Truck Dead, Help

caveman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last summer my alternator quit charging. While driving down the road, the Check Gauges light would come on and the volt gauge would drop to zero. Y'all told me I needed to replace the alternator. Being a cheap caveman, I didn't. The problem seemed to go away.

Fast forward 7 months: I was driving home tonight and the Check Gauges light came on and the volt gauge dropped to zero. I'm headed out to the garage to pull the alternator in just a minute. Are there any other potential problems I should consider before replacing the alternator? I'm a little perplexed as to why it acted normal for so long after the last round of misbehavior.

Thanks,
-Chris

your battery good?? I had a few issues after mine sitting that i was draining my battery kinda fast went through one second one had a little bit of problem for about a week now haven't had an issue since...

Thanks for the quick response!

I assume the battery is good. I had the SCT on it earlier today and it said 12 volts. Also, the volt gauge went to zero and I drove 30 plus miles to get home, so the battery had enough juice to get me here. It is almost dead now though.

Get your battery and alternator load tested. Advance and others will do it for free (hoping to sell you chit). But if it went to 0, not to 9-11 volts while running, I'd wonder if MAYBE you've got wiring issues, like a faulty ground.

Get your battery and alternator load tested. Advance and others will do it for free (hoping to sell you chit). But if it went to 0, not to 9-11 volts while running, I'd wonder if MAYBE you've got wiring issues, like a faulty ground.

The gauge normally reads 14 volts. When it is acting funky, it reads 11 volts when I start it up then drops to 0. By because it happened months ago, then just started acting up again, I am also leaning towards a wiring issue.

Thanks for the advice about having them both load tested!

Hopefully, its just a bad battery or alternator. As suggested get them load tested Although, the problem may be a faulty voltage regulator (VR). I am not sure about the 04/05 models, but on the 06, the VR is contained within the PCM. And of course the VR itself is not serviceable. If the VR goes bad, the PCM needs to be replaced.

Hopefully, its just a bad battery or alternator. As suggested get them load tested Although, the problem may be a faulty voltage regulator (VR). I am not sure about the 04/05 models, but on the 06, the VR is contained within the PCM. And of course the VR itself is not serviceable. If the VR goes bad, the PCM needs to be replaced.

Very good information. Thanks.

My truck does this some time, when I first start it up, volt meter will be limp. then maybe 20-30 sec the volts come up.

does not do this everytime. goes away for months & comes back from time to time.

but I had my battery replaced, not long ago and still does it. probably just the ALT.

guess I'll be buying one myself.

My truck does this some time, when I first start it up, volt meter will be limp. then maybe 20-30 sec the volts come up.

does not do this everytime. goes away for months & comes back from time to time.

but I had my battery replaced, not long ago and still does it. probably just the ALT.

guess I'll be buying one myself.

I guess it's semi nice to hear I am not the only one with a problem like this.

I guess it's semi nice to hear I am not the only one with a problem like this.

I have a few alts on my ebay saved, the 250amp HO ones. might just buy one of them.

HAHA I was thinking it was just my truck.

and it did it the other day, I have the jetta now, so the truck sits alomst all week, maybe take it out saturday or so, thought it might of been from that.

I have a few alts on my ebay saved, the 250amp HO ones. might just buy one of them.

HAHA I was thinking it was just my truck.

and it did it the other day, I have the jetta now, so the truck sits alomst all week, maybe take it out saturday or so, thought it might of been from that.

Have a link for those alternators?

nice alt:rock::rock::rock:

wonder how it would work with Tony's crank pulley:dontknow:

nice alt:rock::rock::rock:

wonder how it would work with Tony's crank pulley:dontknow:

I don'tknow, it's spins slower correct ? I may be wrong.

I would think being a higher amp, that a slower rotation would not hurt it.

I could be wrong, but an audio forum would have a sure answer, they are only allowed 1500rpm during burps in the lanes.

good question, I'll see what I can find out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back