truck wont idle and misses

McLuvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys. Got the motor back from i replaced the senso. the builder. Looks great dropped it in. Won't idle and it misses. Hard to start sounds like timing. Low power on the street. Though I didn't try very hard due to circumstances. I did gas it a little to see if it would clear up in the mid range. It does. Though not completely. I backed the cam pos sensor out about an 1/8 in and then it would idle and crank smoothly rather than that har crank it had before. I replaced the sensor. No help. The timing chain is now a cloyes setup. Has adj cam timing. Also, the unit is made for Gen 2 so the timing marks must be ignored. The builder has used these before with no problem. He said he matches up the stock gear and the timing should be set to stock. Before I loose my head. Can anyone give me any suggestions. The battery has been out of the truck for well over a year. I reinstalled the tune with the sct to make sure nothing was lost. Has 2 bar map and larger injectors. Really sounds like a timing issue to me. What else could cause a timing issue? I haven't looked at the crank post sensor at all. I do know that when I pull the cam sensor back a bit I get a P0340 cam pos sensore circuit.
any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance...

When he said the timing should be set to stock, I'm assuming he means the cam-to-crank timing.
I'd want to make sure the cam sprocket has the same face design as the o.e.m. so the cam sensor gets the proper signal at the proper time.
Although it could be many things and it's hard to diagnose via email, if it is running like you describe and is tripping a cam sensor code, look there.

Yes, report back all engine codes your PCM is giving. Sounds to be timing related as you mention. Cam position sensor is very sensitive as to how it installed depth wise. Chrysler has specific depth it should be installed at.
Both Cam and Crank sensors are very inexpensive to swap out and exclude as the problem. Hopefully it isn't in the timing chain install:confused:

I replaced the cam sensor. I am worried about the Cloyes timing chain.

I understand that part, but let's try and rule out external parts before tearing back into her. Know what I'm sayin? Was the CAM sensor installed at the 1 5/8" that DODGE says? ( Measurement I put may not be accurate) I know it it basically gets installed right at the measuring face on the cam gear ( reluctor ring) and once the engine is fired, it will SHAVE OFF THE END OF THE CAM SENSOR to get the correct gap for signal. It CANNOT JUST BE PUT IN AND TIGHTENED!!! I've been the one to install incorrectly and chew the end of the sensor off a bit too much,lol.:(

Ya, I agree i dont want to pull it apart either. I replaced the sensor so it had the new nub on the end. The service manual says that the measurement, if i read it correctly, is from the reluctor ring to the face of timing cover. It just lets u know that the reluctor ring is in the right location for install. It said to install the sensor till it touches the ring when the ring is high. If reinstalling use the chrysler cork paper sticker to get proper gap. So, the way I read this is the sensor is like .020" from the reluctor. If thats all correct, than I believe I have the sensor in the right spot...

Take a look at the pics.. I seem to think the reluctor ring could be rotated a 3/8 inch or so.

IMG_1957.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think in this picture that the dowel pins are lined up.. look at the bottom 2 bolts.

Found a pic of a modified Cloyes for Gen 3.... Whats the differance. Hard to tell. I can see they added a new timing mark.

cloyes%252520chain.jpg

Ask the builder if he degreed the camshaft. If he did then there shouldnt be anything to worry about as far as the cam to crank timing goes. Although the pickup position on the sprocket for the sensor does appear to be in a slightly different spot, but very difficult to tell without a straight edge comparing the two sprockets.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back