had bassani's, x-metal catless mids, K&N drop in, magnaflow, and B&G stage II and made 486rwhp and 523rwtq. Not trying to belittle your numbers just curious.

Jim

You aren't belittling my numbers; it is what it is, or was... The original dyno sheets looked pretty anemic back when the truck had 600 miles on it!

I was told that most Vipers are/were in the 425 h.p. range by (2) dyno operators in our area which is exactly where my truck was (with the auto) on a Dynojet AFTER a Stage 2, K&N drop in, B&B cat back and B&B Hi flows. Those changes made an improvement of 40+ horsepower so maybe that is the difference between the autos and the sticks?

This netted a 13.7 or 13.8 @ 103 which is about right for our altitude and frequent d.a. conditions.

I have heard the auto trannys in these trucks are power robbers and based on what you are telling me with your numbers, it is probably true.
I have to replace the tranny with a better one right away so when it is changed, maybe the numbers will be a bit higher???

I see you are in Florida. I wish we add your air!!

Ron

Last edited:
my base #s were 443 and 481 with bassinis and a cai and a stage 2 flash on a dynojet dyno so all numbers are different that is just how it is...........it is an rc

auto numbers

spdrcrj said:

Jim

Jim, stock on the dyno mine was like 350 or so on my 06 q/c.
Perry

I believe you guys are comparing dynojet vs mustang dyno numbers in some cases.

Ronnie:

good stuff. Get 'er to the track as soon as the weather (and your tranny rebuild) permit!

All the best.

spdrcrj said:

Jim

Assuming your numbers are from a DynoJet he is putting approx 110HP more to the ground than you when adjusting for the auto.....As Ron mentioned the Mustang dyno shows about 15% less than the DynoJet...using his math he would show about 566HP on a DynoJet...add about another 30HP for the auto trans loss vs manual and he is at 596HP corrected for comparison....that power approaches the land of FI...very impressive..:rock: ...........I also assume the Mustang dyno is correcting for elevation..if not the differences would be even more..

very good numbers,does that cam lope pretty good did you have to use a stall converter?

TNVIPER said:
...using his math he would show about 566HP on a DynoJet...add about another 30HP for the auto trans loss vs manual and he is at 596HP corrected for comparison....that power approaches the land of FI...very impressive
Not sure about the Mustang/Dynojet math or the 30 HP auto tranny loss but also consider these numbers are with the engine still breathing through stock manifolds...also very impressive. :rock:

ws62000 said:
very good numbers,does that cam lope pretty good did you have to use a stall converter?

The cam is small(isH) but has lift to take advantage of the heads. It does have a bit of a lope but not enough to give odd vacuum readings or trip codes. It has a nice broad, reasonably flat torque curve and isn't in the range of needing a converter.

Last edited:
If you don't mind saying, what did the Heads cost, and how much for the Install & Tune?

If you do mind, no big deal. TIA.:D

Hamrhead said:
If you don't mind saying, what did the Heads cost, and how much for the Install & Tune?

If you do mind, no big deal. TIA.:D

I don't mind.

The heads and cam were through a deal setup by Nathan and the savings were substantial. If you are looking for bang for the buck, there are cheaper ways to go than n.a. but n.a. is what I wanted. Besides it is a great future base for additional mods, s/c turbo or whatever.

I think Nathan is currently arranging the last group buy.

I just spoke with Jeff @ JM Cylinder Heads (the birthplace of the Strikers) and the heads are $6995 fully assembled, with the Jesel roller rockers and hardened push rods. You will have to add for valve cover spacers and a billet roller cam. The cam change is relatively cheap and helps take advantage of the heads. The cam choice I made was quite conservative but it is a heavy pig of a truck and I didn't want to change it enough to make it less than fully drivable.

The intake port takes a far more direct shot at the chamber than the stockers and requires an offset rocker. Plus the fact that the shaft mount Jesel gear won't fit under the stock covers. Plus gaskets, plugs, install costs if applicable, if you want a higher c.r., etc.

Tell your wife (if applicable); "Hey, it's time to change the antifreeze anyways, so I might as well buy the Strikers and cam now and do it all at once". It worked for me...

I did all of the install work myself because that is a good way to learn.

I left the manifolds alone as I think they work best that way for my application.

The tune was $699, I think, for the SCT handheld which includes "unlimited" tuning in that price. Find a good EXPERIENCED tuner that will work with you.

Last edited:
hunter_angler said:
Ronnie:

good stuff. Get 'er to the track as soon as the weather (and your tranny rebuild) permit!

All the best.

Thanks!
May or June around these parts... :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back