The Skeptics Thread

Azmal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Migrating from the Philosophy Thread
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27135&page=3

The Skeptics Thread
My focus here is to bring up issues that no one seems to want to discuss. Predominantly concerning issues of supernatural beings be it Zeus, Allah, Yahweh, Jesus, or Santa. Also concerning things such as luck and karma. Even extending to basis of morality and beyond. And then there's the vast array of superstitions and pseudo medical practices. Can't forget things like Astrology either.

It shouldn't become a bashing session for anyone but I hope it can be insightful if not enlightening at least in terms of views not commonly explored. I don't want to insult anyone but I don't care less if someone is offended on these matters. Why should I? We all have differing views and it's up to you whether or not you decide to get upset over what I believe or disbelieve.

If I'm though to be simply 'rocking the boat' then so be it. It's not too far off from being true but that is not the sole motivation. I feel strongly that one should never shrink away from controversy.

Why here? Well, why not. It's no more off topic than much of the stuff here anyhow.

Guess I'll start off with religion and gods or creation but I won't go in depth for now. There's much to be had in the skeptics pool.

But I'll start by adding a sort of preemptive statement for those who might say or feel that these things shouldn't be talked about, are not open for discussion, don't concern science, are matters of faith, would rather agree to disagree, and so on, all because these things are sacred or holy or what have you... But why should religion or a god be granted a special privilege? Why shouldn't religion or a god be every bit up for scrutiny as matters of politics, or which turbo or supercharger is better for a truck? In fact I think things of which you hold with the most conviction should be as far removed from mere faith as possible! But somehow over time, religion and faith has found itself with a special position in our society; entirely too free from skeptical inquiry. In fact the very idea of faith is construed in such a way as to make itself unfalsifiable, self fulfilling, and immune from the effects of logic, reason, and most importantly, evidence.

On Creation- Dawkins -"The standard creationist argument- therefore they must have had a designer.
This argument, shoots itself in the foot- any designer capable of designing something really complex has to be even more complex Himself. And that's before we even start on the other things He's expected to do, like forgive sins, bless marriages, listen to prayers, favor our side in a war, disapprove of our sex lives, and so on."

A few more things and food for thought.

Luck - This is one of those things we all or at least most of us talk about or refer to frequently including myself. When I say it, or perhaps most of us, I'm referring to a fortunate outcome of the probability cycle. But not everyone actually

Astrology and Horoscopes - It's utterly surprising how many adhere to this as though it were true without a second though. I attribute that mainly to people not really knowing what it is. I realized this was gonna take up a lot of typing time and it requires a good bit of background history of how ancient people interpreted their world and sky as well as an explanation of how the earth has a wobble of axis that makes the horoscopes given today even months off lol so I just thought it'd be better to link something if you think my skepticism is misplaced. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS286US286&q=astrology+skeptic&btnG=Search

Karma - This may surprise you but I feel 'karma' is true. At least in more of a de facto sense. Individual karma that many of us tend to imagine is unlikely to exist. I think the Karma the Buddhists believe in is a global karma (I haven't looked into this so I may be mistaken) and I think if you were to ask a Buddaist they perhaps they would imagine a sort of spiritual energy encompassing the world and when one does a deed good or bad it affects the global energy level for good or bad and the spiritual energy sort of influences us.

Frankly I see it as social dynamics. Do a good deed; somebody benefits; perhaps they return the favor to someone else and it's a sort of chain reaction. So I guess I see karma as kind of like stating the obvious with a mystical twist. So I wouldn't say I 'believe in' karma. Hope this makes sense

So, hope we can enjoy a good discussion. If you've got a differing opinion just toss it out. You don't learn anything new from an agreement after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ram From Hell said:
Not to stray off topic, but that's exactly what's happened to the Bible through the years, and through the various regimes (to make it acceptable to the sitting king). Wonder if anyone really noticed or cared how the changes manipulated the message over the years.

Way off topic but what if it bible and all other religion is all bullshit.....................................?

I mean there are so many schools of though and faith, why is any one right or any one wrong. How bouts we start believing in what we see and feel, we hope that there is a here after. But if there isn't we make the best life for our children as possilbe.

I believed in a God but now it's fading.....................I see so many other faiths and people that believe in them around the world, and it is impossible to believe that any one of them are right or that any one of them are wrong.

And now that I look at it all Christians, Hindus, Muslims and the like they are NO different than Tom Cruise and his witch craft of Scientology................................ I mean really, y'all more people have been killed in the name of A god than anything else in history...............IT'S GOT TO BE BULLSHIT! :)

I'm a bit to drunk to read the whole thing but I agree...........

Everyone feels there right, what if their all wrong?

Darwin was right we do evolve...........I mean look Django doesn't call everyone on their spelling and punctuation any more :)

But what if there is a God then who is right........................and if your not right then what happens to you??????????????? hell?????????

HELL NO, BECAUSE THERE IS NO HELL THERE IS NO HEAVEN..............THERE IS HERE AND NOW, WHEN YOU DIE YOU DIE AND THAT IS FINAL.......... :)

As I stated these religions are all the same Christianity is the same as Scientlogy to me now, but I love the vaules that Christianity puts forth and believe in those values..................

Praise be Tome Cruise and his witch craft~~~~ :) :) :(

I'm at best an agnostic, and believe in reality.

umm... and that we all need an ambition. God is an ambition, and if he's an ambition than death looks like a goal.

(and in this I am totally consistent with my conservative arguments on other threads :p)

and to answer the thread... No karma, no luck, no astrology, eh... luck is perspective.

Does this make me a skeptic?

Last edited:
I believe that religion is entirely man's own creation, spawned from the following:

A need to explain the unknown.
A fear of death, or desire for immortality.
A means of strength for the weak.
A means of power and/or wealth through control of people.
A means of motivation, for good, war, or whatever.
A kind of philosophy, or way of life.

Just about any aspect of any religion falls into one (or a combination) of these things. It is simply a reflection of human nature.

That said, as an agnostic, I feel that to discount the possibility of the presence of a superior entity would be shortsighted. We have been around this universe but for a few short seconds, relatively speaking. To presume that we know it all is preposterous. Further, to presume that we can know such an entity is folly. Such an entity would be well beyond our measly capabilities of understanding.

There are far too many holes in all of the things that religion presents as fact to take them seriously. Then there is the fact that there are hundreds of variations of religions, many of which believe that all others are cults and their believers are hell-bound, all vying to convince you that their way is the only salvation for your immortal soul. I hate to be blunt, but I have a hard time taking people seriously when they profess to be religious for just these reasons.

I have nothing against such people mind you, as to each their own. I won't start dropping bombs on their street if they don't drop bombs on mine. In other words, I can respect one's beliefs so long as they don't disrespect me for lacking those same beliefs.

Wow Eric, that's exactly what I would have said. That is if I was able to put it into words as well as you did.

I just read it again and can't get over how much I agree with everything in the post, there is not one thing that I can find that I don't agree with completely.

Ram From Hell said:
I believe that religion is entirely man's own creation, spawned from the following:

Just about any aspect of any religion falls into one (or a combination) of these things. It is simply a reflection of human nature.

That said, as an agnostic, I feel that to discount the possibility of the presence of a superior entity would be shortsighted. We have been around this universe but for a few short seconds, relatively speaking. To presume that we know it all is preposterous. Further, to presume that we can know such an entity is folly. Such an entity would be well beyond our measly capabilities of understanding.

There are far too many holes in all of the things that religion presents as fact to take them seriously. Then there is the fact that there are hundreds of variations of religions, many of which believe that all others are cults and their believers are hell-bound, all vying to convince you that their way is the only salvation for your immortal soul. I hate to be blunt, but I have a hard time taking people seriously when they profess to be religious for just these reasons.

I have nothing against such people mind you, as to each their own. I won't start dropping bombs on their street if they don't drop bombs on mine. In other words, I can respect one's beliefs so long as they don't disrespect me for lacking those same beliefs.

interesting...I don't believe in religion either...for religion is man-made.

OCBob said:
Wow Eric, that's exactly what I would have said. That is if I was able to put it into words as well as you did.

I just read it again and can't get over how much I agree with everything in the post, there is not one thing that I can find that I don't agree with completely.

Me three.:rock: :rock: :rock:

I agree, religion is the work of Man, and ya know how Man screws things up

Venom Power said:
Well, I'm very skeptical that this thread.... is for skeptics..

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder??:confused: :confused: :D :p

Thanks for the Pic of Your Stretch Lips Micky:D :D

Last edited:
Exactly what I would have said too on the first part. I stress the human desires to create gods and I would have posted on that subject at great length but yours summarizes it remarkably.

I have one problem though, and you may not realize it yourself, but you still leave room for apologetics because we can't prove it one way or another and it is preposterous to assume to know anything. That I feel is the special spot we are accustomed to giving religion and beliefs of gods I mentioned before. Its kind of like we feel the need to speak our minds on the topic but leave a window open for those who don't share our view. A sort of tip of the hat to these sacred ideas so we won't offend. Some of us have different political views that offend parties of one side or another but we don't feel the need -not- to offend them. I'm not advocating that deliberate offensive action is the way to go, not at all, but at least in my case I don't feel we should bend over backwards to cater to any special interest group. Religion is on a level playing field in my book. Though in the past I have been exactly the same to say, 'well, I'm agnostic and dont really believe, but there definitely COULD be something' but as I've come to realize there could also be an easter bunny and I wouldn't mind offending telling someone (an adult) that there is obviously no such thing.

To explain, when you say it's impossible to disprove a god, that is of course true. But the problem is, it is also impossible to disprove the existence of a tooth fairy or one of the other gods in which everyone is now atheist in respect to such as Zeus. However we see no evidence these entities exist and it wouldn't make sense to base our lives on the assumption they do.

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing at all." Brilliant line by Socrates and are scholarly words to live by. It's also important to understand the difference between healthy intellectual humility and allowing anything to fly simply because we don't know 100%.

And of course there very well could be a creator who started the beginning of the universe. But if that's the view you take, the creator who might have made the universe and let it be (deist view) would be far different than a personal god you can imagine that left the universe alone for 13.7 billion years until a tiny bit of matter called humans came to be and now cares about our sex lives and can heal everyone but amputees. Point being it's preposterous to assume to know as you say, but we don't have to live our lives believing there is a moderate chance of a god's existence because we cant rule out that 1 to the negative 100th fraction of a percent. Of course this doesn't apply if you do in fact believe and that's another matter entirely.

But if that's the view you take, it is more of a scientific question of where did our universe come from. I think because religion has been predominant so long, God is simply a natural assumption but its the ultimate cop out. It's saying "Well, we don't know, so God must have did it!" Then you have the problems of infinite regression - 'then what made god?' and it simply doesn't explain anything. Even Newton, hailed as the most brilliant scientist of all time, after he made his amazing theories of the dynamics of our solar system and invented new math he got to a pebble in the road he couldn't understand so he said it must be god. And of course we now have figured the pebble out and have moved on.

I'm not intolerant by the way if it sounds so. I know text can be read any way one chooses and if there is someone of a differing view perhaps the imagine me frothing at the mouth and pounding my desk with angry eyebrows to punctuate each sentence. I do hope what I say can have some impact on someone who perhaps hadn't really thought about it much before.

Ram From Hell said:

Last edited:
Azmal said:
I have one problem though, and you may not realize it yourself, but you still leave room for apologetics because we can't prove it one way or another and it is preposterous to assume to know anything. That I feel is the special spot we are accustomed to giving religion and beliefs of gods I mentioned before. Its kind of like we feel the need to speak our minds on the topic but leave a window open for those who don't share our view. A sort of tip of the hat to these sacred ideas so we won't offend. Some of us have different political views that offend parties of one side or another but we don't feel the need -not- to offend them. I'm not advocating that deliberate offensive action is the way to go, not at all, but at least in my case I don't feel we should bend over backwards to cater to any special interest group. Religion is on a level playing field in my book. Though in the past I have been exactly the same to say, 'well, I'm agnostic and dont really believe, but there definitely COULD be something' but as I've come to realize there could also be an easter bunny and I wouldn't mind offending telling someone (an adult) that there is obviously no such thing.

Eh, apologetics aside, to discount something entirely is in itself a form of ignorance, out of an act of closed mindedness if nothing else. It is probably out of socially correct habits that I choose to be accepting, in part, of those of religious faith.

One thing I do know for sure, and that is that arguing about religion is no different than debating whether Spiderman or Wolverine would win in a fight. It is all completely hypothetical. Further, those of faith are all programmed to some degree to be intolerant and beyond acceptance of another person's beliefs (Everyone should belong to your church, right? Who in their right mind would want to go to hell for going to the wrong church?!?). You might as well be arguing with a rock.

To me, the real debate is about why man chooses to have religion in a modern world, rather than about religion itself. We can see in a historical sense how and why religion began, and how it has been used as a tool and a crutch. Why is it that in this day and age that a person of average intelligence and education would cling to this? Would a child born today who was raised without awareness of the concept of religion be compelled somehow to engage in it? I rather think not. I believe that today it falls under the same kind of influences that make a MoPar or Chevy guy, or a Bears fan, or whatever.

Picture, if you will, as Lennon sang, "Imagine no religion". What then? What exactly would happen if there came a universal epiphany that proved beyond any possible doubt that religion was all completely false. That man was born, lived, and died. Imagine every Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Taoist, and Jew waking up one day knowing only that what was before him was real. That their life was their own in its entirety. How many willing suicide bombers would be left, knowing full well that only nothingness awaited them at the end of their task? Would Palestinians and Israelis suddenly accept each others right to exist? Would the Pope suddenly become just a well-known old guy with nice duds and some great stories? Would people be able to find comfort and solace within themselves and their friends, lacking a deity of some sort to believe in?

Naturally, much the same could be said if we were to imagine everyone with the same color of skin (thank you, George Orr, see "Lathe of Heaven"), or if there were no currency, or if all the world were just one big country instead of a whole bunch of 'em. Something within drives each of us to some degree to differentiate ourselves, and at the same time belong with others. Country, politics, religion all cater to those things in spades.

But, whatever.

We will never know of such a world ourselves, and perhaps as a species we never will. Perhaps it may come only as mankind evolves to some state of existence that transcends the need for such concepts, and from the perspective of that state of being understands at once what it was that man imagined to be a god, and the folly of man for having imagined it in the first place.

Since this thread was left open to debate and friendly dis-agreement........

I believe the Bible and I take it quite literally.I am not a perfect Christian,but I do believe in forgiveness if we only ask for it.

As far as the Bible being accurate,literal, and relevant for today ,I simply trust it when it says "I will preserve My Word blameless" .Now some Christians do not even believe the Bible.It plainly says in the book of John that in the beginning was the Word and the Word was God.I simply can't separate God from his Word.The most basic way to know God is through His Word.

If I were to look at the so-called modern Bible translations and so-called Christian churches and so-called Christian doctrine,I would certainly be skeptical ,too.The answer is to read what it says for yourself.You have no right to believe based on what I say about it or based on what anyone else says about it.

Science and faith are not mutually exclusive of each other.The Bible says that God balanced the earth with one grain of sand and one drop of water ,so God must be a mathmetician.I have been told that you can prove/ dis-prove nearly anything by mathmatics.It is a fascinating subject to me.

For me,I am very skeptical of the theory of evolution.To me,it seems very far-fetched.I have a much easier time believing that if there is a creation,there MUST be a Creator.I am not slamming ANYONE that subscribes to the evolutionist view,just saying I am skeptical of it. I guess it would depend on your upbringing and education.

Just a few of my thoughts to further the discussion.

I have a hunch that the Bible was a masterful work of fiction or at the very least, a great deal of exaggeration exists in it. It is probably a book of fables or fairy tales. It has certainly been used to keep the sheep in line and make them civilized. It's a great crutch for those who feel no sense of self or self worth. I think people grasp for meaning in life and religion provides meaning, even if it is false belief. I actually think suicide bombers would still exist if it were not for religion. They want to believe they are doing something of greatness and they would likely have found some outlet for that. Religion happened to be the convenient excuse. I think religion has done more good than harm. There are many people who would commit evil acts except for their belief that someone is watching them and they will pay the penance.

Here's the scary part. For those of us who do not believe in a god per se, we risk burning in hell if we are wrong. It is much safer to believe than to risk the thought of eternal hell. Still, I can't buy into it.

Last edited:
When I see it than I will BELIEVE. I have been attended Catholic School an the way it was set up is rough and yes there are many teachings out there and the hard part is knowing who to believe. Some answers would help everyone. But what if we did get an answer one and it proved that there was no GOD. What would MAN do then?

While I myself do not share them ,I can understand your arguments/opinions.

I actually enjoy reading the different opinions.It gives me something to think about.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back