Transmission Winter Oil

sinus19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...
Winter is here along with 7 Deg. Weather. I need to change my trans oil here quite soon and i was wondering what you guys recomend i put in? Every morning it the shifter is stiff between gears. Im assuming the oil thickens up over night and it takes about 5 mins of driving for it loosen up. Also, second gear tends to grind on very cold start ups. But when the oil warms up it shifts just find.

MY trans builder had me run ATF in mine. They recommend against synthetic, and told me the warranty is voided if I use anything mobil 1 especially gear oil. I went with Castrol dextron 3 atf and love it in hot or cold.

I'm the new gear oil that is sold at the Dodge dealership. Used in the new T6060 transmission in the Viper.

I'll never have to drive the truck in sub 40 degree weather, but the truck shifts perfect otherwise.

Hey Guys...
Winter is here along with 7 Deg. Weather. I need to change my trans oil here quite soon and i was wondering what you guys recomend i put in? Every morning it the shifter is stiff between gears. Im assuming the oil thickens up over night and it takes about 5 mins of driving for it loosen up. Also, second gear tends to grind on very cold start ups. But when the oil warms up it shifts just find.

Don't you let it warm up before you drive it? When I drive mine in cold weather I let it warm up for about 10 min and its all good (in ND):marchmellow:

Of course i do, atleast for 15 mins. But it needs to be moving for the trans oil to warm up

In neutral its spinning the shaft and moving the oil. Have you checked the condition of the oil?

If your driving your 10 below 10* ATF would be a better choice than gear oil. I'm running 70W90 gear oil right now. In the cold it's kind of stiff shifting until she warms up. Have to drive it to get the trans fluid temp up. Letting it idle will take forever to warm the trans up.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back