Supercharger low HP numbers

Sean did the tune and Neil did the runs at HP solutions Edm.

Did you check the bypass valve to make sure it is opening all the way. Boost numbers seem low. As a general rule, 1 lbs of boost equals 22 rwhp. If you're low 3 lbs, it would make sense you're coming 66 rwhp short. You need to chase your low boost numbers. 517 rwhp should be closer to the number you're looking for considering your elevation.

Sounds like you have a few different problems...

1) your only getting 4.5#s of boost
2) if you got your a/fs to 11.5-12.5 as stated (12.5 is way too lean IMO, but that's another topic), something else is not right to make only 450hp w/ 4.5#'s
3)data logging is your friend, you have no way to tell whats going on until you log it or take it to someone who can...
4)you mentioned detonation - your KS should be pulling timing back on your 06, how badly is it detonating? Are you sure its detonation your hearing?! It might be pulling so much timing back (KS) its showing on your dyno

i think i know what is wrong,i had a similar problem a few months ago,replace your plugs with ngk 5671a-8 (4554) gap them at 24.

i know the gap seems tight and some might say 26,but 24 worked quite well.
plugs are like 2 bucks a piece,santeen is using them in his truck as well.

good luck

There is no more pinging that was a bad tune way back. And of course the data logger isnt working right now i tried it on my labtop so i will try it tomorrow at work. The previous tune i had a scanner with me. The attachment was from last week with a tune to try leaning it out a bit it was off a bit but made an improvement from the 417hp i had before.

Timing was 18 degress (91 tune running 94oct)
Map was 2.6-2.7v

Attachments

• Jeff data 3 -20% out.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Ramchargerguy said:
There is no more pinging that was a bad tune way back. And of course the data logger isnt working right now i tried it on my labtop so i will try it tomorrow at work. The previous tune i had a scanner with me. The attachment was from last week with a tune to try leaning it out a bit it was off a bit but made an improvement from the 417hp i had before.

Timing was 18 degress (91 tune running 94oct)
Map was 2.6-2.7v

18 degrees @ what..?

3400rpm 13.38 a/f @ 5.02psi.... that's just scary IMO

The graphs. the first one is the stock 91 tune with MSD wires and the other is with 20% less fuel with MSD wires, the third one was the 91 tune with stock spark plug wires.

Attachments

• jeff run 2 resize.bmp
    864.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Jeff run 3 resize.bmp
    864.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Jeff run 1 resize.bmp
    864.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
RedSrt007 said:
18 degrees @ what..?

3400rpm 13.38 a/f @ 5.02psi.... that's just scary IMO

That was a trial tune the one today was way better at 11-12 range and 10 at the top end. the timing was 18 degrees all the way to redline as soon as the boost kicked in.

Yellow venom said:
Oh your here in Edmonton,Thats where I'm having mine dynoed at too,it won't be long now and it will be running!:rock:

My truck barely fits on his dyno so he may have to do something different unless you have been there before

flchub said:
i think i know what is wrong,i had a similar problem a few months ago,replace your plugs with ngk 5671a-8 (4554) gap them at 24.

i know the gap seems tight and some might say 26,but 24 worked quite well.
plugs are like 2 bucks a piece,santeen is using them in his truck as well.

good luck

Are those the ones that Sean supplies i dont have the original package here with me and why exactly is that the problem???

Never mind the ones he sent i am pretty sure are bosch, i thought you werent suppose to run platinum or iriduim plugs in forced induction, my other truck ran like crap with ngk platinum plugs and i took out the iridiums i had in the srt i am almost certain they are the same number

Last edited:
Ramchargerguy said:
That was a trial tune the one today was way better at 11-12 range and 10 at the top end. the timing was 18 degrees all the way to redline as soon as the boost kicked in.
18 isnt right across the board, its needs to be tuned properly in accordance w/ the fuel tables and other factors (KR, Fuel octane). This could be part of your problem...

A good starting point is going to be 2 degrees per # retard. So 18 @ 3500 w/ 5psi sounds high w/o meth..on the other hand 18 @ 6k w/ 5# sounds a bit on the low side. Cant tell over the internet, hold your keyboard up against your motor :D

I would work on your boost situation also, Check your vac @ before the TB in WOT, and boost after the discharge.

FL had a good point, your plugs need to be checked also to make sure your running the right ones w/ the proper gap.

plugs ordered $2.95 each, hey whats $31 if it works.

Ramchargerguy said:
plugs ordered $2.95 each, hey whats $31 if it works.
goodluck,btw u can find those plugs at just about any auto parts store,the speed shop who put my fuel pumps and injectors in helped me out with the plugs and gapping,hope it works

sucks to see you havent got this fiqured out yet ,

Well since your boost is a lil low maybe the valve isnt closed all the way as someone suggested.

take a look at the rear and check to see that its sitting on the stop..see pic
the pic is taken if you were to be looking at the blower from the driver seat
dashnov09039.jpg

another thing you can check to see if that valve is opening and closing all the way is you place a paperclip or hair clip on the rod of the vacuum actuator. When the valve actuates it will slide the clip(or bonny pin) on the rod and indicate the travel of the actuator. Hopefully it has sufficient travel.

With the motor of or no vacuum on the actuator the valve should be fully closed. see pics

dashnov09034.jpg

actuator from the top view

dashnov09035.jpg

here the actuator again with a black bobby pin on the shaft right up against the actuator.

dashnov09036.jpg

here is me manually actuating the actuator which pushes the rod in and sliding the pin on rod indicating its travel.

dashnov09037.jpg

overhead pic showing how far it moved

dashnov09038.jpg

a pic from the side of the blower

you could check this maybe just by driving around

Thanks, I have a vacuum pump and will check it later today, as for driving i parked it for the winter its snowing now and i dont want to drive it. From what it looks like and what Sean said low boost may the problem, if i am low 3#'s thats 66rwhp approx. so i will be where i should be. He said there was a problem a few years ago with poor clearences with the chargers causing low boost.

pse superchargers rebuilt mine after a bearing took a dump. if you have to i would use them they can port it too for ya.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back