Upgraded Grounding system

ViperPete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So heres a little backround why I did this ...and will do more when time allows.

This is my Avenger.

photo-1_zps484074f8.jpg

Here's the engine:

photo-2_zpsf6915805.jpg

Here's the back seat:

photo-1copy_zps4140623b.jpg

The reason I'm showing you this is because I am running over 3000RMS watts on a factory 90 amp alternator and my headlights do not dim…

10 years ago or so a friend in my Avenger club suggested I upgrade the grounding system in the car because of flickering headlights because of subwoofers. He explained that if the electrical system has less resistance- the electrical system can be much more efficient. So, I put the battery in the trunk- got some 0 gauge power wire and battery ground… And then went to town on the engine bay with 2 gauge wire. I grounded each cylinder head, the block, the transmission, the intake manifold and throttle body all to different areas of the car's frame.

Moral of the story is; now that I am focusing my attention on my SRT10- I am starting with some small mods that I know will help the truck in the long run.

Here's what I did so far…

First I removed the factory grounds at the battery and upgraded them with 2 gauge wire.

photo1_zpsba042bd4.jpg

photo2-2_zpsdab32ee6.jpg

photo2-1_zps17bb1f64.jpg

Then, I added a ground below the throttle body and grounded it on the passenger side frame where the spare battery tray bolted to.

photo3_zps2a9978c3.jpg

photo4_zpsd868e098.jpg

Lastly I grounded the rear of the intake manifold/fuel rail to the fire wall.

photo5_zps7a809a5c.jpg

photo1-1_zpsb376e15b.jpg

In a few weeks I am going to be doing the T56 swap and will ground the transmission to the frame as well.

So what did I notice at initial startup? Much smoother idle. Not bad for a $40 mod. I bought the wire at Advance Auto Parts. They keep it in the back. Its really cheap… only $1.99 a foot… and good quality wire.

photo2_zps78704faa.jpg

Also, Why are my valve covers pitting and looking so shitty?

photo3-1_zps708b4c9e.jpg

That's one pretty lady

photo4-1_zpsd3142155.jpg

Not bad. On the valve covers I say pull em and get them powder coated by someone who knows what they are doing or get em hydrodipped. Or wait a while longer and they will have no paint left LOL

Not bad. On the valve covers I say pull em and get them powder coated by someone who knows what they are doing or get em hydrodipped. Or wait a while longer and they will have no paint left LOL

I think i'll eventually toss them. The metal is bubbling and pitting.

Great ideas bud. As far as the valve covers, they are magnesium and didn't hold powdercoat well back then. New powdercoat or painting will make em like new. Don't throw em away :rock:
Great looking Avenger and speakers :drool:

Ya running a couple earthquake subs in that car?
Looks good,

I had an old school car with 3600rms to the subs only they were 18" strokers

Now I have a huge pile of boxes beside me that were to go into the truck , now maybe car, or maybe sell, Not sure what to do with it.

The new set up Ive got about 5200w rms of Audison Thesis power :).. just have to install it.

did that mod right after i got Red.:rock::rock::rock:

also noticed the alt. was not workin as hard.

crankin speed was up

& couple of other thangs

& cleaned all, that i came across, factory grounds. bare metal to bare metal is the best ground. not paint/coatin with just a small bolt thread to carry the load

Last edited:
Did they have the connectors too?

Yup. They are just 2 gauge copper ring terminals. They range from $3-5 for a pack of two depending on what auto parts store you go to. I am sure thought that Home Depot or Lowes would have them cheaper. I just didn't look hard enough for them.

Did you just crimp the lugs to the wire or did you use a solder pot? Thanks for the tip - I will probably do the same for my JL amps. I get a little engine whine sometimes and I has to be coming from the ground.

Crimped them. Actually my method is a lot simpler. I don't have a crimp tool that large so I just use a large hammer and that crimps them up great.

It's a great upgrade. Im gonna do the starter and alt wires too.

You inspired me to redo my terminal connectors and ground the other day lol. Went with nice Stinger gold plated connectors and then same size ground wire that you used and a nice new copper connector. *knock on wood* my battery issues I was having this past week have gone away. The old connectors were corroding and not getting a clean contact on both posts causing my truck to not start, so I was having to wiggle them around each time and break off some of the grime and then it would fire right up. Cleaned all that up and wiped down the battery. Looks much better and seems to have fixed my issue.

I bought the wire and terminals from Amazon. Should be able to get to it this weekend.

I like the old-fashion method of crimping! Coming from an electronics background that would be sacrilegious for high power applications. LOL.

Great guys. I am glad that this inspired some of you to do this mod.

I think I will create a "How to" with the proper lengths of wire that are needed, detailed instructions and pictures this week sometime.

Great guys. I am glad that this inspired some of you to do this mod.

I think I will create a "How to" with the proper lengths of wire that are needed, detailed instructions and pictures this week sometime.

Did you finish up that how-to yet? It's been plenty of time to write it up.. :D

Did you finish up that how-to yet? It's been plenty of time to write it up.. :D

hahahaha

it's the end of the month at my car dealership and were busy like crazy- and My dad just had open heart surgery. So dealing with that too.

hahahaha

it's the end of the month at my car dealership and were busy like crazy- and My dad just had open heart surgery. So dealing with that too.

Way to take my joke to serious town! I hope your dad is doing ok and end of month at the dealer is always a crazy time.

Way to take my joke to serious town! I hope your dad is doing ok and end of month at the dealer is always a crazy time.

heh....

Defiantly not being too serious about it lol...Just life right now.

Like I said above, now that I am modding my truck you will see a lot of me around here.

On my Avenger club Sign In - ASEClub I have over 11,000 posts and have written several "How-to's" and have pioneered 2 engine/transmission swaps....And lots of other useless usage of bandwidth.... :lol:

I love this stuff and am thrilled to be a part of this club and contribute here.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back