Supercharger help

Furyous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking into superchargers and have come up with some scratch to get the Roe.

I like the Paxton but it looks like that takes a lot more to get installed and tuned (One of the local shops quoted me $12.2k to install the Paxton.)

On the other hand I can get the Roe for around $7k(includes the extra cost for a QC) and install it myself. Also the tuning seems pretty straightforward with the included VEC III and cards.

I have heard nothing but good about both these units. I really want some more power without doing the nitrous thing ($1.2k - $1.5k for a decent system).

$7k I can do, I might even be able to go as high as $9k total price for full warrantied install but $12.2 is out of reach.

To tell the truth, the main thing I dislike about the Roe is the possibility of sucking water in the air intake if you drive in the rain (this is my daily driver).

I don't care as much about track performance as I do about street performance. I want instant power ;)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated on this. Even $7.5k is a HUGH investment for me so I want to make sure it gets done right the first time.

Opps, I forgot to mention, I did look into turbo chargers a bit but I have heard bad things about the one from STS and didn't see any other offerings.

Furyous said:
Opps, I forgot to mention, I did look into turbo chargers a bit but I have heard bad things about the one from STS and didn't see any other offerings.

STS is not a true turbo charger system. You would be better off with hooking up your engine to a leaf blower in my opinion.

There is a good place for doing a TC system, but it will cost you close to, if not twice what the Roe will.

As far as $$ and Daily Driver....keep in mind that the power of the Roe is going to require some Transmission mods as well....

As the longest existing Roe TMTS install I wish I could address your "water intake" question, but my truck is a fair weather truck only. I do want to point out that the hood scoop is a low pressure area at speed. It extracts hot air, cool air comes from under the engine. Most of the air that comes to the air filter on the front of the throttle body comes through the front grill, over the oil cooler and radiator. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with ingestion of water with the Roe system.

Don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance. You have made a super decision.

Even with a Roe you'll need to get it tuned. You cant go wrong no matter which supercharger you decide on. Underground Racing will do turbos but I think it will be out of your budget.

If you have stock internals dont go any higher then about 5.5 psi of boost or you'll be heading into dangerous territory keeping the motor from blowing up.

Again, no matter which supercharger you get the tune is CRITICAL!

The issue of sucking up water is present with the Paxton as well....

The way it was explained to me was, "don't make boost while driving through deep puddles...... Both units apparently have a large port to draw air into the system.....

As long as you don't open it up (make boost) in deep water or in a bloody hurricane whilst escaping the flood waters.... You'll be alright..... at least with the Paxton.....

I'll leave Roe expertise to Roy and others......

D

Furyous said:
To tell the truth, the main thing I dislike about the Roe is the possibility of sucking water in the air intake if you drive in the rain (this is my daily driver).

I was very concerned about driving in the rain, but this is my daily driver also so I said WTF. So its been 3 months of Florida's summer at its best: torrential rains on my way from work almost every day.
So far so good, not a single glitch, cough, snarl, or similar complaint comming from my engine bay. A couple of weeks ago I relocated my filter to a cold box, which has also worked out very well.

The only thing that concerns me is the open card slot on the VEC3, so I'm just gonna build a splash shield for when things get out of hand.

With respect to DaveT's comment, I found the tune on the ROE is important, but I would not go as far as calling it critical. The performance VEC3 card from Sean works extremely well on my truck... not as much HP as a good tune, but pretty close. You'd be very happy with the performance gain from the standard card tune.

If you have any mechanical skills at all,you can do the paxton!!!:)
Its not as hard as some might lead you to believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the payoff is hugh,Ive installed a few myself:burnout:
Tuning is cake:rock: PM me with any questions,I,ll give you my #!!!

Django said:
The way it was explained to me was, "don't make boost while driving through deep puddles......

Now that is a quote for all times.

Could be a great tag line for the VTCOA banner!

Prof said:
Now that is a quote for all times.

Could be a great tag line for the VTCOA banner!

Hell, that same admonition was given to me when I had the bigger turbo jets and pop charger installed in my Z32 TT.......... The opening for the intake went from a grated opening with a K&N filter over it, to a gaping bloody hole with a small lampshade looking affair around it......

Jim Wolf looked at me and said, "Timmy, remember one thing... These Zs are really low to the ground and the pop charger is exposed to any water that's under the front end..... DO NOT MAKE BOOST IN ANY DEEP PUDDLES... that is, unless you wanna huge gulp of water into your intakes.... Can you say, JDM motor...?"

D

Tranny Work. May as well gete it done upfront.

My tranny took a dump after 3 days.
I installed my VEC in the cab inside the radio pocket. No water issues to worry about. As for the intake, I drive my truck in the rain of Western Wa with no issues yet. When it is raining, the top of my engine is still dry, so I believe my intake is still getting dry air.

Whatever you plan on doing do it fast before your wife finds other places for the money like mine did :mad:

Well I have been trying each and every way I can think of to get the Paxton installed under 10K but no go. I really would like the warranty of getting it bought and installed from the same place but it isn't worth the extra $5 over the cost of the SC.

If anyone knows a shop that will install and warranty their work under 10k let me know please. If not I may end up installing it myself or skipping it entirely. The thought of losing my warranty is starting to bother me :)

How much does a good tranny run? Maybe I can squeeze the Roe and a new tranny into the budget?

I fear that a warranty with a supercharger is an unrealistic expectation...while some may be willing at a price I believe that the norm would be to go with a highly reputable installer (one of the four or five that are used by us) that is known to stand behind their product...but this is a pretty high performance modification. If there is a problem with the install they will stand behind their work, but in most cases, shit happens in this realm...I never asked for a warranty and didn't expect one. As a matter of fact if it blew during dyno testing I figured it would have been my scrap...not Roe's.

tinygiants said:
Tranny Work. May as well gete it done upfront.

My tranny took a dump after 3 days.
I installed my VEC in the cab inside the radio pocket. No water issues to worry about. As for the intake, I drive my truck in the rain of Western Wa with no issues yet. When it is raining, the top of my engine is still dry, so I believe my intake is still getting dry air.

Even with the VEC in the cab you need to be carefull of getting water on the connections!!!

Where are you located? We could give you HIGHLY reputable installers that will stand behind the product.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Where are you located? We could give you HIGHLY reputable installers that will stand behind the product.
Southern California

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back