Truck died on the highway

ViperZero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was out with the wife for our anniversary dinner, so we decide to take the 10. On the way home from the restaurant and the truck just dies during normal acceleration, lost all power to the motor and had to throw on the hazards and pull into a shopping center to park. Funny thing is she starts right back up, and seems to run normally.

I have gotten a "hesitation" almost like it's choking out a couple of times during more aggressive driving(without the wife). I do have a CEL on now, but it's for the leak detection pump. 1494 if I recall correctly. I could use some help, as the wife wants me to get rid of the truck now. Seems to be a money pit, just put in $1k for brake overhaul and it needs ball joints and whatever is going on now. If I do trade this in, I'm getting a challenger or going back into a mustang.

P1494-LEAK DETECTION PUMP SWITCH OR MECHANICAL FAULT - SRT10

the wife wants me to get rid of the truck now. Seems to be a money pit, just put in $1k for brake overhaul and it needs ball joints and whatever is going on now. If I do trade this in, I'm getting a challenger or going back into a mustang.

How is that a money pit? That's normal wear & tear maintenance, comes with every vehicle.

Any 10 year old car needs help. My stupid neighbor traded her new *** bike (with warranty) for a 2000 Sportster. Puts a Voyager kit (landscape trailer tires as training wheels) on it plus her fat ass overloading the engine. Then complains about it any time she has a problem.

Half a tank of gas, new battery in March.. Not used to stuff breaking on my vehicles, haven't bought used in 15 years. I love my truck, don't get me wrong. Every month it's something else with this truck breaking. Just want to get running and it's frustrating every time I fix something, another thing happens.

Half a tank of gas, new battery in March.. Not used to stuff breaking on my vehicles, haven't bought used in 15 years. I love my truck, don't get me wrong. Every month it's something else with this truck breaking. Just want to get running and it's frustrating every time I fix something, another thing happens.

I agree it sounds like a cam/crank sensor on the fritz. Both inexpensive repairs. I'd start with Crank sensor as its easier to replace. Often these will not throw a fault code :(

I'm going to order the parts from rock auto.com, only about 55 bucks before shipping. Can you guys give me an idea where these two censors are located, so I can get started or get a couple extra hands to help out. I assume that the crank position sensor is behind the pulley, right? If that's the case I'll just have to install my new underdrive pulley as well, that's been sitting collecting dust.

Thank you guys for your help, was just a little frustrated last night, and the wife was in my ear for a little bit.

I'm going to order the parts from rock auto.com, only about 55 bucks before shipping. Can you guys give me an idea where these two censors are located, so I can get started or get a couple extra hands to help out. I assume that the crank position sensor is behind the pulley, right? If that's the case I'll just have to install my new underdrive pulley as well, that's been sitting collecting dust.

Thank you guys for your help, was just a little frustrated last night, and the wife was in my ear for a little bit.

You won't need help at all. One bolt for each sensor. Cam sensor has specific install depth, crank sensor is eazy peezy

I think you are better off getting the sensors from a Dodge dealer. I seem to have less trouble with them if there is such a thing. Unless there is a unreasonable price difference like the power steering. Pump to fan line $140 + 2 ends $260 = $400
Braided line kit $250 for both hoses.

I think you are better off getting the sensors from a Dodge dealer. I seem to have less trouble with them if there is such a thing. Unless there is a unreasonable price difference like the power steering. Pump to fan line $140 + 2 ends $260 = $400
Braided line kit $250 for both hoses.

Got both my sensors from O'Reilly 40,000 miles back. Seem to working fine. :dontknow:

Got both my sensors from O'Reilly 40,000 miles back. Seem to working fine. :dontknow:

I'm with Shorty. Local auto parts store. Even if they are faulty you can take em back. Dealers like to be a pain on returns but local auto parts guys could care less and they'll swap without any arguement.

Hay Dodge took that PS line back after 2 months even without a receipt. That totally shocked the hell out of me. Guy I worked with had a Sebring with a bad crank sensor. Motor stalled when hot at times. Put in a A. M. Sensor, CEL came right on but the motor never acted up again. He Tryed another one but same thing. Drove it for a few years until it went bad again. This time he used a Mopar part (cost only a little more) & no CEL or stalling.
Another buddy ordered A. M. rear strut mounts for his SRT4 were over $100. After waiting weeks they came in wrong. Ordered from Mopar they were 1/2 the price & came in a week. Never hurts to shop Mopar first.
I worked at a Harley Davidson dealer for years. Can't tell you how many times H-D's price was cheaper then the after market. Example- DynoJet carb jet kit. H-D=$75 A. M. =$120 same part for same bike different part number

Parts came on Monday, finally installed them this morning. Going to get the code reader from a friend of mine to reset the CEL.

When I went to install the cam sensor I noticed it was cracked and when I removed it it was very dry on the seal. Cam was in the right position, so I didn't have to turn the motor. Hope his was the remedy.

Parts came on Monday, finally installed them this morning. Going to get the code reader from a friend of mine to reset the CEL.

When I went to install the cam sensor I noticed it was cracked and when I removed it it was very dry on the seal. Cam was in the right position, so I didn't have to turn the motor. Hope his was the remedy.

Sounds like it for sure but....hopefully your cam gear isn't loose :(
Sounds like it may have contacted cam sensor? Is she up and running?

Also one question, does the PCM have to re-learn anything? Can I drive normally? 95% of the trips I do with the truck are under 10 miles each day.

Sounds like it for sure but....hopefully your cam gear isn't loose :(
Sounds like it may have contacted cam sensor? Is she up and running?

It up and running, I took it for a ride around town. All seams well. It was cracked outside of the seal, not the part that goes in the engine, where the mounting bracket meets the actual sensor.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back