Supercharger low HP numbers

Discussion in 'Dyno Stuff' started by BLWNSRT, Nov 1, 2009.

1. kennygene

kennygene Full Access Member

You need Sean Roe. See my sig numbers and thos are with only a K&N drop and cat back.

2. FerrariTruck

FerrariTruck Full Access Member

jts venom perf is what i heard:dontknow: ;) ;) :D :D :D

3. JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE Active Member Preferred Vendor

she wouldnt come outta here less than 600 home boy:p

4. Roe Racing

Roe Racing Full Access Member

Hi Everyone,

There’s something different here and I’m not sure what yet, but I’m helping Jeff eliminate some variables and do some tests.
    The puzzling part is why the same parts and same programs are running so rich on his. I ran into a situation a couple months ago on another truck that did the same thing out in Texas (mega rich and stock like power). I had the guy check a few things and then had him check boost. It was making 13 psi! They started checking and found the cats were clogged. The high boost pressure that resulted from the air not being able to get out caused the programming to go into a heavier enrichment and lower timing advance table. So, the low power and rich mixture were both symptoms and the rich mixture was not the cause.
    When Jeff called, I figured he may have a similar situation. So far, that hasn’t been the case and I’ve been helping him check things that could be causing this. So far, nothing has come up, but I did remember that he’s using an air intake that we don’t offer with the kit and I’ve never tested (not saying that’s what it is, it’s just a variable to be looked at). I asked him to check the vacuum on the inlet of the SC during a pull to see what it does.
    In the mean time, I emailed him a program last night with 20% less fuel. It concerns me that we’re having to make such a change though.
    Here’s the last ’06 RC we did. The two graphs are the same pulls with the correction factor set at actual and SAE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We’ll get to the bottom if this.

Regards,
    Sean

PS, I've been crazy busy since we downsized last year, taking on so much of the work myself. Sorry I haven't had time to get on here. I hope everyone is well!

5. Prof

Prof New Member Supporting Member

Sooooo nice to have Sean check in!

Hope all is well in North Florida Sean.

6. eddie102870

eddie102870 Active Member Supporting Member

sure is...i still say loose the cats or have some gutted

7. BLWNSRT

BLWNSRT Member Supporting Member

So i did a compression test all around 155. Everything looks good i am thinking of pulling the supercharger off to see if there is anything out of the ordinary. I tried the new 20% less tune didnt even make it down the street, it made some scary noises at 3000rpm. I think that was too much fuel removed.

Any ideas please step forward, Thanks

Exhaust= Ok, not plugged
    Boost= around 6psi
    Belt= good
    Injectors= all good on the right cylinders
    Spark plugs/wires= Look good all gapped bosch one step colder.
    Throttle body= good opens to 100% and tps reads 100% also.

I was the one who installed at my shop i am a journeyman mechanic and have build other vehicles before. This is my other toy i have. this pic is from the 2007 mopar show. Now it has a 5.9 bored to 6.1 R/T heads and a paxton

Attached Files:

8. FerrariTruck

Well i had a similar scenario one time on a m3...
    The car was running pig rig and for no apparent reason...I looked into the fuel trim tables and found that the ecm was the one pulling fuel..

It took me a while what i found that upstream 02 sensors were swapped on to the wrong banks.. So essentially the ecm kept making adjustments but not getting the correcting readings via the 02's it was just making it worse..(turns out he had the cats/headers swapped for catless headers at a perf shop)

Might be the case, i still say gut the cats completely and check the 02s'
    Also check for intake leaks and boost leaks. make sure the blow off is working correctly...

ill keep thinking on it

9. FerrariTruck

you should check injector pw thru the dyno run and see what it is

10. BLWNSRT

I will get a buddy of mine to drive it while i watch the scanner I will check the inj. pulse width, the misfire monitor maybe there is a bad plug and the timing and Map readings. But i just finished pulling it all apart to double check everything and now i am going to install the Msd wires i have for it.

11. FerrariTruck

by the way? do you have a wideband 02 monitor on each bank? or just one?

12. Prof

Prof New Member Supporting Member

Super thread...sorry for the problems...but this is very interesting.

You will get to the point where you can pull the Roe SC in about half an hour...

Have you considered the Adams wires rather than the MSD? Just a little more bling...probably not a concern at this point...but just a suggestion.

Be assured, Sean will not drop this issue until it is solved.

13. BLWNSRT

Got the wires in last night drove it didnt seem like any difference but monday i will find out if it did improve. What Sean and I were thinking is maybe with the factory wires we were not getting a complete fuel burn in the cylinders so there was no misfire but all the fuel wasnt being burned causing low HP numbers and the Rich on the A/F monitor.

14. robwclark

robwclark Full Access Member

Dude listen up. I havent read evey response to this post so if I repeat someone elses advice, excuse me. OK your rich, and not just normal rich, your crazy rich! Most Air/fuel monitors only go to 10:1, so your way richer than 10:1. You dont need new wires, your old ones are fine as long as its not misfiring. Your SCT must have some kind of "massive rich" program, or your injectors are larger and the SCT program isnt correcting. You wont make any poweruntil you get the air/fuel above 11:1. In-fact, I wouldnt run it on the dyno or any kind of wide open use until you fix this rich condition. You seriously could hurt the motor when your THAT rich. OK back to the fix. You need to be completely re-tuned, period. Get the truck to someone that can get all the fuel out of the program.

15. BLWNSRT

We tried a different tune with less fuel (no too much less) it didnt work it Pinged so bad at 3000rpm that we put it back to the other tune. After alot of emails and thinking the Incomplete burn made more sense, it seems to run smoother but i have to wait till monday to see whats going on.

16. robwclark

robwclark Full Access Member

You need to get the truck to someone that can adjust the program in the truck real world. Emailing programs is plain shooting in the dark. I know this is sucky advice, but I would get the truck to Roe. If Sean has the truck there, he can fix it fast. BTW, you need headers badly. Once tuned you will see a minimum 30WHP. Get rid of all the cats too. Is the engine light on? If so, get it to a dealer. 06 models use a different tech tool called a Star-Scan with much better diagnostics than the old DRB. They could at least check for any problems with sensors. Anyway, I feel pretty certain, all you need is a good program, but this can old be had by real world programming. I wish I was close man, I would try and get her going.

17. BLWNSRT

UPDATE:

So after spending $452.00 at 4 differend days of dynoing and 10 or so runs we got the A/F ratio fairly decent the HP gain 5hp :mad: Yup the difference between full on rich 10 and 11.5-12.5 is 5hp.

The last run i made today was 451hp and 494tq.

The last one a week ago was 446hp and 504tq.

so know the truck is parked for winter and i am quite mad a the whole thing now, this last run i did install a data recorder into the DLC so i will see exactly what was going on with the engine during the run.

Any ideas? I wish Sean was closer to me. He was suggesting that i send it back to him and he will try it on a truck.

18. 505'sFastestViper.

505'sFastestViper. Full Access Member

well that just does not sound right how much boost are you making ??????is belt slip a possibility??????maybe the 2000 took a crap???? just trhoin ideas out there1

19. BLWNSRT

Forgot to add that in I make 4.5-5.09#'s of boost thats at an altitude of 2374ft. so 1# isnt going to make 100rwhp (i wish)

20. Yellow venom

Yellow venom Boosted Venom Supporting Member

Who did yout tuning on the dyno and where are you at?:dontknow: