thinking about buying a drag car...help

I had a stock 01 SS Camaro that would run 13 flat on street tires. Was a stick but I'd bet an auto with 4.10 gears and some suspension work would run that all day.

Early 90's Fox bodies are fast as hell. That's what my brother's drag car is. ~700 rwhp and runs 9's with full drag suspension and slicks. Stock 5.0 fox body, regear, drag radials and see what that gets you. If you have to, add a very small shot to spray on the big end.

you keep saying 13 or slower,,,,but you do know once you get on the track you will just want to go faster,, Get a car that incase you decide you want to go faster it will have the saftey features already there. racingjunk.com has alot of great cars that are not expensive

Our street class is 13.0 or slower. The next bracket is 12.90 and they use the pro-tree lights.....not the easy one.

I hear ya Stick. 12's wouldnt upset me! LOL Right now street class is fine for me.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Here is my dilema. I want to race at the drags again. I dont want to race my ten for several reasons. Its way too pricey when things break, and I want to race an auto tranny for better consistancy.

I am wanting a v8 prolly a ford or gm since go fast parts are cheap and plentyful (compared to dodge). I want to race in the street class so maximum time is 13.00. I am thinking mustang, camero, firebird etc from the 90's and it has to have an auto tranny.

Got any tips or ideas as to what to look for and look out for when shopping around for a car? I have not defined my budget yet but doing a quick craigslist check it looks like cars can be had for around $5k give or take.

I am not a big wrencher but do have a good friend whom is encouraging me to take on this project and he is a good wrencher. I plan to buy locally as to avoid the $1k shipping costs from the mainland.

Thanks for your input.

patrick

Is there an Enterprise rental or a similar rental agency by you!!!:D
Rent a mustang or Camaro for a day and see if you like it!!:burnout:

1qksrt said:

.... and make sure you get the insurance:D

1qksrt said:

Its so funny.....now and then you'll see visitor in a sebring vert or mustang vert running down the track......of course they are completly silent too!!
:marchmellow:

They do rent the mustang gt350H here.....sounds ok, but really isnt worth the cost to rent.

I will find my car....just gotta be patient.

patrick

Buy a 97- 04 grand prix gtp supercharged you can get one for 5k or less. go to zzperformance.com and do a pulley swap and intake, then put an exhaust of your choice on and you should pull a 13.7 or better. cheap car cheap to work on and fast.......cant go wrong

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back