Towing a pickup truck.. Need opinions/help

Sharpimage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm working on a 79 K20 and i'm not very comfortable driving it on the highway for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time as it's only a 3 speed.. I've been looking around at uhaul and the like and it seems that the trailers you can rent only allow you to put at a max 5200lbs and the pickup trucks you can rent are in town only.. So I'm a bit stuck on what to do, does anyone know any truckers that might have some room for this? Or maybe some other way I could go about bringing this vehicle back up to school for the winter? I know of one person that owns a trailer and he uses his grandpas truck to tow it :D I'm trying to go from Northern Virginia to Rochester NY.. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew

If it is a manual shift you can 4 wheel tow it with a tow bar, rent tow bar from U-Haul.

i had the same issue with uhaul once. they actually would rent it out to me.

I wanted to tow a 91 ford f250 4x4 that had been rolled. So what I ended up doing was rent one of their biggest box trucks and drove the sucker right in. There wasnt much to strap it down with but it went fine and we drove at 55 so it went very easy

Depending on how far you got to go with it you may check with someone at a used car lot that may knows someone that get on a car carrier

FATJACK said:
If it is a manual shift you can 4 wheel tow it with a tow bar, rent tow bar from U-Haul.

unfortunately it's not. It's a TH350 mounted to a NP203 that's been part time converted :dontknow:

FerrariTruck said:
i had the same issue with uhaul once. they actually would rent it out to me.

I wanted to tow a 91 ford f250 4x4 that had been rolled. So what I ended up doing was rent one of their biggest box trucks and drove the sucker right in. There wasnt much to strap it down with but it went fine and we drove at 55 so it went very easy

hahaha that's sweet I'm not real sure if this truck would fit hight wise though It's got a 8" lift on 35" tires :D :rock:

U haul would rent you a tow dolly, just unbolt the rear driveshaft to keep from spinning the transfer case and transmission. Not as safe as a trailer so go easy.

Sharpimage said:
unfortunately it's not. It's a TH350 mounted to a NP203 that's been part time converted :dontknow:
That will still work if the NP203 is mechanical. Put the transfer case in neutral and the shifter in neutral, rent a tow bar and haul ass. U-Haul should have a book telling you if it is neutral towable, if not call the nearest Camping World store.

FATJACK said:
That will still work if the NP203 is mechanical. Put the transfer case in neutral and the shifter in neutral, rent a tow bar and haul ass. U-Haul should have a book telling you if it is neutral towable, if not call the nearest Camping World store.

hahah yeah I was also thinking of just dropping out the rear drive shaft and towing it, but right now it's just a matter of finding someone with a truck that can tow! haha these RC SRTs man.. :D :D But yeah I think what's gonna end up happening is I'm just gonna drive it up and every hour stop and check all the fluids over.. let it cool down and continue to drive. :dontknow: Might take me all damn day but It's not like I do anything on saturdays anyways :D

Unless you have Warn type hubs you better drop both drive shafts;)

includemeout said:
Unless you have Warn type hubs you better drop both drive shafts;)

hahah believe it or not I actually just Installed some warn 1 ton manual hubs on the front so I assume their good to go.. I really wanted to get the premium hubs but it just boiled down to time.. Couldn't get those until today
which was just a no go last week. :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back