Upgraded clutch / stock slave cylinder

furgy667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been having problems getting the truck into reverse and sometimes first after the the truck has warmed up. Like setting at a read light . Also 5 and 6 gear take a good amount of force to engage ,again only after the truck is up to operating temp. There is no grinding or popping out of gear . It just takes added force to get it to take gear . Once in fist I have no problems at all with shifting. Wot shifts are great! Just click squeal click squeal click squeal:rock:

I was looking under the truck today and as I suspected It appears that I have a centforce clutch on the truck. Only making a guess here because I can see the red through the bell housing area around the hydraulic lines. I am assuming that the Stocker would not be red. I really don't think I have the upgraded Hydraulics:(

Would this be causing my problems?

Its not a huge deal atm but yesterday I pulled to far out in the road and had problems getting her into reverse. If i down shift into first before I make it to the red light first is not a problem , but if its a long light and I shift to N and let the clutch out (peddle still has plenty of pressure)I have to jam it into 2 then it goes into first pretty easy.

Thanks for the help

Brandon

furgy667 said:
I have been having problems getting the truck into reverse and sometimes first after the the truck has warmed up. Like setting at a read light . Also 5 and 6 gear take a good amount of force to engage ,again only after the truck is up to operating temp. There is no grinding or popping out of gear . It just takes added force to get it to take gear . Once in fist I have no problems at all with shifting. Wot shifts are great! Just click squeal click squeal click squeal:rock:

I was looking under the truck today and as I suspected It appears that I have a centforce clutch on the truck. Only making a guess here because I can see the red through the bell housing area around the hydraulic lines. I am assuming that the Stocker would not be red. I really don't think I have the upgraded Hydraulics:(

Would this be causing my problems?

Its not a huge deal atm but yesterday I pulled to far out in the road and had problems getting her into reverse. If i down shift into first before I make it to the red light first is not a problem , but if its a long light and I shift to N and let the clutch out (peddle still has plenty of pressure)I have to jam it into 2 then it goes into first pretty easy.

Thanks for the help

Brandon

Have you clutch fluid changed first, see if that takes care of it, and go to a high boiling point brake fluid;)

mine does the exact same thing, with the complete clutch/flywheel upgrade.
also runnin amsoil in the tranny. was thinkin about changin to the mobil 1 tranny juice & see if that helps

I had the same problem earlier this year, and posted about it. I also had a Centerforce, upgrade only. I went back to the stock clutch and JMB's Viper slave/master cylinder upgrade. I have had no more problems since, no slipping, burning, or trouble shifting.

Russell

I have the slave/master upgrade and centerforce........My shifter has been stiff feeling while shifting...especially 5th, 6th and reverse....

..I changed the trans fluid to Mobile 1.....no real help..

..Loosened the shifter mount bolts and ran thru the gears (B&M Shifter)...may have helped some..

..changed from the B&M to Xmetal Gen IV and changed the trans fluid again...I used Mobile 1 again because i think that the Mopar gear oil had not been completely drained the first time.....shifting improved significantly but still some sticking between 5th, 6th and reverse...

..Clutch smell....I have noticed this many times during burnouts and missed shifts.......I really noticed the clutch smell when I did a practice burnout after mounting the DRs I had bought....really strong smell....I noticed it at the track....but I did do a 1.72 60'.....is the clutch slipping???:confused:

Stinker said:
my Mccleod hasnt slipped yet:D

I am going to tear into my clutch soon to see how it looks...I'm betting it wont be pretty................tell me about the Mccleod and do you sell it...and if so how much..

TNVIPER said:
I am going to tear into my clutch soon to see how it looks...I'm betting it wont be pretty................tell me about the Mccleod and do you sell it...and if so how much..

I can get the mc cleod , its pricey about maybe...$1800 or so? havent checked on them in awhile, but will monday for ya.

but its a dual disc clutch, kinda quirky:D VERY hard to get used to at first, its kinda like an on off switch, you dont have alot of slip area, but once you get used to it, its gravy:D

but DAMN! that thing holds like a bitch:rock:

TNVIPER said:
..Clutch smell....I have noticed this many times during burnouts and missed shifts.......I really noticed the clutch smell when I did a practice burnout after mounting the DRs I had bought....really strong smell.....is the clutch slipping???:confused:
if ya smellin' it, you're on your way to replacin' it. :(

None of us have really had any experience with many clutches on the market today with our trucks.
the centerforce came along first and I personally think that it jsut dont hold up too well under our high trq loads and heavy trucks.

I and 505 are using the McCleod clutch, its expensive, about 1800 to 2000 depending on where you get it, but I cant speak for Dom, but mine has held up very well, ,

now the dual disc is a bitch to get used to;) but it works well. sorta like a detroit locker if you have never run one:D you'll think ya crap is broke or not working right:p but it does and does well:rock:

I am super busy today, (again says the wife:eek: ) but later today will try to post up pics of mine after 5000 miles of 750-1000hp runs, and remember, mine dont get driven daily, most of it is to GTG's and the track;)

but it will be later today, and I will try to get some info also.

I know southbend has one for our trucks, ACT, and one other company too,
Tilton has one, but I dont think any of us want to run it, you think the McCleod is a bitch!LOLOl plus its super expensive too:marchmellow: but it does hold , very very well

TNVIPER said:
You have experience with the ACT?
not for these trucks but on other street rods. They also have few different types for different racing apps. I am giong to change mine and this is what I think I am goin with ulike stinker mine is a daily driver and I am very familar with the double clutch discs and sitting in chicago traffic my left leg will be twice the size of my right. I remember someone doing a right up on act but I don't know if the ever finished it, because they didn't put that many miles on it.

I like the centerforce for a sub 7-800WHP trcuk, I put about 15K miles on my first one with tons of towing and racing, thats about all I think you can expect out of a clutch designed for a car that is 1500#'s lighter. The McLeod is nice but very expensive, Dom has never slipped his even after multiple back to back 1100+ WHP dyno pulls. Underground uses them in 1500+ WHP cars, so they shouldnt be an issue, but driving it is definitely more tricky than a centerforce. I honestly dont think there will ever be a 50K mile clutch for these if you race your truck often.
Justin

DevilDawg3097 said:
what about the act clutch?
I installed the ACT with the stock flywheel about a year ago....it seems fine, the clutch pedal pressure is slightly higher than stock.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back