Turbo Q's

faslane505 said:
has anyone ever heard of this company??? has anyone on here tried it? it looks like its a similar setup to the sts as the turbo uses exhaust from after the header (the single turbo kit..... twin turbo setup comes with custom headers). they also have a twin turbo setup that looks awsome!:rock:

http://www.proturbokits.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=242

Right now I'm on a Budget I sure could use one:rock: but is it really worth it?
Is the Paxton More Practical and reliaable?

Thats my truck in the pics, I be the guinea pig, but be careful they want you to pay up front and then you get the system 6 months later, oh ya need a ton more than they specify, and I wouldnt even think of it witout forged internals, but it could be done

also side note its nothing like the sts turbos :) sts's turbos go back where the muffler should be this is a true turbo under the hood. :)

Stinker said:
Thats my truck in the pics, I be the guinea pig, but be careful they want you to pay up front and then you get the system 6 months later, oh ya need a ton more than they specify, and I wouldnt even think of it witout forged internals, but it could be done

Holy shnikees Stinker. Be careful where you pop the hood of that beast. It may scare the elderly and kids.

I was eyeing that pic up the other day !!! No disrespect,but I still love the BLING factor of the Paxton setup !!!I did like the idea of the STS Turbo,it's just a shame they didn't work out on our trucks !!:(

i am hand building a kit which will have the same placement as this kit. only differance is my piping and turbo size. a 42 mm turbo is pretty much at its limit with our trucks at a low boost level. 60 mm are great for low boost in our trucks, and 76's are great for all around. im running my exhaust pipes under the front instead of under the rear of the engine. however this kit is missing a lot of essencial parts. you still need a good tuning program, a good tune, a intercooler is a must, you need a better fuel system ie: injectors, pump, regulator. you need gauges, and to run anything over 5-6 lbs of boost you must have internals. theres a lot more than bolting some piping and a turbo and it running correct than what many people know. yes a supercharger is pretty much bolt on and go, but turbos are not. but the possabilities with turbos are far greater than a charger :D. hope this helps a little

Stanimal said:
i am hand building a kit which will have the same placement as this kit. only differance is my piping and turbo size. a 42 mm turbo is pretty much at its limit with our trucks at a low boost level. 60 mm are great for low boost in our trucks, and 76's are great for all around. im running my exhaust pipes under the front instead of under the rear of the engine. however this kit is missing a lot of essencial parts. you still need a good tuning program, a good tune, a intercooler is a must, you need a better fuel system ie: injectors, pump, regulator. you need gauges, and to run anything over 5-6 lbs of boost you must have internals. theres a lot more than bolting some piping and a turbo and it running correct than what many people know. yes a supercharger is pretty much bolt on and go, but turbos are not. but the possabilities with turbos are far greater than a charger :D. hope this helps a little

It helps out a bunch,it helps me realize I'm gonna need MO MONEY if I plan on getting either of these !!!:rock: :rock:

the piping and turbo are the easy part. just take your time, research, research and research. know what your realistic final goal is and buy the correct parts the first time to achieve your goal. as of this point, i have about 4k into my setup. but i also am doing all the labor with a friend. i have spent 2 years wanting a turbo, and didnt start this project until a month ago. all i did was research what works and what fails. the sts looked tempting, but proved to be a failure. the way i look at it, its easier to spend a extra couple grand to do it right at first, with the right parts, then to have to buy a new engine AND redo a bad turbo setup :D :D

dont know think those twin turbo's under stinkers hood look really sweet hoping to set mine up like that as i can afford it lol

yea but it took him years of not seeing his truck and im guessing minimum 25k. i love his setup also but dont have nearly those funds :D

Stanimal said:
yea but it took him years of not seeing his truck and im guessing minimum 25k. i love his setup also but dont have nearly those funds :D

Shoot! Whatchoo talkin' 'bout? He's probably got $25K just in dyno runs to get the beast tuned.

I past that loooonnnnngggggg ago bro:D

but Stanimal a couple things we havent discussed

the size of the turbo is irrelivent to our engine size, each turbo size will only produce so much power and boost.

Now granted a 76mm makes a ton more power than a 45mm, but one thing to also consider.........

A 76mm will actually "come in"at around 4000rpms, whereas a 60mm or so will come in much lower in the rpm range, and so on down the line.

thus this is why I stay with the 67mm turbos, for the street they come in at a much lower rpm than a 76mm would.

now with that said concerning your build, a 76mm with only 5 lbs of boost is going to be a soft hit around 4000rpms, its actually not enough boost for the 76mm to start making power.

Now still , can ya explain to me why you are using 2 wastegates to build boost of 5 lbs with a 76mm turbo?:D

cause i need to evacuate more to keep from boosting. iff i were running higher boost, i would not need to run 2. but think of this. 2 3" pipes, into a turbo, now, one 48mm hole to redirect all of that exhaust away from the turbo?? its not enough to keep it from building boost if i let off at high rpms. it would put too much on the bov, and if the bov couldnt remove the boost it could be a bad day. now this is our thinking. hard for me to explain in words. now as far as turbo size, you are very correct, a 76 will come in later, but that is whatr im looking for. it will come in at 3600, where i want it to. when i shift at 5k, it only drops to about 3900 rpms, so if it "kicks in" at 3600, ill be happy. a 60 should come in at about 1800, and a 44 will come in instantly but is limited in power for our engines. a 44 will run out sort-to-speak at about 4900 rpms, a 60 is more than enough to go to 7000, but im looking to build about 12#'s after winter. over the winter im building the block so i can do so. im looking at long term, and when the time comes will change the wastegate. now if i wanted to stay at 5 lbs, i would definately run a 60mm turbo, without a doubt. i may still. i have both to work with, and will change if need be. i understand your theory, but i want the power up high, not really in the low rpms. dont know why but i do lol.

mauiSRT/10 said:
With all due respect to Tony's truck........turbos have proven to be very pricey and scary! Its not a direction you go with limited funds.

patrick

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn my island hoppin bruddha:D :p :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Stinker said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn my island hoppin bruddha:D :p :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:D :p

Ah,the joys of building power ! ;) :D

You know,I have been thinking lately about mods.Unless you are a gear head and just enjoy tinkering (like a LOT of us),you will get the best bang for your buck with just four simple mods on a QC and six on a RC :
1)Stage 2 flash,
2)drop-in K&N filter,
3)MagnaFlow muffler/cat-delete,
4)X-Metal lowering kit,
5) X-Metal Gen X shifter (for RC only,obviously)
6)Viper master-slave and centerforce clutch (if running it hard ):D

QA1's,headers,N2O,turbo(s),superchargers,4-links,locker rears,heads,rods,are all VERY NICE,but for the $$$$$$$$ involved ,sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh !:eek:

Just stop and think about it........we start with 500 HP !!!!!!! How much more can we really use ??

I think we need to start a modaholics group; "Hi,I'm Nelson and I'm a modaholic. It started with just the basics and now I just can't stop":D

This is in no way a slam of people that have the $$$$$$$$$$ to mod thier trucks to the nth degree.I really would like to do a frame-up re-build on mine with some big ticket items.I would have to sell my house to it,though.(mine is paid for :rock: )

Just some thoughts for discussion;) :)

Some will consider some of the items on my list as too un-necessary and some will consider the list of "must-haves" way too short.Lets discuss it.......................................................................................

Your opinions please....:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back