Tall highway gears?

MrBIGWORM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After blowing up my last SRT10,I definately will NOT be racing this one. That being said,I was wondering if it would help increase my fuel mileage if I changed my rear end gears. Does anyone here have any helpful suggestions?
I am not sure if this is even a good idea or not,so i thought Id ask yall first. I was thinking 3:73 or whatever is the best Dodge equivelant.... and would this increase overall top speed? At 70mph I average around 2500rpms....i was hoping to drop that down to a little under 2k...is this even possible?:dontknow:

The auto is tough on fuel because of the auto, but yes, gearing will help...as fat stated, lots of 4:10's around..maybe even free!

But, I thought I already have 4:10's or 4:56's... 4:10s are more like 1/4 mile gears...I want something that has a taller final gear to keep my rpms lower at higher speeds. Im sure I'll have to sacrifice some off the line power,but thats ok..if it saves some gas on long trips. Any ideas ? Anybody?

MrBIGWORM said:
But, I thought I already have 4:10's or 4:56's... 4:10s are more like 1/4 mile gears...I want something that has a taller final gear to keep my rpms lower at higher speeds. Im sure I'll have to sacrifice some off the line power,but thats ok..if it saves some gas on long trips. Any ideas ? Anybody?

You have 4.56s..

My truck runs around 1400 rpms at 70 with 4:10s on manual trans if I remember correctly.

go with 4.10s first bro on the auto , they are geared totally different, I have offered my 4.10s for free with exchange for your 4,56 gears and the person pay for shipping only jsut to find out if the 4.10 would actually help out with mileage and how it would affect the overall performance factor of the auto.

so far no one has takn me up on it

SANTEEN said:
I've been contimplating a 4:10 swap, also.
If you want your truck to put down some decent 1/8th or 1/4 mile times you had better leave the 4.56's in. Chub don't know what the hell he is talking about!!!:p :p :p :p

MrBIGWORM said:
After blowing up my last SRT10,I definately will NOT be racing this one. That being said,I was wondering if it would help increase my fuel mileage if I changed my rear end gears. Does anyone here have any helpful suggestions?
I am not sure if this is even a good idea or not,so i thought Id ask yall first. I was thinking 3:73 or whatever is the best Dodge equivelant.... and would this increase overall top speed? At 70mph I average around 2500rpms....i was hoping to drop that down to a little under 2k...is this even possible?:dontknow:
4:10's should work fine,i wouldnt go any lower without upgrading your torque by atleast 100ft lbs.

rpms should drop about 300

FATJACK said:
If you want your truck to put down some decent 1/8th or 1/4 mile times you had better leave the 4.56's in. Chub don't know what the hell he is talking about!!!:p :p :p :p
when you decide to start spending money then u can talk,shhhhhhhhhhhh:elefant: :elefant:

hahaha.....like i said....Im not really worried about racing. I used to have a 1984 GMC with a 454 in it,when i was much younger. It drank more gas than this big V10 does! (beleive it or not!) And I beleive (dont quote me! dammit!) (cause i dont remember exactly) it had 4:11's or 4:10s in it. And I only got about 5 or 7 miles to the gallon (yes it was "hopped up on steroids") But, my dad (yes he was a mechanic by trade- GOD rest his soul) changed out my rear end gears to "taller highway gears"-he called them. I think they were 3:73s ,but like i said my memory isnt what it used to be! haha And i might be confusing it with another "HOT ROD" that me OR he had through the years.

BUT, I am interested in any ideas....And if swapping to the 4:10s are my only BETTER option...then ok,im all for it! haha AFTER I RECOVER from the christmas sspending spree! lol

haha oh ya...after the swap,it got like 10 miles to the gallon. which was an improvement!

flchub said:
dont you mean procrastinating
No, I was hoping there would be a set for me under your Christmas tree.:D :elefant:

flchub said:
when you decide to start spending money then u can talk,shhhhhhhhhhhh:elefant: :elefant:
Merry Christmas Chubby:reddy: :reddy: :reddy: :reddy: :reddy: :reddy: :reddy: :reddy: :reddy: :reddy: :reddy: :reddy:

FATJACK said:
I'm not sure about the 1/8 mile, Jack. It may actually help me. As it is, I can almost stay in second through the 1/8th. If I leave it in second it hits the rev limiter about a 100 yards befor the finish. The 4:10's may allow me to stay in second all the way through, so I'd be eliminating one shift. My main reason would be for gas mileage. With the bigger injectors, my gas mileage has gone to shit. I haven't calculated yet, but I bet I'm around 5 - 6 city.

swaping to 4.10's should get your rpms ar 70 down to about 2100, to check your fuel mileage you could just drive down the highway at 2100rpm for a few days then check your mileage and it should give you a pretty good idea of what you'll get with 4.10's

thanx....

now i know that there are other gears besides just 4:10s and 4:56s. I guess i just need to consult a mechanic.

My 4.10's got me inceredible fuel milage. I've shown members on here where I am in 6th gear cruising at over 100 and still my RPM's are between 1.5k and 2k. DAMN! That's nice.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back