Stroker Crankshafts/ kits

OK since this question went past everyone-

How about someone experienced in offset grinding a stock V-10 crankshaft?

If my memory serves me correct then I can say some members have grinded their cranks down .020 and went with chevy rods and mains. I'm not sure as to the pros and cons of doing this but maybe someone will chime in.

Mine is done that way, you turn down the journal a minute amount to fit the rod.
Mine didnt go the stroker route, instead with mine I used a chevy rod with a custom placement pin.
on the stroker they use a custom rod, in a differnt length, with a custom piston with the pin placement moved

one of the reasons the facotry pistons go boom is if you look at the placement of the rings, they are at the very most upper region, with no support, this is why under detonation the rings lands give way and go booooom

Stinker said:
one of the reasons the facotry pistons go boom is if you look at the placement of the rings, they are at the very most upper region, with no support, this is why under detonation the rings lands give way and go booooom

Oh, you mean like this?:D

Attachments

• Blown piston profile 50%.JPG
    Blown piston profile 50%.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 88
or this maybe?
downsized_0606081509.jpg

DAMN!!!! I wonder now what kind of presents I will find in my oil pan.....

Tooloe said:
or this maybe?
downsized_0606081509.jpg

Ouch.... you really did go boom... I would frame those, mount them in a block of acrylic, and put in on your desk/whatever... and proudly display your well spent $20k+....

One advantage of going to the Chevy rods is you get a much stonger H beam rod, this is the route I went.

Joe

What is the std size of the throws and rod length of the Viper engines? To go the Chevy route would be way inexpensive compared to any others. Also was there any side clearance issues with the Chevy rods, maybe had to grind them down for proper rod side clearances?

I did the same thing with a 401 AMC motor that I built a couple years ago. Rods are inexpensive and a everyone has em, pistons can be custom made, a little pricey but prolly still cheaper.

well i talked to david Weaver From A.R.T.. hes been dealing with this for a while he says you mostly do this when you stroke a motor but the machine work to get it to fit a chevy rdo would be $$$ and also it's really not a chevy rods it's still a custom Rod From what i'm told....and yes i blew my motor to pieces..sad thing was i was really doing the speed limit and i'v only sprayed the truck 3 times

So you must've fractured the piston on one of them spray sessions- how big a shot was it?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back