thinking about buying a drag car...help

mauiSRT/10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my dilema. I want to race at the drags again. I dont want to race my ten for several reasons. Its way too pricey when things break, and I want to race an auto tranny for better consistancy.

I am wanting a v8 prolly a ford or gm since go fast parts are cheap and plentyful (compared to dodge). I want to race in the street class so maximum time is 13.00. I am thinking mustang, camero, firebird etc from the 90's and it has to have an auto tranny.

Got any tips or ideas as to what to look for and look out for when shopping around for a car? I have not defined my budget yet but doing a quick craigslist check it looks like cars can be had for around $5k give or take.

I am not a big wrencher but do have a good friend whom is encouraging me to take on this project and he is a good wrencher. I plan to buy locally as to avoid the $1k shipping costs from the mainland.

Thanks for your input.

patrick

LS1 (or LT1) F-Body FTMFW!!! :D Being as you're at sea level, a late model Gm shouldn't require much modding . . .

the best thing I ever did was buy a car for the track,,,might not be the fastest but has alot more potential than the truck,,,its alot safer with the cage,,and a whole lotb cheaper to make go faster. I got a brand new trailer a 78 camaro with a small block 400. Also have did alot to the car since I have had it and I got 6000 invested.

I hear ya Stick.

I found this ad today. Price is a little high but the car is in the area of my scope. Gonna go look at it Sunday.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/cto/1348812512.html

He has replaced a lot of the shit the would need to be replaced already...which is good and prolly why has asking too much.

It looks like the 96 mustang gt ran 15.0 stock. Prolly will take a blower to get into the 13's when at stock you only have 215 HP.

patrick

man that is high,,,,the car dont even have a cage....think safety . If you wreck at the track with no cage,,,you might be out of work for a few days. with cage you go to work and just replace what broke. They should have a race forum over there that has real race cars for sale

Hatedonmostly said:
Stock fox body mustang guys did gear swap and other things running 12's
He will only be able to run 13 max for his class. Shit fox bodies are the best outlaw runners and I hate ford but shit some fox bodies out here are trapping 176mph:dontknow: :argh: but they weigh what 2400lbs?

Been doing some research,...... seems doing a gear swap is a must for that mustang. 4.10 seems to be popular.

I live on an island so finding "the right car" is kinda difficult.

patrick

I drove the 96 gt mustang today.....

pros: engine was strong, no oil leaks, strong tranny, shifts nice and hard into second (even got it to chirp into second once).

cons: red paint fading bad, bumpers banged to shit, door panels falling apart, flowmaster exhaust has golfball sized holes in it. has an aftermarket alarm with a broken secret button you have to push in while turning the key(I could not get it to work)......... and the big one.....odometer non functional.

Owner claims it broke six months ago and only has 109k, odometer reads 107k.

Guy is asking $5k which is about $1k over kbb. With the bad odometer that car is really only worth about $2k max IMO.

My search continues....

patrick

check la craigslist. surely you will find a better car and save some money even if you have to import it for 1k. We have a bunch of members around here that can look at one for you. hell myself included. I will go over the car very good for you

FerrariTruck said:
check la craigslist. surely you will find a better car and save some money even if you have to import it for 1k. We have a bunch of members around here that can look at one for you. hell myself included. I will go over the car very good for you

Take Alfy up on it.

Ton of early 90's mustangs in LA. Id look for the ol mustang GT/notchback that had the trunk.

SHU

Ebay has a nice mustang right up your alley.

Bunch of race parts but no engine or tranny.

Also has a bunch of replaced parts.

Might be a bit more when all is said and done but done it would b.

Ebay Item # 300343284659

SHU

Look into an older dodge turbo AWD Talon mid 11 sec stock( at LACR )and cheap cause the don't say Mitsobitchy on it:D , although they are the same car.:rock:

You guys are so cool. Thats a great looking mustang ferraritruck.....only thing is I am wanting a auto tranny.

I will widen my scope and let you know. Thank you for offering.

Notch back mustangs can be made to go real fast. They are so light. I am only looking for a 13 second or slower car.

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back