Twitchy Steering, Harsh Ride discussion

topdown

Reaction score
In an effort to improve the ride and handling quality of an otherwise AWESOME 06 QC SRT, I've been contemplating some changes that I'm hoping the brain trust might shed some light on, and that the group as a whole might find useful.

I've driven several of these trucks, and all displayed a twitchy steering feel which many members attribute to the Pirelli tires.

I've also noticed a good deal of "activity" at the front and rear end over bumps, sometimes making driving my truck less than confidence-inspiring. This may be part of the design, because I have experienced this in non-SRT 2007 Rams as well (although coming primarily from the rear in those trucks). Is this a tire/wheel mass control issue, a bumpsteer issue, or .....? Are there any cures?

So I'm considering a tire/wheel change to at least improve the ride that I personally find a little too harsh. Several members have said putting 20" rims has smoothed out the ride, due to increased sidewall height.

Dodge Ram 20 inch rims will bolt up, but some have mentioned rubbing issues. I've seen pictures with this setup, and it looks as if the tires might be slightly outboard. Is this accurate?

If I spend $1500-2000 to get the correct offset 20 inch rims and new tires, how much of a ride improvement might there be? How would handling be affected?

The stock tire/ rim weighs about 80 lbs. One 20 inch aftermarket combination I've looked at should weigh about 72 lbs. Less unsprung weight is better, but do you think 8 lbs will be noticable?

Perhaps there is something else that can help besides tires/wheels (i.e. specific alignment settings, different shocks, sway bars, springs, ride height changes, bushing changes, anything)? Any suggestions guys?? THANKS!!!

It's the tires. I switched to General Grabber UHP's and it's a different truck. Still handles great but is more predictable. It rides better and I think it has better traction. No more hydroplaning. You don't have to be making constant steering corrections because of which way it's darting now.

I would suggest changing your tires first. Easiest and most cost effective way to tame the beast. Then if you still feel you need to make improvements, consider a bump steer kit. I think you will find getting the Pirelli's off the truck is all you'll need. Good luck.

Get rid of the Pirellis. I went to BF Goodrich T/A G/Force and the twitchy steering disappeared totally. Ride is also improved with the tire switch, but get used to the harsh ride if you have a RC. The RC has a performance tuned suspension designed to keep the truck on the road at 150 MPH. I have no issues with bumps like you describe, either with or without the Pirellis, and I drive on some pretty poor country roads here in rural southern Georgia.

That is strange because I have no problem with the stock tires. I got all 4 new tires and I still don't have any problem with them..

topdown said:
In an effort to improve the ride and handling quality of an otherwise AWESOME 06 QC SRT, I've been contemplating some changes that I'm hoping the brain trust might shed some light on, and that the group as a whole might find useful.

I've driven several of these trucks, and all displayed a twitchy steering feel which many members attribute to the Pirelli tires.

I've also noticed a good deal of "activity" at the front and rear end over bumps, sometimes making driving my truck less than confidence-inspiring. This may be part of the design, because I have experienced this in non-SRT 2007 Rams as well (although coming primarily from the rear in those trucks). Is this a tire/wheel mass control issue, a bumpsteer issue, or .....? Are there any cures?

So I'm considering a tire/wheel change to at least improve the ride that I personally find a little too harsh. Several members have said putting 20" rims has smoothed out the ride, due to increased sidewall height.

Dodge Ram 20 inch rims will bolt up, but some have mentioned rubbing issues. I've seen pictures with this setup, and it looks as if the tires might be slightly outboard. Is this accurate?

If I spend $1500-2000 to get the correct offset 20 inch rims and new tires, how much of a ride improvement might there be? How would handling be affected?

The stock tire/ rim weighs about 80 lbs. One 20 inch aftermarket combination I've looked at should weigh about 72 lbs. Less unsprung weight is better, but do you think 8 lbs will be noticable?

Perhaps there is something else that can help besides tires/wheels (i.e. specific alignment settings, different shocks, sway bars, springs, ride height changes, bushing changes, anything)? Any suggestions guys?? THANKS!!!

I believe it's the nature of the beast. :)

You've got 610 millimeters of tread up front, it's gonna bite and try to take you in the direction it wants to go.

The rear-end suspension is fairly stiff. If you hit a jolt while slightly in a radius, its gonna try and toss the rear out.

This is a pure muscle truck, not a luxury car. You're gonna have to DRIVE it. NEVER put your guard down.

(I was in no way suggesting you are like certain parts of the female reproductive system :D)

My 06 OC with 9000+ miles with stock tires does bump steer sometimes on very rough roads but still its liveable & has never gotten me into trouble yet, I do plan on switching tires when the time comes. I dont know about the rest of you but i think 80#'s for a 22inch tire & wheel is pretty lite. Next i dont think 20inch wheels fit are trucks due to the rotors & calipers.

I also still have the pirellis and have no problems. I think its really how you drive it. Or maybe it doesnt bother me that much and assume its normal since it is a "TRUCK" not a car. You cant expect to put the power to the ground with a soft suspension and that is why it has to be a little stiffer.

I know there is adjustable shocks you can get to soften the ride a little bit and whenever you are ready at the track, a few clicks on the adjuster knob turns the shock as stiff as Stinker when he gets around sheep!!:D

Actually, I really think it is because of the road. In my hometown have a lot of bad roads with a lot of lumps and bumps at each red lights when come to stop. It caused my truck pulled to left or righ. I know it is not because of the tires because when I am driving at 50 mph on rt-9, my truck feels much better and smooth on the roads. Maybe I am wrong but I really don't know because I have no problem with my tires.

My 04 RC feels a little twitchy to me also, but I just assumed it was me and not the truck. For now, I am going to attribute this to the stock tires and we will see if it improves with the next set.

If your not having problems with your stock tires then consider yourself fortunate. I'm happy for you. I think more folks are than not. All I know is it was a day and night difference in the way the truck handled when I switched brands. If you are having problems let me suggest you start with the foundation. The tires should be changed before you do anything else. Hopefully as I found, this was all that needed to be done.

P.S. It may not affect the QC as severely as the RC due to the lengthened wheelbase.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back