STS Turbo Troubles

268johnson said:
The only number i can find is A/R 70??? where should i be looking?

So, either what should my bullet proof 800hp daily aprox cost? or what can i do for $20k.

You're looking for a tag, either on the compressor housing, or on the CHRA.

http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/turbos/identify_garrett.php

Figure 10-14 hours ($900-$1,700) to RDI and reinstall the engine, $800-$1200 for pistons, $500 for gaskets.

$2,500 for custom stainless headers/y-pipe.

$800 for cold side plumbing/fab.

$300-$1,200 (worst case) to sort out the fuel system.

$500-$2K for tuning/dyno time depending how how screwed up the tune/setup is.

You could also step up to an AEM plug and play for ~$4,500 (or ~$3K for a universal AEM EMS set up properly).

$6K-$15K depending on what you can reuse.

Then you've got $1K-$4K to beef up the transmission (depending on if its a 6psd or 48RE)

rear mount under a lowered truck....can't see it.

My shop wants to twin turbo it & build it to hold 1000 hp, I told them 800 hp and rock solid, too much HP = too many tickets:D . I checked out a few they built. Very nice custom work.

You've given me enough info to get a handle on the cost....now....where do i buy all of these go fast parts from? Any good one stop shops for the motor parts?

I'll check the link for the turbo parts....

BTW....i work for a metals supply company....i have unlimitted access to any and all tubing....this should cut out a little of the cost

There is no such thing as an 800 hp bullet proof Viper engine.

What are you going to do with the ride? Daily driver? Occasional trips to the strip? Never go to the strip?

How do you plan to get 800 rwhp to the ground...you will need a four-link to accomplish that...

A relatively safe 800 rwhp can be achieved in several ways...probably the easiest and safest is twin turbos...but you can get 800 in lots of ways.

The bigger question why 800?

I think you really need to think about what your goal really means. Do you just want to say "I have 800 hp"...or do you want to have the quickest truck at the strip? You say bullet proof...hmmmm...as the hp increases there is a direct correlation with the proximity of BOOM.

How about forgetting the 800 and going with a forged bottom end, and use NOS as a power adder to a really strong engine...?

You are not giving me enough to work on...oh, the twin turbo will be the most expensive but probably within the budget you mentioned for next March.

Bullet proof is a relevant term. It just means I want to build a motor in the best way to minimize the potentiall for the BOOM factor. I fully realize you can blow just about any motor and any power level.

800 is a good solid number that would give the truck enough power to out run almost anything on the street. It keeps the power level within reason where your not aiming sky high and trying to build a truck that becomes undriveable or unreliable. I feel with the proper internals, power adder and tuning, an 800 hp daily driver is not out of the question.

And this is why I'm here.....gathering info and suggestion so i don't spend a pile of cash for poor gains like i did this past spring.

In the end, it will be nothing more then a daily driver along with my 06 Jeep Liberty and 02 Ford Thunderbird. They all take thier turns. It doesn't need the ablility to lanch off the line, i'm more of the open highway racer. Nothing is more satisfying then seeing a exotic import come up and having the ability to pretty much make them look slow sitting in a 1/4 million dollar car, or making a snot nosed kid in "daddy's" sports car drive away sheepishly, beaten soundly by a truck.

Now that you know my progitive(thrill seeking)...do you have any sugestion on how to go fast as "safely" for the motor as possible?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum. I was looking at making a date for a meet over at MMP soon. Would love to have you come out. Need some pics of the truck on here so we can all oogle over it. :)

I think you could do it for less than 15k then you could have us over for a 5k party. :D

Last edited:
razorbackfan said:
Hello and welcome to the forum. I was looking at making a date for a meet over at MMP soon. Would love to have you come out. Need some pics of the truck on here so we can all oogle over it. :)

give me a quick education on inserting picts and i will be more then happy to post....

might want to touch base with Kevin @ Exotic Engine to get a good idea on what can be done for 800 ponies.

ya talkin flywheel or rear wheel horsepower?????

Stinker was gettin together a TT system.

oh, Howdy to the RBC.:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

Prof said:
There is no such thing as an 800 hp bullet proof Viper engine.

What are you going to do with the ride? Daily driver? Occasional trips to the strip? Never go to the strip?

How do you plan to get 800 rwhp to the ground...you will need a four-link to accomplish that...

A relatively safe 800 rwhp can be achieved in several ways...probably the easiest and safest is twin turbos...but you can get 800 in lots of ways.

The bigger question why 800?

I think you really need to think about what your goal really means. Do you just want to say "I have 800 hp"...or do you want to have the quickest truck at the strip? You say bullet proof...hmmmm...as the hp increases there is a direct correlation with the proximity of BOOM.

How about forgetting the 800 and going with a forged bottom end, and use NOS as a power adder to a really strong engine...?

You are not giving me enough to work on...oh, the twin turbo will be the most expensive but probably within the budget you mentioned for next March.

how many times has folks been told here to make a plan & do it.

the man has a goal/plan. startin the first steps of that plan/goal & bottom line, ya call it crap.

anything is possible. if the want to & cash is there, lol.

if a Gen II can make 750+ h.p. & run the 24 hrs of LeMans without prob one then 800 on a gen III for a DD should be no prob.

i think that once Dom gets his bugs worked out it will be a streetable beast, to run to the store or cruise the night away.

one thing for sure though, there is more than enough knowledge & most excellent workmanship on this forum to get the job done & done right.
:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

IMVHO of course:)

268johnson

hopefully that worked. Not a good pict....but it will do for now

ZCx said:
how many times has folks been told here to make a plan & do it.

the man has a goal/plan. startin the first steps of that plan/goal & bottom line, ya call it crap.

anything is possible. if the want to & cash is there, lol.

if a Gen II can make 750+ h.p. & run the 24 hrs of LeMans without prob one then 800 on a gen III for a DD should be no prob.

i think that once Dom gets his bugs worked out it will be a streetable beast, to run to the store or cruise the night away.

one thing for sure though, there is more than enough knowledge & most excellent workmanship on this forum to get the job done & done right.
:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

IMVHO of course:)
and thats it...just trying to do it right this time. went in looking for a ROE sc got talked into a STS...an expensive mistake...not looking to spend a pile of cash wrong again

viperhauler - thanks for the help...second day EVER on forums. Don't know how s#!t about them:dontknow:

268johnson said:
I was really expecting a lot closer to the published numbers for a $6000 kit, $2000 of extra parts for fuel and tuning and $2500 for the install and tuning. Add in an additional $1000 for the second shop and that's $11,500 or the $14000 spent. (ballance was on lowering kit, clutch kit, gauges ect..)

Jeebus! $2,000 in extra parts for the fuel system, and they didn't upgrade the fuel rails??!! $2,500 for a lowering kit, clutch, and gauges???!!! Did they upgrade the ignition system (controller, coils, etc.)?

Where exactly did they plumb in the "intercooler"?

Did they atleast buy you dinner first?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back