the boat i am aiming for

i have been informed that i would be unwise to purchase that boat.
the reasons are many. but if i had 200K to thru at it each year, then maybe, but still not recommended. back to shopping.

i have been informed that i would be unwise to purchase that boat.
the reasons are many. but if i had 200K to thru at it each year, then maybe, but still not recommended. back to shopping.

LMAO... Isn't that what I said? Its still an awesome boat and I was looking forward to seeing it!

I live in a boating community AND I'm on the Board of Directors of a Marina .The one thing I learned was to not get involved in boats unless you have mucho $$$ to burn ! Instead I have lots of friends who have boats!!!!!!!!;)

Last edited:
this is what an expert said exactly.
This boat has been for sale for at least 4 years that I am aware of. Replacement costs on this boat would run approximately 4.5 million. When the price is below 20-25% of replacement costs buyer beware. You will need to buy her in cash as no bank with touch you.

Her annual cost should run you right around $125k plus crew and that is not maintaining the old girl to standards. That is only maintaining it to cruise worthy. I myself have brushed over this boat due to her costs and cruising restrictions. You will not be allowed in many ports without crew.

She would be a fine boat for cruising much of the North and South American Pacific coast including the high latitudes. Much of the East and Gulf coasts of NA would be a pain in the ars with the exception of high latitudes. If your wallet isn't fat though you would make it through the Panama canal or into an out of many countries. As far as overseas is concerned all of Europe will be off limits to you including most ports in the Med and Scandinavia. The boat is over 24 meters length. You and this boat will not meet the regulations necessary for any of the EU countries and surrounding waters. The new regulations would require this boat to be removed or scraped in that part of the world. In the Pacific tropics the boat looks like it would be hot inside and the fees would kill you.

In short, if you know what is good for you, take a pass.

diesel in philly? what one is that?
those are LIKE the one i would get. not ready to get it for at least 5 months or so.
the 2001 searay is my favorite.

oh the maxium. that was not the exact auction i was referring to, i was referring to the one down the page, the auction that was over.

diesel in philly? what one is that?
those are LIKE the one i would get. not ready to get it for at least 5 months or so.
the 2001 searay is my favorite.

I lived near and toured the plant where that 1998 Sea Ray was built.... they are fantastic vessels. Top quality all the way. And you really can't beat Cat's for a powerplant.

in your opinion, if i take a boat like that, and motored at 3-5KTs, what the MPG would be?

Figuring out fuel mileage on a car is simple. It's a different story with a boat. Miles aren't easy to measure on water, so fuel consumption is measured in gallons per hour. You measure fuel efficiency in pounds of fuel used per horsepower developed per hour. Its called "brake-specific fuel consumption."

Just figure a 150 hp marine engine uses about 15 Gal/hr +/- 20%

looking at the example set by nordhaven, i would say 3MPG is obtainable.
big diffs are
nord is a full displacement
nord has smaller engines
nord is built for mpg and range.
just wondering if i take a planning hull, and go slow how much range i can get out of the tank. its only about 300 gallons.

looking at the example set by nordhaven, i would say 3MPG is obtainable.
big diffs are
nord is a full displacement
nord has smaller engines
nord is built for mpg and range.
just wondering if i take a planning hull, and go slow how much range i can get out of the tank. its only about 300 gallons.

Like I said its measured differently than car. Forward motion is a function of many variables ( one of which is drag which is related to and including hull design),so if you can maintain forward motion of "20 mph" and at WOT your using 15 gal/hr you have about 300/15 = 20 hrs of run time which at "20mph" will get you about 400 miles. I just used 15 GPH as an example and again this is at WOT so at slower speeds and or different hull designs "3mpg"
is not out of the question.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back