Trial and Error question

texastonka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on this site for a few months learning more and more about this truck I bought, during the 6 months I have replaced an axle, upgraded almost everything I could get my hands on and am still working on it.

For some reason I think I ran across a thread about DO NOT remove the two black covers attached behind the grill. The ones that ram all the air through the radiator. The passenger side rams the air to the air box.

Something about if you remove them it will rip open the hood at speeds.

Was I dreaming this? :dontknow: Can anyone chime in?

I JUST thought of this after installing a giant heat exchanger in front that requires the removal of both sides of the 'behind grill' covers.

Any info would be greatly apopreciated!

I think a number of members have removed the plastic bits without any issue. I've left mine alone though!:D

False!!! Been 140 in mine without the plastic doohickeys!! I believe they channel the air into the radiator, but mine runs just fine without even in Texas Summer!:rock:

False!!! Been 140 in mine without the plastic doohickeys!! I believe they channel the air into the radiator, but mine runs just fine without even in Texas Summer!:rock:

I'm running a bit of boost in San Antonio heat so you know the heat I am talking about. As long as taking these off won't make me bubble up on I35 traffic I will be A-OK.

Really want electric fans on the heat exchanger and rad but NO more ROOM!:mad:

same here...hit triple digits and no issues with the hood or the texas heat

i never heard of your hood flying open, but my concern would be water getting to the intake filter (if u have a K&N like me) and the battery on the other side. Anyone have issues with this?

i never heard of your hood flying open, but my concern would be water getting to the intake filter (if u have a K&N like me) and the battery on the other side. Anyone have issues with this?

Good point, had not thought of that.:dontknow:

honestly the only time you should be worried about too much water entering into the air intake and makiing it into the engine is if you are in a very deep creek

Found a safe area and said what the hell... 130+mph pulls and no issues with hood movement... Looks like this myth is BUSTED

On a side note though, now that they are out and I see it in the sun, I hate the look, I liked it blacked out. Anyone use the black mesh grills? Do they look good?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back