Thermostat question in HOTTT Weather

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done some searching about 170 t-stat mainly from this thread...
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452&highlight=stat+thermostat

I recently installed the Stage II and my truck still runs the same as before...cooling wise....I rarely hear the fan kick on and it stays at a constant 200. I am in S. Fla where it's hotter than 2 balls in a nutsackj:D and just wanted to know if it's a necessity to change the t-stat out right away here, if it will make a difference or doesn't really matter? What is the concensus:dontknow:

Thank you sir's. Looks like I gotta a weekend project or at sundown. I need an a/c garage.

You will also need a flash of the pcm...to turn the fans on sooner.

But just for your information...the engine is designed to run at constant temperatures well into the 200's. Even 220 or 230 is not a problem.

We get nervous at those temps (me too) but the engineers say...no sweat...just be advised that performance is normally degraded (on purpose in the pcm) when the AIT senses higher temperatures...timing will be pulled to avoid detonation which is a good thing!

My CTS V pushes more boost than my SRT 10 and it constantly runs at 220 with an intercooler!

kickinassrt-10 said:
Thank you sir's. Looks like I gotta a weekend project or at sundown. I need an a/c garage.
Listen, I don't want any excuses when you run at the track. :D Get the T-stat in. You still going Friday?:)

Ok...if the stock thermo is say 190 and your truck stays at same but on occasion 200 range going to a 170 will make no difference. If the engine was working hard enough to go above the temp of the installed thermo there will be no difference going to a 170 or even a 70F.

You must change something to increase the ability of the cooling system to shed heat. That can be done a number of ways (increased flow, capacity, air flow etc) but the easiest in our trucks is to have the fans turn on either sooner or run faster at lower temps. Going to a lower thermo does not increase this ability...period.

I'm not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn quite a few times and can tell you Aluminum engines run hotter, make better power when at proper temp and should not be allowed to run at power at 170F.

My local temps are significantly hotter than anything you'll experience in FL and even in 110F plus temps, goofing around on a track my water temps have gone high enough that the ECU was pulling timing (very obvious) but never went so far that caused too much concern. Now, my oil temp on the other hand went high enough to cause me to go....ruh roh and back off on the throttle to help get temps down. We'll leave that for another thread! ;)

My opinion...leave the stock thermo in to maintain proper heat. Add additional cooling ability if you are too concerned. Again, easiest is fan reprogrammed. Cooler is NOT better with aluminum engines. Maintaining a consistent temp on the other hand is better/ideal. YMMV

Last edited:
SANTEEN said:
Listen, I don't want any excuses when you run at the track. :D Get the T-stat in. You still going Friday?:)
just kool it off between runs manually

Attachments

• 11-21-2008 12;19;22PM.jpg
    11-21-2008 12;19;22PM.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 11-21-2008 12;20;41PM.jpg
    11-21-2008 12;20;41PM.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 11-21-2008 12;22;10PM.jpg
    11-21-2008 12;22;10PM.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 49
You guys aren't paying attention, He already has the stage 2 flash. It is probably calling for the 170 thermostat. It will run better cooler...

I have stage 2 flash and 170 t-stat, but the only time i see it at 170-180, is when outside temps are 60 degrees or below.

I have the 172 stat and tune for fans...my motor runs a constant 179 (digital readout from dash hawk) in stop & go traffic in 90 degree + weather.................as far as the alum engine should be hotter thing I have read that everywhere but never any hard facts....I know many motors with cooler stats and 100K+ miles that are still running fine.........I do know that the SRT8 I owned would lose 20HP when temp went from 180 to 215...

I would agree with some of this, but the advantage that a lower temp thermostat gives you is that the radiator starts cooling sooner as coolant temp is ramping up.

That said, under heavy load, steady state conditions with coolant temps above 200 where a thermostat would be wide open (no matter 170 or 185), a 170 will not gain you anything.

Regarding heat for aluminum vs steel, seems to me that would depend on the tune in play. :dontknow:

Chuck B said:
Ok...if the stock thermo is say 190 and your truck stays at same but on occasion 200 range going to a 170 will make no difference. If the engine was working hard enough to go above the temp of the installed thermo there will be no difference going to a 170 or even a 70F.

You must change something to increase the ability of the cooling system to shed heat. That can be done a number of ways (increased flow, capacity, air flow etc) but the easiest in our trucks is to have the fans turn on either sooner or run faster at lower temps. Going to a lower thermo does not increase this ability...period.

I'm not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn quite a few times and can tell you Aluminum engines run hotter, make better power when at proper temp and should not be allowed to run at power at 170F.

My local temps are significantly hotter than anything you'll experience in FL and even in 110F plus temps, goofing around on a track my water temps have gone high enough that the ECU was pulling timing (very obvious) but never went so far that caused too much concern. Now, my oil temp on the other hand went high enough to cause me to go....ruh roh and back off on the throttle to help get temps down. We'll leave that for another thread! ;)

My opinion...leave the stock thermo in to maintain proper heat. Add additional cooling ability if you are too concerned. Again, easiest is fan reprogrammed. Cooler is NOT better with aluminum engines. Maintaining a consistent temp on the other hand is better/ideal. YMMV

so a 180 with fan on @ 200 would be the best compromise?????

I believe our hydraulic fans have a ramp up duty cycle, so they're not just on-off. I would start an electric fan before 200, but depends on what you're looking to do I guess. I'll sacrifice a little power to keep things cool (turn on fans early) with the heat we have in AZ! :)

ZCx said:
so a 180 with fan on @ 200 would be the best compromise?????

I do have have the Stage 2 already.....it's not only hot here but it is super humid outside....I guess I should just install it for the hell of it and see what it does...better yet I am going to call B&G and see if it is programmed for the fan to come on sooner....

Good strategy...I think that they will say yes...see if they will give you all of the details about when it comes on; what sensor it is reading when it does; and if they have been doing this pcm mod all along or was there a date at which they started doing it.

I think I recall they were doing it from the start...

Prof said:
Good strategy...I think that they will say yes...see if they will give you all of the details about when it comes on; what sensor it is reading when it does; and if they have been doing this pcm mod all along or was there a date at which they started doing it.

I think I recall they were doing it from the start...
I hope so because this tune was from the start!:D

Just spoke to B&G and it is tuned to come on sooner.....said the thermostat WILL NOT change anything with the fan because the fan is designed to come on at 226 in out trucks and it's not controlled by the t-stat.....the t-stat will open to allow the coolant to cool better.......He did say, however, at Highway speeds or while air is flowing through the radiator you will notice the truck running a lot cooler, stop and go will probably be no different than it is factory right now it will rise to 200.....
so to all you guys not seeing the needle move it seems pretty normal and you are most likely doing city stop n go driving!
I may have miss understood but this seems to be what I grabbed from the convo, so correct me if this sounds wrong......I like knowledge!

kickinassrt-10 said:
Just spoke to B&G and it is tuned to come on sooner.....said the thermostat WILL NOT change anything with the fan because the fan is designed to come on at 226 in out trucks and it's not controlled by the t-stat.....the t-stat will open to allow the coolant to cool better.......He did say, however, at Highway speeds or while air is flowing through the radiator you will notice the truck running a lot cooler, stop and go will probably be no different than it is factory right now it will rise to 200.....
so to all you guys not seeing the needle move it seems pretty normal and you are most likely doing city stop n go driving!
I may have miss understood but this seems to be what I grabbed from the convo, so correct me if this sounds wrong......I like knowledge!

corroborates what I said....engine that produces enough heat to exceed current thermo temp will not run cooler with a 170F. You must increase air flow, capacity etc. Stock setup the fans are variable with water temp. They are not on/off.

My tune has the fan set to come on 180 and it stays right around 180. I had it idling for 20 minutes while I was running some sea foam through the engine and it stayed solid right around 180-185.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back