Transmission Grinding

moparman95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed at the track, shifting into 4th, there was a small grind as it went in. Now, it's getting cold outside, and it wants to grind going into every gear until it warms up. Once at op temp, its fine. Had my tranny fluid changed and its still doing it. I installed an X-metal shifter, but I dont think thats the problem.

Clutch fluid change? Clutch upgrade? I just dont wanna start throwing parts at this thing. Just odd that it does it only when its cold.

I would just change the oil in the tranny as I have seen many t56 with the wrong fluid act funny, especially when the temp drops. With this said, remember all manual trannys WILL shift a lil bit firmer until the oil is warmed.:D

moparman95 said:
I noticed at the track, shifting into 4th, there was a small grind as it went in. Now, it's getting cold outside, and it wants to grind going into every gear until it warms up. Once at op temp, its fine. Had my tranny fluid changed and its still doing it. I installed an X-metal shifter, but I dont think thats the problem.

Clutch fluid change? Clutch upgrade? I just dont wanna start throwing parts at this thing. Just odd that it does it only when its cold.
change your clutch fluid to a high temp
barely loosend the shifter mount row the gears and center the shifter then tighen
change over to atf fluid sythetic

Hopefully not bent forks but maybe your synchro's are giving in a little the fluid change will help...

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
change your clutch fluid to a high temp
barely loosend the shifter mount row the gears and center the shifter then tighen
change over to atf fluid sythetic

You have any good clutch fluid??

When I changed my trans fluid, I added two bottles of Mopar's friction modifier to the factory oil. It hasn't been that cold, yet, around here but last winter I had the same issue when the trans was cold. Once it wartmed up, all was well. We'll see what the modifier does this season.

FastRam said:
When I changed my trans fluid, I added two bottles of Mopar's friction modifier to the factory oil. It hasn't been that cold, yet, around here but last winter I had the same issue when the trans was cold. Once it wartmed up, all was well. We'll see what the modifier does this season.

Keep me posted, please, sir. Gracias. Gets a little embarrasing. Seems to happen when people are watching my truck go by...

moparman95 said:
Keep me posted, please, sir. Gracias. Gets a little embarrasing. Seems to happen when people are watching my truck go by...

I hear ya there. A few times last winter I thought the trans wasn't going to switch gears and I had to be really gentle or it was grinding city. Letting the truck warm up and riding through the gears while it was idling seemed to help a little bit, but not much. My big issue was the 1-2 shift when cold. I'll keep ya posted on how the friction modifier works out.

the biggest thing is the oem fluid is goo, dont play well with cooler temps , turns into maple syrup, change it out to atf and you will be much happier, actually tremec will tell ya the same thing

JAYSSRT said:
As Rick said. You should have bought a QC auto:D

I wasn't in the market to buy a tank. You got a driveshaft yet?? We missed you at the track Saturday.

the biggest thing is the oem fluid is goo, dont play well with cooler temps , turns into maple syrup, change it out to atf and you will be much happier, actually tremec will tell ya the same thing

What kinda ATF is best? Mercon, Dexron, +4??

ATF +4 sir or the gm syntetic

Ackhum(cough) GM generic motor what?... hahaha

Seriously, though .. If we are changing the fluid in the gearbox how many qts. and use which OTS brand of Mercon 4?

Mine has been a bitch to put in reverse, wants to pop out or grind some times. Am I low on fluid? just need to change it? or Clutch? hydrolics?... My weakest point is Manual Transmissions, I know don't know much on how ours is set up.

Which parts need fluid(i.e. clutch, hydrolics, gearbox, etc.) and which fluid to use.

Cause I think mine needs some attention. I'm having 3rd/4th gear issues as well as reverse.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back