Valve cover screws/bolts shaked loose...?

Sammy11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone had this also.
Today i was at my shop for oil + filter change.
My mecanic saw that there was some leakage , not alot , but still enough.
We saw it was the driverside valvecover was leaking.
When he feld on the screws , all the bottom ones where as loose u could get the moved with your fingers...:confused:
We cleaned everything and got them all tight back.
All others screws at bottom and other side valvecover where good.

See this happen on other vehicles. Not on my 10 yet tho. I removed my valve covers a few months ago for another member to use and my bolts were all tight when removed. Should just snug them up and roll on.

Take them all out and replace with some pretty new SS ones!!!!

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG:rock:

Remember, not too tight. It's really easy to bend a valve cover- and then it will leak forever.

Tighten till snug then give them another 1/2 turn. That's all they need.

I cant keep these bolts or the heat sheild bolts in, I have probly bought 20 each from the dealer. I just figured the v10 shake gets them...

I cant keep these bolts or the heat sheild bolts in, I have probly bought 20 each from the dealer. I just figured the v10 shake gets them...

Spray some carb or brake cleaner on the threads to dry them out.

Then, apply some blue Loctite - that should keep them from backing out but strong enough to stay in.

First thing i did with my 10 ....tight...then just a lil bit past .....no leaks....

Anyone had this also.
Today i was at my shop for oil + filter change.
My mecanic saw that there was some leakage , not alot , but still enough.
We saw it was the driverside valvecover was leaking.
When he feld on the screws , all the bottom ones where as loose u could get the moved with your fingers...:confused:
We cleaned everything and got them all tight back.
All others screws at bottom and other side valvecover where good.

I had it too, same screws. Didn't do anything so far. I just check them sometimes.

btw: I just got 1" spacers and harland sharps. Now, were can I get longer screws for the valve covers with spacers ?

There is a groove in the spacers same as the rocker covers. Once compressed should maintain tension enough to seal and stop the bolts from backing out. The rubber seal probably needs to be replaced. .........the Stiker spacers come with a unique set of screws. They have a shoulder screw,installed with an Allen wrench that becomes flush with the top of the spacer then the valve cover screws thread into the back of these. I was short one and realized you can just use a longer bolt through both cover and spacer.

had loose valve cover bolts, both sides.

mine was from the oil pump by-pass valve prob. fixed the valve, tightened the bolts, cleaned off & no probs

Last week I had to tighten my nuts and now I have to do some screwing...who said that work was no fun.

:proud:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back