Tour de France.....anyone keeping up with it?

K-80-123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can tell I am a fan of cycling.....I raced for 12 years then retired and got fat...:(:(.....I love to watch the Tour.....no Lance this year but there are some really good riders....be sure to watch the 16th stage it is going to be brutal...118 miles that day with 4 passes to climb.....here is a profile of that days race.....those guys are unbelievable....:)

Walt

POSITION.gif

Last edited:
I watched the tour every year until OLN took over programing :mad: Lance A is the real Superman :rock:

Watched it Tuesday morning, I think Robbie won that stage....both Thor and George look strong this year....really wierd watching without the duel between Lance and Ulrich......also, with Basso and some of the others out, hate to see this happen in cycling.....not a big roady, but always enjoy watching the tour....

Big Perm said:
Watched it Tuesday morning, I think Robbie won that stage....both Thor and George look strong this year....really wierd watching without the duel between Lance and Ulrich......also, with Basso and some of the others out, hate to see this happen in cycling.....not a big roady, but always enjoy watching the tour....

All that stuff in Spain.....took out Ulrich and Basso.....those two would have been in the top 5.....looks good for George....I hope....still a long ways to go.

Walt

My wife's a big tour junkie....Which means I follow it by osmosis....

By the way, what's so bad about the coverage by OLN.....?

Go Hincapie.........

SD

Silent D said:
My wife's a big tour junkie....Which means I follow it by osmosis....

By the way, what's so bad about the coverage by OLN.....?

Go Hincapie.........

SD

OLN has the BEST coverage....I use to race against Bob Roll...one of the announcers for OLN...:)

K-80-123 said:
OLN has the BEST coverage....I use to race against Bob Roll...one of the announcers for OLN...:)

I think their coverage is excellent. Maybe cummin4u (Rod) is saying he just doesn't get OLN. :dontknow:

TC Walt......

SD

K-80-123 said:

I am an old time bike racer also!! Not quite at the level you performed at though.

You may know a good friend of mine who use to Race back in those days, Mathew Rini??

Tour will be very interesting, several good contenders. I am rooting for George H but don't know how his team will do in the mountains. Hopefully they can hang and keep him in the mix!! George showed last year that he has great climbimg abilities!!

Marc T said:
I am an old time bike racer also!! Not quite at the level you performed at though.

You may know a good friend of mine who use to Race back in those days, Mathew Rini??

Tour will be very interesting, several good contenders. I am rooting for George H but don't know how his team will do in the mountains. Hopefully they can hang and keep him in the mix!! George showed last year that he has great climbimg abilities!!
I still ride but not too much....on the river with my mountain bike only 60 miles a week...:( back in the day that was a good warm up.....I am pulling for George H too....some big hitters are out this year and their is no Team Time Trial so that will help.....George won the toughest stage last year Stage #15....it was brutal.....I think he has a good chance....:)

Walt

K-80-123 said:
I still ride but not too much....on the river with my mountain bike only 60 miles a week...:( back in the day that was a good warm up.....I am pulling for George H too....some big hitters are out this year and their is no Team Time Trial so that will help.....George won the toughest stage last year Stage #15....it was brutal.....I think he has a good chance....:)

Walt

Your still doing better than me, my steed is on the trainer and I do about 30 minutes 5 times a week!! Got to get it outside again!!:dontknow:

Silent D said:
I think their coverage is excellent. Maybe cummin4u (Rod) is saying he just doesn't get OLN. :dontknow:

TC Walt......

SD

Sorry, yes I love the OLN channel:) I went with CableOne and they don't offer it:mad: wish I still had Dish:idea:

cummin4u said:
Sorry, yes I love the OLN channel:) I went with CableOne and they don't offer it:mad: wish I still had Dish:idea:

Gotcha, Rod......

How ya doin bro?

SD

cummin4u said:

Exactly, I don't have it either....have to go over to see the wimmens to check out the tour, though that is not always a bad thing :D

Who are the big contenders to watch in the mountains this year? Seems George should do well since he pulled for Lance all those years....Bobby Julich :dontknow:

Marc, I've only got a mountain bike, but I'm always up for an urban assault if there is some good riding around here....I always used to get bored doing road work on the open road :burnout:

Big Perm said:
Exactly, I don't have it either....have to go over to see the wimmens to check out the tour, though that is not always a bad thing :D

Who are the big contenders to watch in the mountains this year? Seems George should do well since he pulled for Lance all those years....Bobby Julich :dontknow:

Marc, I've only got a mountain bike, but I'm always up for an urban assault if there is some good riding around here....I always used to get bored doing road work on the open road :burnout:

Try this address it will give you all the info you need on the tour.

http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/LIVE/us/500/index.html

I used to be a bike bum. Worked at a bike shop about 15 hours a week, and road my bike full time. 400 miles a week was typical. It took me about 7 years to complete my undergraduate studies. Bike racing was just too important to me.

I road raced/MTB raced for many, many years.......USCF license L43241, CAT 1 road, CAT 2 on the track, expert on MTB. I was Texas State Road champion in 86. Competed all over the USA.

I was fortunate enough to have personally trained with Lance Armstrong in and around Dallas. We had standing weekly races on tuesday, I did LSD (Long Steady Distance) on Wednesday, and, intervals with him on Thursdays. Mondays and Fridays were easy days. Saturday and Sunday I raced.

I raced with him many, many times during his early years. I remember one particular criterium race in Waco, when Lance, myself, and a guy from the San Antonio Bicycle Club were on a break away. We traded pulls to the point that we nearly lapped the pack. When the race was within the last 5 laps, Lance, kept trying to drop us, but could not. He could not sprint, and I know he didnot want to try and sprint me or the guy from SABRC. He would stand on the pedals, and, not sprint, but, wind up the speed to nearly 40 fucking MPH! He kept doing this, over, and, over. I would be completely maxed, transfixed to the back of his bike heart rate had to be touching 200. Anyway, on the last lap of the last corner, I attacked him. I could sprint. I thought this was my best opportunity. The last corner was only about 300 meters to the finish. I had the jump. I gapped him, and the other guy. I thought I was gonna beat him. But, it was not to be. In the middle of the corner, my sew-up rolled from the rim, and, I crashed. Hard! I jumped up, scraped and bleeding, and began running with my bike (hell, 3rd place was paying money), but, before I could cross the line, the pack caught me. Lance was 2nd. The guy from SABRC did win.

Lance was alway a bad ass. No matter how frickin fast you were going, he could go faster. He was not a good sprinter. But rather he had a motor that no other racer, I ever raced with could compare to his pure power.

I raced a lot of races. That was then. Now I am fat owner of an SRT10 quad cab.

milkmanedi said:
I used to be a bike bum. Worked at a bike shop about 15 hours a week, and road my bike full time. 400 miles a week was typical. It took me about 7 years to complete my undergraduate studies. Bike racing was just too important to me.

I road raced/MTB raced for many, many years.......USCF license L43241, CAT 1 road, CAT 2 on the track, expert on MTB. I was Texas State Road champion in 86. Competed all over the USA.

I was fortunate enough to have personally trained with Lance Armstrong in and around Dallas. We had standing weekly races on tuesday, I did LSD (Long Steady Distance) on Wednesday, and, intervals with him on Thursdays. Mondays and Fridays were easy days. Saturday and Sunday I raced.

I raced with him many, many times during his early years. I remember one particular criterium race in Waco, when Lance, myself, and a guy from the San Antonio Bicycle Club were on a break away. We traded pulls to the point that we nearly lapped the pack. When the race was within the last 5 laps, Lance, kept trying to drop us, but could not. He could not sprint, and I know he didnot want to try and sprint me or the guy from SABRC. He would stand on the pedals, and, not sprint, but, wind up the speed to nearly 40 fucking MPH! He kept doing this, over, and, over. I would be completely maxed, transfixed to the back of his bike heart rate had to be touching 200. Anyway, on the last lap of the last corner, I attacked him. I could sprint. I thought this was my best opportunity. The last corner was only about 300 meters to the finish. I had the jump. I gapped him, and the other guy. I thought I was gonna beat him. But, it was not to be. In the middle of the corner, my sew-up rolled from the rim, and, I crashed. Hard! I jumped up, scraped and bleeding, and began running with my bike (hell, 3rd place was paying money), but, before I could cross the line, the pack caught me. Lance was 2nd. The guy from SABRC did win.

Lance was alway a bad ass. No matter how frickin fast you were going, he could go faster. He was not a good sprinter. But rather he had a motor that no other racer, I ever raced with could compare to his pure power.

I raced a lot of races. That was then. Now I am fat owner of an SRT10 quad cab.

Cool.....we may have raced with each other...:) ...I too raced with Lance here in Tulsa when he was doing triathlons.....I was at the Cow Town criterium in Ft. Worth.....Lance laped the field twice solo....I tied to hang with him when he came through the 1st time along with about 30 other guys.

Well I lasted about 3 laps before he popped me..:(:(....that guy was something else on the bike....I agree he could not sprint for shit...:)

I called him up after he won his first World Championship and asked if he would send me a signed jersey so I could put it in a slient auction....he sent it too me and it was one he actually used....he had split the sleeves.

I got it framed and it brought $2500 at the auction.....I wish I still had it at the house.....he was really good even as a 16 year old brat.

Glad to have another hasbeen bike racer in the family....welcome.

Walt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back