Subs under rear seat

Discussion in 'Viper Truck Builds - Project Logs/Recent Mods' started by ViperPete, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ViperPete

ViperPete Full Access Member

So my truck came with the MTX Thunderforms speaker box under the rear seat. To me the sound was always a 4/10. Better than nothing but still really really sub par. A buddy of mine needed money and I bought his Rockford Fosgate P3 10" subs from him. They are huge compared to the MTX subs. They are both 10" but I swear the RF is more like an 11" sub. Its way wider. At least the mounting ring is at least 1" wider.

To get them to fit I had to create some space. I made a ring out of 3/4" wood. The weird thing is that the opening in the sub box isn't perfectly round. Not even close. So I had to make this weird oval type shape. I also had to trim the mountings for the subs a little bit. I also have to raise the rear seats at least 3/4" to clear the box. Easy with some 1" round stock I had laying around. Fun little project. I hope they sound good!

I don't know if this was typical but I used some black RTV silicone on the underside of the wooden ring. The mounting surface is a little uneven and I was worried that the screws alone wouldn't make a tight seal.
    [​IMG]

Had some spare speaker box carpet from a project like 8 years ago. I am glad I don't get rid of anything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the difference!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, this music station or whatever on youtube is excellent.
    [​IMG]

2. 1buddyc

1buddyc Full Access Member

That is REALLY Sweet!:rock:

3. blazinsrt

blazinsrt Full Access Member

That speaker looks badass!! I bet you lose a lot of sound from that box. It doesnt look rigid enough for tight bass.

4. ViperPete

Its dense as hell actually. 1/4" of solid plastic. I am going to line the insides with dynamat i think.

5. blazinsrt

blazinsrt Full Access Member

Ok cool Just looks likes it would vibrate. I have a pair of 15" kicker solo barics I need to put in something. The square subs. To big for the truck without going completely custom.

6. ViperPete

15" subs are too big for everything lol.