Truck parked for months, gas & battery ?'s

mauiSRT/10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to start truck and found out stocker battery has died. Got a new diehard platinum to install and started wondering if my gas is ok. After doing a search and reading old threads it would seem yes it's ok. Not sure how much is in there. If I park my truck and not drive it for two months should I add stabil or something?

Would be nice to use a trickle charger but no power at my warehouse. Also can't use a solar one cause it's inside. Should I disconnect the battery when I leave it for a month or more?

Anything else I should do to pamper my hotrod during storage?

Patrick

gas should be ok just drive it out and fill it up.....if your going to let your truck sit for a month or so i think you should add stabil...and as far as a battery....if you leave it hooked up it will die, no matter what....small amounts of power is always being used by your ecm, radio, alarm etc..... just disconnect the battery before you leave next time and you will be fine....

if its going to be stored for a wile, very often. why not install a battery disconnect? just flip a switch and go

Just disconnect the main fuse under the hood that's what I do when I'm out of town.no tools needed

there are all types to choose from, here's one that mounts right on the battery
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1439/. There are plenty more to choose on this site. When it comes to gas, I've been told that three months is enough time for it to go off. I always add stabil when I fill up. I also use a bit more as the directions call for longer storage. (but you must use fresh 'olene)

Here is a HUGE tip......

It is common knowlage in the aviation industry that if an internal combustion engine sits for more than 4-7 days, it is concidered a "Dry Start". All the oil has drained back into the pan. Yes, you "might" have a thin film of oil here and there, but not enough to give full protection.

That's why most small planes have an oil accumulator to pre charge the oiling system before ignition.

If I do not start my RC for more than 4 days, I will pull #57 Relay from the fuse box. I will then turn over the engine for a minimum of 10 seconds or untill I see the oil pressure gauge move. At this point, I turn off the ignition and disconnect the battery. Turn the key to the ON position for 30 seconds (to reset ECU) then remove key, re-connect battery and start the engine.

Of course, a good battery helps for this operation:)

This procedure ensures no dry starts on my engine and prolongs bearing life.

Psycho1122 said:
Here is a HUGE tip......

It is common knowlage in the aviation industry that if an internal combustion engine sits for more than 4-7 days, it is concidered a "Dry Start". All the oil has drained back into the pan. Yes, you "might" have a thin film of oil here and there, but not enough to give full protection.

That's why most small planes have an oil accumulator to pre charge the oiling system before ignition.

If I do not start my RC for more than 4 days, I will pull #57 Relay from the fuse box. I will then turn over the engine for a minimum of 10 seconds or untill I see the oil pressure gauge move. At this point, I turn off the ignition and disconnect the battery. Turn the key to the ON position for 30 seconds (to reset ECU) then remove key, re-connect battery and start the engine.

Of course, a good battery helps for this operation:)

This procedure ensures no dry starts on my engine and prolongs bearing life.
Cool thanks for the heads up.:rock: :rock: :rock:

make sure and use the green stabil its for gas with ethanol. the ethanol over time will eat up rubber lines and that will slow it some. my mechanic just had to have a few lines replaced on a boat motor only 40 hours on it. luckily i fill up where theres no ethanol...just a suggestion.

eddie102870 said:
make sure and use the green stabil its for gas with ethanol. the ethanol over time will eat up rubber lines and that will slow it some. my mechanic just had to have a few lines replaced on a boat motor only 40 hours on it. luckily i fill up where theres no ethanol...just a suggestion.
Thanks Eddie, I never even heard of a "Green" stabil. Good info

joemags54 said:
Thanks Eddie, I never even heard of a "Green" stabil. Good info
ive seen it but ive always bought the red. i think its for marine engines but the mechanic who fixed the boat motor said people will start having problems in cars before long with the ethanol. it eats away at the rubber lines

eddie102870 said:
ive seen it but ive always bought the red. i think its for marine engines but the mechanic who fixed the boat motor said people will start having problems in cars before long with the ethanol. it eats away at the rubber lines
10-4 big guy...... PS, My best wishes to your son, on his safe return. May God Bless and protect him, and all that serve this country.

I have always added two bottles of fuel stabilizer and fill the tank right full to prevent condensation from warm/cold temps, this will keep water from getting in the fuel and then I plug in my battery tender, done it for the last 3 yrs and then before I start it k pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it over for about 10-15 seconds, put fuse back in, turn key on wait a few seconds till fuel pressure goes up to 60psi and holds then fire it up, never had a problem.

Use a good fuel stabilizer and I use one of those C-Tec battery maintainers all winter long. And the other truck I pull the battery out because it's in storage without power.

One more thing... Add the cool blue cig light back into your sig... ;)

How you doing Patrick...

marine formula

Attachments

• Marine-Formula-STA-BIL_8oz_Ethanol_Treatment_22239[1].jpg
    Marine-Formula-STA-BIL_8oz_Ethanol_Treatment_22239[1].jpg
    4 KB · Views: 31
Ethanol is wreaking havoc in the motorsports industry. Just wait till EPA and this administration mandates doubling Ethanol to 20% :mad:

hmm i have to start paying attention to gas stations and ethanol.....I believe they publish whether there using it or not right? Aren't all gas required to have it these days? If not which companies don't run it? Any disadvantages from not using it?

Troy's QC SRT said:
hmm i have to start paying attention to gas stations and ethanol.....I believe they publish whether there using it or not right? Aren't all gas required to have it these days? If not which companies don't run it? Any disadvantages from not using it?
In NY there's a sticker right on the gas pump. "Contains 10% ethanol".

I work in the marine industry and have argued the use of 15% ethanol with the EPA. If your storing it for a couple of Months then there are a few things to remember. Ethanonal is hydroscopic, which means it attracts water. The longer then fuel sits then the more water it will attract. This then causes the water / Ethanol mix to go to the bottom of the tank and starts corroding things. This can also cause starting issues as the pickup is at the bottom of the tank. To reduce this always use a good fuel stabilizer prior to storing the SRT and store it with a full tank of fuel.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back