Subwoofer Upgrade

OnceBit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the audio in my 06 RC SRT, but not with stock sub. Has anyone else done an upgrade using the factory enclosure and amplifiers? I'm just looking to upgrade the woofer itself right now...

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Give Santeen a Yell... He has the Scoop on how to get it done.. :)

You may want to look at a new Sub Amp as well because ours are known to give problems... :)

Love the audio in my 06 RC SRT, but not with stock sub. Has anyone else done an upgrade using the factory enclosure and amplifiers? I'm just looking to upgrade the woofer itself right now...

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Yeah it's pretty hard to get a sub into the stock enclosure tried several different subs got discouraged ripped it out and did a custom box for behind the seat no I have 2 kicker 10's in there. Getting rid of those and building another box for in the center where the stock 1 was and using a Kicker solo baric L7 in there.

So, I guess from what your saying not just any sub will fit in the factory enclosure? Has anyone tried a JL audio sub? I only ask because I have access to some JLs, but there's no sense in pulling stuff apart if someone already knows it won't fit. Thanks

From what I can tell, the stock enclosure would require the use of a shallow mount sub. I do have a 12" JL W7 and JL 1000:1 amp that I would LOVE to use from my former project vehicle, but I know the air requirements for the sub are just too much to pack into the reg cab truck without a major subwoofer enclosure custom built....

in desperate need of factory infinity ams for sub and speakers

seller stole before he dropped off

So, I guess from what your saying not just any sub will fit in the factory enclosure? Has anyone tried a JL audio sub? I only ask because I have access to some JLs, but there's no sense in pulling stuff apart if someone already knows it won't fit. Thanks

I stuffed a jl sub in the factory box (after some trimming to the inside of the box) and it sounded like shiiiiiiit!

My opinion... Spend some money, and get a box built and a new amp. The factory setup is junk.

Mine had a blown sub when i bought the truck, so i went to best buy just for replacement speaker and they said just any speaker would not work with the amp.
He said the amp operates at low watts and is designed spacifically for stock subs only. like special speaker amp combo. :confused:

Said i needed a oem replacement. Well they want like $700 for that so building my own system.......eventually

Anywho. is thuis true or did the guy sell me a line of shit:mad:

This will fit into the stock box with a little trimming of the speaker hole and snipping of the wires. The stock grill is also useable.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/MB-Quart-Reference-RLP254-Woofer/dp/B00375LCDO]Amazon.com: MB Quart Reference RLP254 10" Flat Woofer 600 Watts Maxx 300 Watts RMS: Electronics[/ame]

I also replaced just the sub speaker and its sounds much better .I did have to trim the box up a little for it to fit.let me see if I can Find info on that speaker.it has to be a dual voice coil 4 ohm speaker.

Last edited:
I'm aware that this is an old thread, however I have a question that still might be relevent to the sub woofer replacement.

The last post mentioned dual 4 OHM voice coils.
This is normally used to acheive 2 OHM load 1/4+1/4=(1/(1/2)=2 OHM

Is a 2 OHM load the spec for the factory amp?
If so then the best choice would be something with a ultra high effeciency sub.

Take a look at Illusion Audio carbon or the older ND series if you can find them. They have a ultra light weight cone and are very effecient. They also are a 2 OHM voice coil. These are SQ type subs and are pricey but if you dont want to redesign but want the best sound this might be the way to go.
Cerwin Vega and Diamond audio also make a shallow sub in this design and can be had for about $180ish

From what I can tell, the stock enclosure would require the use of a shallow mount sub. I do have a 12" JL W7 and JL 1000:1 amp that I would LOVE to use from my former project vehicle, but I know the air requirements for the sub are just too much to pack into the reg cab truck without a major subwoofer enclosure custom built....

Check out the pix in my garage. I installed the JL amps and the JL sub in the "tool bin" behind the seats. I custom built my enclosure from MDF and the lids from flooring material. I have more pix that I didn't post. I think I will have the drawing for the sub box.

Check out the pix in my garage. I installed the JL amps and the JL sub in the "tool bin" behind the seats. I custom built my enclosure from MDF and the lids from flooring material. I have more pix that I didn't post. I think I will have the drawing for the sub box.

I wouldn't mind seeing the drawing for the box.

I put a JL sub in stock box and dynomat entire box. I replace my whole system though including a good 5 channel amp mounted in stock location. Im happy with my setup, sounds sooooo much better now.
I would strongly suggest dynomat the stock box if u up grade the sub amp

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back