The Multifire plug discussion

THEWELSHM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did 100k on our engines with the Bosch multifire plugs no issues, since my recent valve and head rebuild issue, I have done 1000 miles as of today. I have been running the E3 multifire plugs in it. I have to say this in 18 years of owning this truck the smoothest running I have experienced. Just throwing it out there anyone else try them?

thewelshm

I was wondering about the E3’s for years , I’ve used the in mowers and other things like my no gone Chevy work truck . i never on the 10 or my Dakota .. didn’t notice anything difference when I used them on those other things .. if I’m not mistaken when they were brought up on here years ago in threads it seemed it was a don’t use them . Why , no idea ! Most people agreed to stick with the factory Champion plugs .. Glad we now have someone that is using them and can critique the E3’s now ! Keep the info flowing !

I've never tried them but I do take the time to Index my conventional NGK plugs.
I have done this for years and believe there is a benefit to unshrouding the spark and promoting better flame propagation throughout the burn, which is quite similar to what E3 plugs are trying to accomplish.
I DO NOT use washers but rather swap plugs until I find ones that work. It sounds like a pita, but with a 3/8 cordless ratchet, it goes rather quick. I use a hand ratchet/torque wrench for final tightening, not the cordless ratchet.
If the electrode points up (toward the valve covers) in an arc between 10 and 2 o'clock, call it good. While not ideal, even 3 or 9 o'clock is better than pointing the electrode down (into a dead area of the combustion chamber).

Some combustion chambers will benefit from this more than others.

Last edited:
That went over my head but I'll figure out what you're talking about :D

I read indexing 101 and now I have an idea! Dang I never knew this simple and basic trick of the trade. It makes so much sense.

So it takes a couple boxes of plugs to find the ones that will line up appropriately if not using the washer method.

Learning something new every day is great!

I've never tried them but I do take the time to Index my conventional NGK plugs.
I have done this for years and believe there is a benefit to unshrouding the spark and promoting better flame propagation throughout the burn, which is quite similar to what E3 plugs are trying to accomplish.
I DO NOT use washers but rather swap plugs until I find ones that work. It sounds like a pita, but with a 3/8 cordless ratchet, it goes rather quick. I use a hand ratchet/torque wrench for final tightening, not the cordless ratchet.
If the electrode points up (toward the valve covers) in an arc between 10 and 2 o'clock, call it good. While not ideal, even 3 or 9 o'clock is better than pointing the electrode down (into a dead area of the combustion chamber).

Some combustion chambers will benefit from this more than others.
How many sets of plugs do you go thru to get them all indexed hahaha ! No washers ? Do you move plugs to different holes hoping they index in the properly ?
Question being you have the Striker heads and if polished and or modified for better quench area, burn etc. does it make a difference where the electrode are aimed to get the best results from indexing ? Compared to stock heads ?

I indexed mine the last 2 sets of plugs I installed using the factory spec Champions and it is a pain in the ask ! Especially on the hard to get to plugs .
What kind of improvement or how much can you actually expect to gain from indexing ?
The 100 questions and search for knowledge never ends hahaha !

Based on the types of plugs used like the E3’s and others are they really necessary to index based on the different types of electrode set ups on the plugs ?
IMG_0546.jpegIMG_0545.jpegIMG_0544.jpeg
IMG_0547.jpeg

How many sets of plugs do you go thru to get them all indexed hahaha ! No washers ? Do you move plugs to different holes hoping they index in the properly ?
I buy 15 plugs at a time and, I'd say by the second or third plug tried, I have a winner.
Question being you have the Striker heads and if polished and or modified for better quench area, burn etc. does it make a difference where the electrode are aimed to get the best results from indexing ? Compared to stock heads ?
The big change with the Strikers is they use a high-swirl/fast-burn chamber.

My engine has also been zero-decked so the mixture is in for quite a ride. Do I still Index?, Yes I do. And Strikers use a long-reach plug which is why the little power ratchet is a real time saver.
I indexed mine the last 2 sets of plugs I installed using the factory spec Champions and it is a pain in the ask ! Especially on the hard to get to plugs .
What kind of improvement or how much can you actually expect to gain from indexing ?
The 100 questions and search for knowledge never ends hahaha !
When I spoke with NGK, the tech had written a white-paper on indexing and he recommended same.

With the electrodes shown on the plugs in your pics, you won't be able to turn them to an optimum position. The plug in the top pic could still benefit, but be prepared to spend considerably more time on the install and don't run out of beer.

As far as engine efficiency and power go, a more complete burn will provide more of both. Keep in mind it is a BURN and not an EXPLOSION.

Let's say a Viper engine that has every plug in the worst possible position will make 8 horsepower less than one that has all the plugs indexed. Is 8 horsepower accurate? Sure, maybe, probably. (?)

Last edited:
That went over my head but I'll figure out what you're talking about :D
Threads on the plugs start in different places. Threads in the cylinder heads start in different places.
Mark a line on a spark plug socket with a felt pen, or paint, or?
Put a spark plug in the spark plug socket and point the electrode at that line.
Install the plug and tighten it.
Hopefully, the line you put on the socket is toward the top of the engine and not facing downward with the plug installed and tightened.
If it is facing downward, repeat the above procedure with a different plug until it ends up being in the right spot.
If you like, celebrate your success once all 10 are installed this way.

Last edited:
Threads on the plugs start in a different spot. Threads in the cylinder heads start in a different spot.
Mark a line on a spark plug socket with a felt pen, or paint, or?
Put a spark plug in the spark plug socket and point the electrode at that line.
Install the plug and tighten it.
Hopefully, the line you put on the socket is toward the top of the engine and not facing downward with the plug installed and tightened.
If it is facing downward, repeat the above procedure with a different plug until it ends up being in the right spot.
If you like, celebrate your success once all 10 are installed this way.
That should be at exactly beer 30 2 days after beginning the index plug instal hahaha !

Good explanation Ronnie and funny VIPR PWR! Hahahaha

Well today I drove from Tampa to Kissimmee and back and averaged 10.9 mpg, I'm stoked.lol, used to get 9mpg running 85mph avg (apparently the plugs increase MPG?) 200mile round trip seeing an old mate that is trying to beat the big C. He didn't like the 4" lowering I did, ( he's a red neck lol )I have to put the assist air bags in, now and again she hits the bump stops, not much at all but enough. other than tons of thumbs ups on the highway all good.

thewelshm

It's nice to get them out on the road. We have nice weather here so I was able to put a hundred bucks worth of 94 octane in the tank (just over 1/2) today and go for a drive.
Better mileage is always good!!
Cheers.

I get the jist Now!!
So does that mean you’re going to index your plugs yourself now ?
I know your highly capable of doing this minor task .. We have the faith ,, do it on the DIY thread and keep us informed , PLEASE !

It's nice to get them out on the road. We have nice weather here so I was able to put a hundred bucks worth of 94 octane in the tank (just over 1/2) today and go for a drive.
Better mileage is always good!!
Cheers.
I’m working on that in the near future .. I need to feel the power and take a road trip .

So does that mean you’re going to index your plugs yourself now ?
I know your highly capable of doing this minor task .. We have the faith ,, do it on the DIY thread and keep us informed , PLEASE !
Lol I'm pretty sure I could figure it out the question is do I want to hahah - but IFFFF I ever did anything so daring I most definitely post a thread!

For sure if the plugs ever get changed minimum I will do is NGK

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back