Towing

coachv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thing that would be a big problem in towing ? I have a stock 04 reg. cab with the 6 speed. I just can believe that you can't tow with this truck. I bought it new and I have 55 thousand on it .

Ive towed several thousand pounds with mine. Just not a good ideq to romp on it bc the stock clutch wont hold for long.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Do a search in the forums, there has been many write ups about towing with the standard shift, the main thing to remember when towing something at about 2000 pounds or more, never go into 6 th gear, go as high as 5 th when towing and respect the clutch, this is the weakest point...good luck

I don't go past 4th with a car on the trailer. Overdrive gears are prone to coming apart under that much of a load. I have towed over 5k lbs. on more than one occasion and will continue to do so.

Yessir, go for it and just be reasonable as you pull. I agree the clutch is the weakest link and not to use 6th. Even using 5th needs discretion and correct RPMs not to bog engine/tranny. Fortunate for you RC guys y'all have two extra leaves and slapper bar. That allows much more weight to be towed vs. our QCs. Doesn't take much to squat our rear with only 3 leaf springs :(

I tow weekly... And I use 5th and 6th every time... Even with a loaded car hauler... But I'm pretty rogue, though...

Just remember to send me the trans when it comes apart.....

I got about a 100 miles to tow a car and i just dont know about not using 5th and 6th . I can see that the rpm would be down and lug the engine maybe with that load but what about overheating in 4th?

first trans made it to 99k...

i'm at 65k or so on this one...

i also raced my buddy in his z71 with my trailer hooked up... and beat him...

So I should expect it in 34k miles???

Yessir, go for it and just be reasonable as you pull. I agree the clutch is the weakest link and not to use 6th. Even using 5th needs discretion and correct RPMs not to bog engine/tranny. Fortunate for you RC guys y'all have two extra leaves and slapper bar. That allows much more weight to be towed vs. our QCs. Doesn't take much to squat our rear with only 3 leaf springs :(

Are the leaf springs interchangeable? Meaning, can I install RC springs on my QC? Is that worth/possible?

Are the leaf springs interchangeable? Meaning, can I install RC springs on my QC? Is that worth/possible?

They are but obviously you'll raise the rear and still need the flip kit. I'm liking simply putting perches on other side of rear like RC trucks ;)

C.

Last edited:
What is a Cheap Quick Easy and Reliable (yes all four) way to increase my rear ride height in a pinch when I need to tow something?

Back