Truck Slugish

NorCal SRT-10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since July, I haven't been driving the 10 all that much. It mostly sits in the garage for 1 to 2 weeks at a time before I take it out for a spin. I start it every couple of days in between drives, but that's about it. One thing I notice when I haven't driven it for a while, is that when I start it, warm it up for a bit, and go to take off, it seems like I have to give it a lot of gas before it begins rolling. After driving for a bit it goes back to normal though.

It doesn't feel like my tranny is slipping or anything like that. Tranny fluid looks good. Could it be the Torque management system?:dontknow: I'm still bone stock with the drivetrain and ECM.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

No, it isn't TQ Management.
Does it make a difference when you pull it into first gear (instead of Drive)?
By a difference I mean does it pick up speed in first with the same amount of throttle, compared to being in Drive...

If it does, it could be band adjustment time.

There IS a certain amount of fluid drainback in the autos after they have sat for a while and that normally causes a small delay after you pull them into gear from Park. But once it is engaged and they need more throttle than normal...see above...

Ronnie

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
Does it make a difference when you pull it into first gear (instead of Drive)?
By a difference I mean does it pick up speed in first with the same amount of throttle, compared to being in Drive...

If it does, it could be band adjustment time.

Ronnie

I haven't tried that yet, but I will next time I take it out. The truck has 22,000 miles. Do you think it would need a band adjustment already?

I know in the auto there is a check valve up by the front in the cooler lines....maybe since it sits so long it takes a while for the fluid to circulate and pnce it's hot it flows fine??

i remember mine doing that from time to time. adjust the bands and change the fluid and filter and it should be ok. especially since your still mostly stock.

NorCal SRT-10 said:
I haven't tried that yet, but I will next time I take it out. The truck has 22,000 miles. Do you think it would need a band adjustment already?

Maybe, but I don't know how your truck been used.

If I have mine at the track with drag radials, I might adjust them every 15 passes or so.
When mine was mostly stock, and still under warranty, I had the tranny serviced at the 20,000 mile mark and it needed adjusting, according to the tech.

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:

If I have mine at the track with drag radials, I might adjust them every 15 passes or so.
I imagine you're only refering to the front band??? doesn't the pan need to be dropped for the other bands?

kickinassrt-10 said:
I imagine you're only refering to the front band??? doesn't the pan need to be dropped for the other bands?

No, I do them both. And yes, one is in the pan above the filter.

If you do your own work, get a drainplug kit for $10.00. It will save you rinsing your armpits with hot tranny fluid during maintenance....:D

Ronnie

kickinassrt-10 said:
I know in the auto there is a check valve up by the front in the cooler lines....maybe since it sits so long it takes a while for the fluid to circulate and pnce it's hot it flows fine??

I was thinking along these lines as well. Once the truck has been driven around and is warmed up, I can start it up later that day and it will be just fine. I was thinking that the fluid is settling during the long inactive period, and is just taking a while to get where it needs to be. I'm just not sure though. Or if it's a common thing.

I drive it "conservatively". But I bought it with 18,000 miles and can't speak for how it was treated before. It was pretty immaculate when I bought it so I would say the previous owner took good care of it. But you never know, right?

NorCal SRT-10 said:
I was thinking along these lines as well. Once the truck has been driven around and is warmed up, I can start it up later that day and it will be just fine. I was thinking that the fluid is settling during the long inactive period, and is just taking a while to get where it needs to be. I'm just not sure though. Or if it's a common thing.

I drive it "conservatively". But I bought it with 18,000 miles and can't speak for how it was treated before. It was pretty immaculate when I bought it so I would say the previous owner took good care of it. But you never know, right?

I would have it serviced...
As mentioned there is a check-valve in the cooler line but it doesn't do a 100% job of keeping the fluid where it should be...

Ours are the LAST trannys on the planet that still require band adjustments. They are important to do.
I've had my tranny in and out of the truck so often, I think I'll switch the bolts to Velcro..;)
Now that it is properly built, it puts up with the power level I am at.

Ronnie

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
I would have it serviced...
As mentioned there is a check-valve in the cooler line but it doesn't do a 100% job of keeping the fluid where it should be...

Ours are the LAST trannys on the planet that still require band adjustments. They are important to do.
I've had my tranny in and out of the truck so often, I think I'll switch the bolts to Velcro..;)
Now that it is properly built, it puts up with the power level I am at.

Ronnie
Yea my bands were just adjusted a week ago after 6K miles on the new tranny...
My check valve was taken out...It doesn't hurt it down here where it's always warm...I don't know if i'd recommend that wehre it's cold becuase it will take a minute or 2 for fluid to build up...

kickinassrt-10 said:
Yea my bands were just adjusted a week ago after 6K miles on the new tranny...
My check valve was taken out...It doesn't hurt it down here where it's always warm...I don't know if i'd recommend that wehre it's cold becuase it will take a minute or 2 for fluid to build up...

That is probably a good idea. If they plug with band/clutch material over time, it can starve the tranny for fluid.

Last edited:
I hadn't even thought about adjusting the bands this early, but you guys may be right. I'll look into getting that done soon. Thanks a lot for all of the helpful information.

I thought in the manual it says to have them adjusted every 15k miles.

Tweak said:
I thought in the manual it says to have them adjusted every 15k miles.

I probably would have seen that if I had read my manual. :D I just skimmed through it. Good point though Tweak.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back