Turbo questions

prochargedsrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im really considering getting some boost, Im leaning towards turbo just wondering what all ill need to replace to safely run and now blow anything, i dont want to run any sort of crazy boost (yet) im thinking 5-7 lbs maybe...just wondering what ill need to replace/add to safely run, i have a few small things done so far nothing major.

on a side note...Im having a miss-fire issue currently trying to figure out what that is as well...truk just kind of lurches and sputters when driving normally, it runs fine when WOT so i think that should rule out some sort of fuel/filter issue (i think?)thought it was bad gas but dont know if thats the issue, going to change the plugs as the truck just rolled over the 50,000 km mark as well, not sure if i need a certain kind since im looking into boost currently, thanks for the read heres some of the stuff done so far.

04 single cab
intake
heads
sct tuner with custom 94 tune
full 3" magnaflow exhaust
tb
short shifter

any advice is appreciated

Your engine needs a forged bottom end to turbo it. In my opinion the stock pistons are lucky to live a long life in a stock engine.

Slitherbeast (Edmonton) recently completed a turbo build. He should have all the info that you need. Get your post count over 50, so you can PM. :)

I completed a turbo build. Just taking them off now. Bottomline.... these trucks are heavy C/W poor weight distribution!! they don't need more power. More power leads to traction issues. Enjoy these trucks for what they are. beautifully crafted, roomy, great sounding beast that turns heads everywhere you go. they are fun to drive as is and will last along time. Tinkering with major mods will lead to expensive repairs. Leave the turbo builds to the deep pocket people. If you look around this forum you will find a few big builds with NO TIMESLIPS!!

Your engine needs a forged bottom end to turbo it. In my opinion the stock pistons are lucky to live a long life in a stock engine.

There is nothing wrong stock pistons in an N/A environment. That's why the factory tune is close to 11:1 A/F at WOT. Also, reputable tuners will also have "canned" tunes on the safe rich side (12:1). Just don't run the engine lean. (Above 13:1) Especially if your crankcase breather is still pumping hot, oily fumes into the intake.
Lots of owners run NO2 on stock engines with safe rich tunes and have NO issues.
Anyone considering any significant boost in cylinder pressure should strongly consider forged components.
Lastly, As someone on this site has stated... don't fear the boost... fear the tune.

Cheers!

I have a supercharged 10 now I am just about finished with. I am building another 10 that will have a single turbo on it. The key is to use good products stay away from eBay junk unless you want to turn your truck into junk. You need a good quality waste gate and bov. Boost controller can be manual or electronic just depends on your budget. These motors are safe in the 5-7psi assuming that your not making over 625-650 Starr pushing past that point abs the pistons will give out. I am going single because less complicated and cheaper.

The advice I got was adding boost to the stock bottom end, is like pulling a pin in a grenade. You already know it's going to go boom, your just not sure when. It's always sooner than you think. Forge it and no problems. These Pistons are not known for there amazing strength.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back