The absolute worst part of my truck!!

outnumbered

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The headlights!

I love the look, but the lack of illumination is terrible. I have Recon's with Silverstar bulbs. Can any of you give me some ideas on what you have done? I'm looking for a smoked out look, so as to stay with the theme of the truck, but I need lumens! Have you found an aftermarket set that are nice and bright without going HID, or have you found an HID kit that works like it should without any quirks? Help.

PIAA or Phillip's are supposed to be brighter than the SS's.

PIAA or Phillip's are supposed to be brighter than the SS's.

I'm not sure that it's specifically the overall brightness of the bulb, as much as it it the Recon design. The lights--I guess the correct term have "halos". So it's a a ring of light, rather than a solid concentration of light. It's either that, or the color/thickness of the lens....not sure. Bottom line is that it is very difficult to see at night.

What is the bulb# you need for the projectors?????

Without HID's I'm not sure what brand regular bulb would work best for you.......

It looks like E has me taken care of. He sent me the links to a kit he used, and is making a pigtail for me to tie it all together. I'll keep you posted. Perfect world if I get to keep my existing lights, and drastically improve illumination.

Have you thought about LED headlights? I just installed a set in a Tacoma and will be installing them in a Mini Cooper when they come in. They look awesome with a nice white light.

Have you thought about LED headlights? I just installed a set in a Tacoma and will be installing them in a Mini Cooper when they come in. They look awesome with a nice white light.

I was wondering about those. Are they brighter than hids?

I would be curious about the LED as well. I absolutely love how bright my 55W 6000K HIDs are, but i really hate the flicker/ bouncing that they do constantly. Not sure if balasts are going bad or bulbs are just cheep. But it is really annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to any particular one's?

Going from an 08 hemi truck to my 06-10 i couldnt believe how weak my headlights were on the 10...what did ma mopar change from 06 to 08...If mine were like my 08 (as far as over all brightness) i would be happy :dontknow:

Ive got a pair of Acura 2008 TL Bi-level Xenon projectors. (for sale if your interested)

Mount those badboys inside a factory ram headlight housing with a good pair of ballast, and you will have 500% better lighting.

I was going to put them into my headlights but decided not to.

Installed a pair in my Avenger, and my 2007 Honda CBR1000RR

Garagepic.jpg

2.jpg

Just go with HIDs and a GOOD set, not that cheap ebay garbage. Your local car customization shop probably has them in stock right now. I got all 4 (heads and fogs) installed with a warranty at a shop across town and they light up the night!

The LEDs I use are on back order now. Here is a pic of the Tacoma with headlights and fog lights. They are bright and give a nice white light.
ypu9y6us.jpg
3usehyze.jpg
7avyvuhe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to go for LED without getting issues with cops, you might
consider JW Speaker LED 7" headlamps. Modell 8700, street legal with DOT

We have one guy that made the conversion on his 06 RAM.

Nice bright light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Get aftermarket black stock looking headlights, put HID's in them, LED turn signals, and red halos :rock:
The black housings do scatter the light more than the OEM housings though. I do like that idea of the Acura projectors installed though. For awhile we had someone on here that would build custom headlights. Who was that?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back