Valve spring/Pushrod failure concern..

blazinsrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have seen a few threads with this and it seems to be common problem. How common is this? I'm asking for actual numbers and how common of an issue this really is? If it is I want to be preventive and replace my valve springs and pushrods as a maintenance item. My truck has 72k on it runs great but don't want a surprise I could have prevented.. I'd like to really prevent an unnecessary engine rebuild.

So I have seen a few threads with this and it seems to be common problem. How common is this? I'm asking for actual numbers and how common of an issue this really is? If it is I want to be preventive and replace my valve springs and pushrods as a maintenance item. My truck has 72k on it runs great but don't want a surprise I could have prevented.. I'd like to really prevent an unnecessary engine rebuild.

Our valve springs are less than adequate stock. Yessir
Pushrods are not an issue but we upgrade them anyways.
If you consider the amount of time the truck sits, that's your best answer on why they fail and why they're common. A spring sitting in compressed state for long periods of time will fatigue. Low mileage "pristine garage queens" often are culprit. My own personal Quad Cab had 155k on factory issues pushrods and springs running 12.18s with bolt ons! Great oil is key as well, 15/50 M1 and Mopar filter all
The way :driver:

Good answer so far. I would like a number on failures or how often, if we could come with that of course. Trying to decide if its worth swapping out the springs to prevent a failure.

Good answer so far. I would like a number on failures or how often, if we could come with that of course. Trying to decide if its worth swapping out the springs to prevent a failure.

Answer is yes! I sell many sets of 20 lol. A number, you'll be hard pressed to find, but if you try the search function you may find quite a few.

I don't think you will get actual failure numbers from any one source but if you have concerns, you could always pop a few springs (all?) without pulling the heads to see if they are still healthy, and go from there. The springs are no worse than other mass-produced springs. Unless you are racing quite a bit I wouldn't be overly worried. It's high rpm that can make them work pretty hard. If you are worried for some reason, change them all.

OEM pushrods flex a bit and I've seen them bend at high rpm instead of floating/stacking a valve spring and doing more serious damage.

Or you could just pull the heads, cut the surface and intake manifold faces (the same amount) to increase the compression a bit, change your springs while you are at it and carry on.

Roll-check your pushrods to make sure they are nice and straight.

If the heads have never been off and still have the black head gaskets you will enjoy a bit of an increase in compression with the new gaskets anyway.

If in storage, roll the engine over every once in a while to give the other valve springs something to do.
Thats what I do during our 8 months of winter with the truck and the motorcycles. :burnout:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back