Transmission repair

Jackiechan

Reaction score
Hi!

Now it is winter here in Sweden and the truck is put to sleep in a warm garage for a couple of months.

So I figured it is time to fix my got damn reverse who never really worked fine for me. Popping out and hard to get in gear etc. You have probably already read about it in my old topics.

On the way to the garage and the very last drive this year I also noticed my clutch has given up on me.. When driving in 6th gear at low rpms and a little push on the throttle(no clutch) the rpms fly away for a second and then settle back to normal and actually starting to move the truck. This is ONLY in 6th gear! This might be the main reason for wearing out the reverse gear. No proper clutch function..?

Anyway, I have never worked with transmissions or clutches before, But I will try to fix this private, all US car workshops here is extremely expensive. I was thinking of buying a new OEM clutch-kit and a syncro rebuild-kit. Maybe a new reverse gear if its worn out. My truck is not tuned(cut-outs, removed cats and open air).

So do you have any advices for this work? Special tools for removing gearbox or clutch? Is it difficult to mount it off from the truck? Once the gearbox is down I will get help from a guy who knows t-56s inside-out. So I hope that is easily solved once I know all the parts I need. I hope the 5/6th gear is fine. Never heard a scrath from another gear than reverse.

A lot of text. But Im sure you guys will read and leave a wise comment, maybe some pics? :rock:

Best regards Jacob

There are some special tools needed, mainly the 5/6 gear puller, which I have and would be happy to let you borrow it. If you google t56 information you can find the factory service manual with disassembly instructions and reassembly instructions. I have done a few of the transmissions and it isn't difficult if you are mechanically inclined.

Hi!

You people are so kind. You mean a tool for pulling the 5th and 6th gear out from the tranny? If I cant get one here I would really appreciate borrowing one and pay for shipping.

Yes I have googled some instructions. There is alot of different t56s. We have the Tremec magnum series right? Noob question :dontknow:

Im not Mechanically retarded so I think I will solve this :D

Jacob

Thank you guys!

Now I got the tranny of the truck for a later inspection.

What do you think is the best clutch for me to buy at a reasonable price? Is the OEM dodge clutch that bad? Centerforce etc might be overkill for my stock truck. And the price is much higher. How is the jtvsp clutches? "South Bend daily" and "VIper stage I" for around $500? It is just for daily use, no trackdays or hard driving. Maybe one or 2 dragstrips/year. And some redlight races ;)

And Is it a "must" to change the hydraulics? Slave and master? I cant see or feel anyting wrong with the hydaulics but maybe that caused the clutchfailure..

Best regards Jacob

Thank you guys!

Now I got the tranny of the truck for a later inspection.

What do you think is the best clutch for me to buy at a reasonable price? Is the OEM dodge clutch that bad? Centerforce etc might be overkill for my stock truck. And the price is much higher. How is the jtvsp clutches? "South Bend daily" and "VIper stage I" for around $500? It is just for daily use, no trackdays or hard driving. Maybe one or 2 dragstrips/year. And some redlight races ;)

And Is it a "must" to change the hydraulics? Slave and master? I cant see or feel anyting wrong with the hydaulics but maybe that caused the clutchfailure..

Best regards Jacob

In my opinion, the stock clutch is more than adequate for the way you plan on using the truck. It is not a must to change the hydraulics but I would recommend it, the truck is older and not sure what kind of miles you have. It is cheap insurance to not have to pull the transmission out again.

Okey :)

I only have 20k miles on it. Im a bit dissapointed for these problems on such a low milage car with high performance from factory. But I dont know how the previous owner drove or took care of it..

Thats why im thinking of a slightly upgrade, to a spec 1 or 2 for the same price as the oem dodge clutch kit. And yeah it is better to change the hydraulics too. I cant be cheap on a car like this ;)

Good quality pictures are great to have when putting it back together, especially when some parts are different than the manual you have to use

Hey Nuke!

Are you talking about the clutchchange or in the tranny? And what parts could be different? Everything that can make it easier for me is very good to know :)

cheers

This is the manual that I have used:

http://www.thirdshiftstudios.com/T56manual.pdf

Not all parts will look identical however the inner workings are all very similar and you will get the general idea. :D

i was just saying take good pics of the insides of the trans as you take it apart since VPRRWRD said not all the parts show in the manual link he posted would look identical. pics always help, especially if you can't get back to it for weeks or months

yeah, I think I will just send the tranny to my friend. I dont want to mess things up in it :p He runs 1000rwhp in a volvo 242 with a t56, Im sure he can check it for me!

Thanks!

If you run into problems let me know, I got like a million :) sequenced pictures of how it all goes together from when i took my T56 apart when doing my manual swap (in a hemi).

Just one more thing, you do not have a T56 magnum/TR6060, that is the newer model. You have a viper srt10 TRUCK T56. When ordering parts make sure to mention this, there is also a SRT10 car T56 which has a different tailhousing,... Found that out the hard way, when my parts arrived and some didn't fit :-(

Also keep in mind that the manual posted here is a generic one for a T56, there are some differences to a SRT10 truck transmission, for example, there is no speedogear in the tailhousing on the srt10 one, truck T56 has a one piece countershaft (on the drawing it's a 2 piece)...

Here is a link to the 2006 dodge ram factory manual, there is a section on the T56 in there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sd4d9k7lzzwvy1b/2006%20service%20manual.pdf?dl=0

Here is a link to an exploded parts view, also a section on the T56 in there (beware the pictures used are for a generic T56, not viper specific):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3i5liowoii7d4x/Exploded%20part%20view.pdf?dl=0

Good luck on the rebuild.

Last edited:
Hi Again, quick question; Is the clutch same in my srt-10 as a viper srt-10 -2004 Sachs?

its the only one I can find here in Sweden.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back