the boat i am aiming for

scoobert

Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Reaction score
well its official, starting tomorrow my first full time employee will start.
the second one is in training.
so i can start working on the new goals for the new year.
here it is.
http://www.pacificmarine.org/boat-listings/custom-steel-trawler-85/specs.shtml
i know the aim is high, but it is the perfect boat.
it can go anywhere, in any weather.
the range is 7500 miles.

plan to convert those V8 diesels to cummins I6.
hoping with the right speed to get 1MPG, instead of 0.5mpg
that would give me a range of 15,000 miles on one tank.
with a fillup cost of $50,000.
it is a 15,000gallon tank
also will be changing the small generator to the onan 5000.
that should stretch my time off dock to a few years if i need to/ want to.
throw in a few solar panels and a wind turbine for good measure.

i am also starting to look for a piece of land with a dock.
cant do the loop on this boat, that is for sure.
i should probably get my 100ton captains license
then i can offer expedition/charters.
this would be the perfect boat to go to Antarctica with, with a dozen or so people.

what-cha think?
:captain::captain::captain::captain::captain::captain::captain:

now your talking , only problem is fuel, you would have to use it to charter people around to actually pay for the fuel.. But to live on it and drive short distances would be perfect.. whats the cost?

yep, should cost me about 4K a month on payments, and another 1K for dockage, a month. thats why i would like a place with a dock.

Last edited:
hell of a boat:rock::rock::rock:

what model Cummins ya thinkin bout??

mechanical or electronic???

might check to see if a DDEC 8V92 would get better fuel mileage??:dontknow:

repowers aren't cheap

tolls.
there is a bug in the toll system. i can get a tug boat with bardges thru for $14.
land. any place on the lower hudson will work, can be had with water rights for about 30K, no house.
for the cummins i was thinking the 8.3 or the 5.9 marine.
the smaller the engine the better the MPG. i would do 150HP units if i thought it could do it in high winds.
i would do the repower 100% myself.

oh yes lol. you have to hire a crew. i was looking into it, and it seemed to be under a grand. i would be leaving it out there from spring to fall. would do the repower there. over the entire winter i would very slowly motor home, at whatever speed gets the most MPG. i don't care if the trip takes 6 months.
the panama canal will be the highlight of the trip.

dude ,,,would,nt it be better to buy a nice lil house somewere on the coast and find a woman to share your life with instead ,,how are you going to do the up keep on that say 10 years down the road ,,,nice dream but DAMN ! not trying to insult ya cuz ,,,im just saying :dontknow:

Its a great boat no doubt but have you done any research on the lifecycle cost? Its relatively inexpensive for a reason you know. The peeps that had it probably could not afford to keep it. My friend here on City Island has a similar sized fishing boat . He said it costs > 100k year. Plus he has a 100 ton license from the Coast Gaurd. Do you have that qualification?...Just some food for thought.:)

Last edited:
dude ,,,would,nt it be better to buy a nice lil house somewere on the coast and find a woman to share your life with instead ,,how are you going to do the up keep on that say 10 years down the road ,,,nice dream but DAMN ! not trying to insult ya cuz ,,,im just saying :dontknow:

i really don't like women that much. i surely do not want one hanging out at my place for very long.
never had that whole call of life thing. in fact i cannot tolerate children.
i prefer the company of my own kind, K9.
frankly, i see this entire country falling apart in my lifetime, and while everyone back on the mainland is going thru a famine, and war, i will be parked in the ocean, eating my pasta, rice, and can goods.
THAT might make me nuts, but remember the story of the ant and the grasshopper.
i also like to move around, got itchy feet. i like to explore. i want to visit the volcanos in alaska, see japan, visit russia, africia, austrailia, antarticia, tibet, if china ever give it back.

Its a great boat no doubt but have you done any research on the lifecycle cost? Its relativley inexpensive for a reason you know. The peeps that had it probably could not afford to keep it. My friend here on City Island has a similar sized fishing boat . He said it costs > 100k year. Plus he has a 100 ton license from the Coast Gaurd. Do you have that qualification?...Just some food for thought.:)

mentioned getting it in my first post.
100K a year? think your friend is bs'in you.
even if i put a brand new pair of V8 diesels in each year, hauled and painted it, and filled the tanks with fuel, i still would just barely have 100K into it.
the boat is good for about 80 years MAX. in fact if i see one more wood 70' boat from the 40's i will puke.

if gettin the max fuel mileage out of her, don't that mean a reg. bottom scrappin & that's a dry dock item ain't it???

To start he pays over 50 k a year in insurance.
BTW are you planing any deck mounted cannons or depth charges?:)
Hey when you get it stop by I would love to see it
http://mapq.st/gyOqCQ

Last edited:
i would love a deck gun, dont think its allowed.
50K a year? never. would not be shocked with 3-5K for insurance thou.

i have always wanted to take my little boat to your area.
can a boat go under the Brooklyn bridge?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back