Tipping

amtrucker22

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read in a previous thread by Trekker that he tipped his service manager and viper tech.

This is the first time I have a car that is under warranty and that I would even go to the dealership. Is this a standard practice for good service at a dealership?:dontknow: I know that it is important to develop a good relationship with these people especially a good viper tech.

Sorry for the noob question I am still learning!

Paul

I was asking myself the same question!

Never heard of that before......:dontknow:

Having worked at a dealer before, I would say "no". However, I have been tipped before, but it was a very rare occurance. The tech probably got paid his hourly rate for the amount of time invested in the project and service manager probably makes a salary plus a commision on net profit.

So tipping them was a very nice gesture, but everyone got paid regardless. It's not like they live off of tips. :) It also sounded like they deserved it too, they took good care of Scott.

best tip you can give them is "dont eat yellow snow"

really your the customer and we (i work as a parts director at a dodge dealer) need to take care of you so really just a hand shake and a kind word that we did a good job is all we need.

I would give five bucks to buy a coke & burger for a job well done. When I was working as a mechanic there were times I got tipped a couple of bucks (never in double digits) just because I stayed late to fix their car or because I was very social and interactive with the customer.

dragon said:
best tip you can give them is "dont eat yellow snow"

really your the customer and we (i work as a parts director at a dodge dealer) need to take care of you so really just a hand shake and a kind word that we did a good job is all we need.

Man do we need you at Hunter Dodge in Lancaster, their parts guys couldn't slap his ass with both or even one hand unless someone told him how. He's a total idiot. They have two guys, if the good one is real busy or not there, I'll leave and come back another time.

amtrucker22 said:
I read in a previous thread by Trekker that he tipped his service manager and viper tech.

This is the first time I have a car that is under warranty and that I would even go to the dealership. Is this a standard practice for good service at a dealership?:dontknow: I know that it is important to develop a good relationship with these people especially a good viper tech.

Paul
THis is NEVER a requirement, but, in your opinion, if someone is going out of their way for you (again your judgement call) it's a nice way to say thanks.

I've been tipped numerous times before. the most was 300.00 it isnt very regular but i do get 20's from time to time.

I have sometimes tipped for service before.

Usually for tire/wheel service I will give them 10 to 20 bucks up front to not use an impact gun on the lug nuts. This then carries over to the wheels in that they are real careful to not damage them.

Money well spent in my opinion.

amtrucker22 said:

Paul
The only tip I would give them is to tell them not to walk in the rain without an umbrella, but then that is just me and probably isn't the best way to make friends .............. :dontknow: :D ;)

You could try a blow job, they seem to like those alot!!!!! :elefant: :elefant: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D :D :D

Wifey said:
You could try a blow job, they seem to like those alot!!!!! :elefant: :elefant: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D :D :D

That's only an option for you, Mikey, and Krazy....at least on this site....

The rest of us gotta buy them wimmens, and those five-dolla-ho's ain't what they used to be :D

I have not tipped, but I like to thank them personally and shake hands when possible...

I have never tipped at a dealership, but I have bought donuts for the guys at the muffler shop. Pretty good deal cause they waived the $20 front end inspection fee, and rotated my tires for free. And that was just for a replacement muffler on my old beater.
When I have subtrades working on my house we always supply a variety of cold drinks and food.

A good gesture of appreciation goes a long way.

If you don't want to tip but want to do something, take the mechanic out for lunch or dinner.

I don,t know about tipping the writer,But the tech will appreciate it.
He will remember you,Just make sure you personally duke the tech.
All too often the writer will pocket the entire amount!!!!!!!!!
I,ve seen it too many times.I decline customers tips,but some just plain insist
on giving!!!

I have not actually a mechanic out for lunch or dinner, but I have brought them lunch, soda pops, and sometimes the occasional gift carts to a restaurant down the street so they could go over their lunch hour, etc..

I have not done that yet for any of Patricks (Dragons) guys... and I should they have been so good to me.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back