Towing limit for SRT-10

Im going to pick up a 8.5x24' trailer next week and gonna fill it with our stuff and tow her to colorado. ill get pics and weights along the way

Total weight full of fuel and I had a #16 from mcdonalds was 14,280 lbs total miles 1156.4 drive time 19:23 Smoked the clutch some getting out of the steep driveway made me cringe :(

Attachments

• 10468102_1015413735139211_7612496651332686737_n.jpg
    10468102_1015413735139211_7612496651332686737_n.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 516
I towed a 28' enclosed with mine one time, never again lol. Brave man making that journey with a loaded enclosed behind a RC! I towed 7K #'s many many times with mine on an open trailer, but nothing that heavy for that long.

Towing with SRT...

My $.02, but the tranny is the biggest item in the drive train on the auto version, and when getting up to larger trailers and more weight, a tranny cooler and oil cooler would help the life of the engine, but the standard, clutch can go if doing it on the road in 5 th gear....no one mentions are they using full towing stuff, like equalizer weight distributing bars ??, Are they using at least one sway bar ?? Is any type of loading specs used on the trailer so you have 55/45 ??!! I also find that with the large tires and being sport type tires, they do have a tendancy to bounce a little, also watch the heat build up, I put nitrogen in my tires and helps to stay a little cooler...especially towing in hot climates...only time I use 6 th is when going down a long hill and gradual drop, but immediately get back into 5 th...

I used airbag helper springs that kept my truck level and I really didn't fishtail to much even with a 24' trailer I think some sway bars would have helped. as far as my tires go I put 40psi in them let them warm up driving a few hundred miles then i checked them again and they were at 50psi which is what the max is for that tire. The first gear just isn't low enough to be towing what I towed and that makes it hard on that clutch I never went above 3k rpms and was shifting super easy and it all worked out good but in the future I am going to stay under 9k total weight

I used airbag helper springs that kept my truck level and I really didn't fishtail to much even with a 24' trailer I think some sway bars would have helped. as far as my tires go I put 40psi in them let them warm up driving a few hundred miles then i checked them again and they were at 50psi which is what the max is for that tire.

Never bought in to class 4 hitches (wheelbarrow handles), sway bars or helper springs. Always thought if you need all that you need a bigger truck. My last tow rig a 1995 F350 Crew Cab DRW with 460 big block, 4-speed auto & 4:10 posi. That truck would tow a 24 foot car trailer with a 69 hemi roadrunner inside @ 85mph all day long. No sway or bounce whatsoever.

If you were carrying all that weight The tires should be set at max PSI cold. Never lowball the pressure and wait for the heat to bring it up. That's how you end up blowing out a tire

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back