Transmission Band adjustment procedure

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
procedure for adjusting the automatic transmission bands

First and foremost raise and support vehicle safely and use safety glasses.

You will also need a wide oil pan to catch tranny fluid.

Front Band
The front band(kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission above the throttle valve and manual levers
1. Back off lockdown bolt about 3-5 turns, and make sure adjusting screw is loose, apply some lubricant to the adjusting screw so that it turns freely(very important)
2.Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 Nm or 72 inch pounds with and appropriate torx socket.
3.Then back off the adjusting screw 1 and 3/4 turns, now yes , this is after torqing it down.
4.Hold adjusting screw and tighten lock nut to 41Nm or 30 ftlbs

Rear Band

1. Lower tranny pan and drain fluid.
2. Remove filter
3. loosen lock nut and back it off 5-6 turns and once again make sure the adjusting screw turns freely.
4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 Nm or 72 inch lbs with appropriate socket.
5. Then once again after torqing adjsuting screw, back it off 3 turns.
6.Hold adjusting screw and tighten lock nut to 34Nm or 25 ftlbs.
7. Replace filter and gasket and fluid, tighten tranny bolts to 17Nm or 13 ft lbs.
8. Refill with ATF+4 approximatly 7-10 quarts.

Side note: check fluid after refill hot and in nuetral

Side note, I did on my personal truck go about 1/2 to 1/4 less on the turns than the manual says. This is up to you.

Last edited:
Stupid queston what exactly does this do?

is it to adjust clutch pedal stiffness?

Gear engagement stiffness? i dunno

Thanks Stinker....now I have some work to do this weekend.

Stinker said:
procedure for adjusting the transmission bands

First and foremost raise and support vehicle safely and use safety glasses.

You will also need a wide oil pan to catch tranny fluid.

Front Band
The front band(kickdown) band adjusting screw is located on the left side of the transmission above the throttle valve and manual levers
1. Back off lockdown bolt about 3-5 turns, and make sure adjusting screw is loose, apply some lubricant to the adjusting screw so that it turns freely(very important)
2.Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 Nm or 72 inch pounds with and appropriate torx socket.
3.Then back off the adjusting screw 1 and 3/4 turns, now yes , this is after torqing it down.
4.Hold adjusting screw and tighten lock nut to 41Nm or 30 ftlbs

Rear Band

1. Lower tranny pan and drain fluid.
2. Remove filter
3. loosen lock nut and back it off 5-6 turns and once again make sure the adjusting screw turns freely.
4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 Nm or 72 inch lbs with appropriate socket.
5. Then once again after torqing adjsuting screw, back it off 3 turns.
6.Hold adjusting screw and tighten lock nut to 34Nm or 25 ftlbs.
7. Replace filter and gasket and fluid, tighten tranny bolts to 17Nm or 13 ft lbs.
8. Refill with ATF+4 approximatly 7-10 quarts.

Side note: check fluid after refill hot and in nuetral

Side note, I did on my personal truck go about 1/2 to 1/4 less on the turns than the manual says. This is up to you.

Wow....I didn't do any of that....I:

1) Drove truck to Transmission Shop
2) Got a nice lunch
3) Drove truck home....

hmmmmm

LOL, that's what I did with my srt too.

i gots to get my tranny fluid changed next week......would a normal service shop adjust these bands w/ a tranny service or is it somethin kinda special? Will it make it go into gear and reverse eaiser? Good post stinker....wish you lived closerr to me!

Stinker said:
Dominick572 its for the automatics
I'm with Dominick - what does it do:dontknow: or is this the standard maintenance procedure if you want to do it yourself? - either way thank you Stinker for that very quality post:D . I was most impressed.:rock: Glad you are one of the few that actually have a manual:dancing:

Last edited:
LOLOL read above post Rice,

by the way you can change your fluid in the 6spd yourself in the driveway, save some $ bro.

If ya want I will post a thread describing fluid replacement in the6spd.

but its simple, too simple to pay for.

The bands have clutch material banded to the bands that surround the drum in the automatic transmission.

Over time as with a straight drive 6spd trans, the clutch material will deminish.

Thus causing more clearance between the bands and the drums.

Adjusting the bands brings them back to factory specs.

result, firmer shifts,positive engagement into drive and reverse, also firmer shifts into 2nd and 3rd.

But dont go to far as far as adjustment, you can get it too close and cause shifting problems, that is why they have you back it off to give a tad of clearance.

Stinker said:

by the way you can change your fluid in the 6spd yourself in the driveway, save some $ bro.

Do it Stinker! You can be our official do it yourself instructor :D :rock:

Stinker said:
get on it first thing in the morn sweety pie:D ;)

xxxx0000's
Thank you Stinker. :rock:

Wow, a new do it yourself section :D :D

Stinker said:
What? no kisses and huggs back?LOLOLOl
XXXXX OOOOOO

What was I thinking, how rude of me:eek: - :rock:

hey I might want to try this, but do any little parts fall out when you take off the pan? I don't want any suprises!

Mike

Nope sure nuff not.

When you remove the pan, if WILL be full of fluid, so to ease the spill, remove them slowly and when it starts leaking slowly loosen a few more till it stops then a tad more.

After removing the pan, all you will have to remove is the filter which is held on by 2 torx bits.

And reuse your factory pan gasket the ones that come with the filter will leak, and no silicone or gasket sealer needed.

Stinker said:

gotcha....bands are just for the autos....duh! hahahahahah!

I'd be interested in hearing how to change my tranny fluid and what the best stuff is. It can't be as easy as changing the diff fluid which I did 2 weeks ago w/ Lucas synthetic. Lemee know Stink I'm down w/ savin $$ for more bottle fills!

Its just as easy bro, promise, one drain plug , one fill plug.

Patrick likes mobil atf synthetic trans fluid, I like redline.

I'll start a thread tommorow or tonight and let ye see how easy it is, and what types to use in the 6spd

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back