Valve train mods

toofast_28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions. Looking to do a cam and valve train replacement in my stock SRT-10 motor. Looking on Comp Cams website, they say computer mods necessary. i have the MOPAR race ECM already, will that do the trick? I want to do Cam, roller rockers, push rods, valve springs. Anyone have an idea of the kind of HP i would gain? Requires the heads to have some work, i think for the screw in studs for the rockers, so if i have them off i would do a port and polish anyways. Anyone have some guidance? Who to have to the head work, etc? i have an engine builder to do the motor work that builds my race car motors, not worried about the assembly portion at all, he may even be able to port and polish. I guess i want to know if the money spent is worth the HP gains? Adding headers at the same time as well, get all that extra air out of there faster.

toofast_28 said:
I have a few questions. Looking to do a cam and valve train replacement in my stock SRT-10 motor. Looking on Comp Cams website, they say computer mods necessary. i have the MOPAR race ECM already, will that do the trick? I want to do Cam, roller rockers, push rods, valve springs. Anyone have an idea of the kind of HP i would gain? Requires the heads to have some work, i think for the screw in studs for the rockers, so if i have them off i would do a port and polish anyways. Anyone have some guidance? Who to have to the head work, etc? i have an engine builder to do the motor work that builds my race car motors, not worried about the assembly portion at all, he may even be able to port and polish. I guess i want to know if the money spent is worth the HP gains? Adding headers at the same time as well, get all that extra air out of there faster.

The programming in the Mopar PCM is compllimentry to the Mopar 708 camshaft.
For a bigger camshaft such as the comp. you will need custom programing of the PCM, if you want to get all the benefits that the camshaft can give.

If it is worth the money is up to the individual.
HP costs money, how fast can you afford to go.
Everyone must decide that for them self..........

I can afford to go pretty fast... Im just asking more is the cam and valve train mods worth the HP, or is it very little gains? I don't have the room for a S/C really. The motor is in a '49 Chevy pick up, I could go with a ROE, but then i have to do the bottom end as well as the top end and the S/C. I guess for $2000 ish (cam, valve train ect) is it 10 hp, 20 hp, or 100 hp that i would expect to gain?

from what ive heard the above should give you 20-30hp dont trust me though
a v10 ina '49 chevy?? show us the pics!!

bigredv10 said:
from what ive heard the above should give you 20-30hp dont trust me though
a v10 ina '49 chevy?? show us the pics!!

20-30 HP is hardly worth $2-3K on a 500 HP motor... I am aiming to run 10's, i think being about 3500 lbs when finished, i should be close as long as i can hook up with the stock HP. Supposedly the guy i bought the truck from said it dynoed 565 at the wheels before with a cam and exhaust work done. We will see. i am adding headers. I really doubt it had 565 at the wheels though unless he had giggle gas on it, which i think it did... Had the wires ran for it and an "extra" hole in the intake tubing.

toofast_28 said:
20-30 HP is hardly worth $2-3K on a 500 HP motor... I am aiming to run 10's, i think being about 3500 lbs when finished, i should be close as long as i can hook up with the stock HP. Supposedly the guy i bought the truck from said it dynoed 565 at the wheels before with a cam and exhaust work done. We will see. i am adding headers. I really doubt it had 565 at the wheels though unless he had giggle gas on it, which i think it did... Had the wires ran for it and an "extra" hole in the intake tubing.
Very safe assumption on the giggle gas..... you should do the same.... lol, this truck is going to have a fun time hooking. Have you thought about slicks??

10banger said:
Very safe assumption on the giggle gas..... you should do the same.... lol, this truck is going to have a fun time hooking. Have you thought about slicks??

I don't plan on dragging it much, just once or twice to see what it does. If its close on street tires i will get slicks and see how much closer i can get, if thats not enough, giggle gas it is! This is going to be a daily driver when the weather is nice, so don't wanna go too radical on the motor.

toofast_28 said:
I don't plan on dragging it much, just once or twice to see what it does. If its close on street tires i will get slicks and see how much closer i can get, if thats not enough, giggle gas it is! This is going to be a daily driver when the weather is nice, so don't wanna go too radical on the motor.

If you run slicks on a stock rear end you will trash your spider gears ,,,565 with just a cam and exhaust is an out right lie ,,,in my humble opion,,i have a 270compitition cam ,harland roller rockers,ported and polished stock heads mopar long tubes and a custon tune ,,and it not 565 at rear wheels,,will get close to 500 only ,,10 bang is right you will get around 35 to 40 max ,,giggle gas will get you there but watch out ,,you may join the Kablooie club;)

Ironhead said:
If you run slicks on a stock rear end you will trash your spider gears ,,,565 with just a cam and exhaust is an out right lie ,,,in my humble opion,,i have a 270compitition cam ,harland roller rockers,ported and polished stock heads mopar long tubes and a custon tune ,,and it not 565 at rear wheels,,will get close to 500 only ,,10 bang is right you will get around 35 to 40 max ,,giggle gas will get you there but watch out ,,you may join the Kablooie club;)

I figured it was a lie, oh well. not running a stock rear end, 4.88 with a detroit locker. Giggle gas is my last option, i would rather pull it out and build it right. Have an engine builder for the race cars that would love a project like this. 800 HP 388 Small block Chevy sittin in the garage, i am sure he can get 800 HP with an extra 120 cubes.

You need to use the right vavle springs for one, the heads should not need modification if you get the right springs, harland sharp makes good rockers and such, but the best thing you can do is go with a custom cam, a off the shelf doesnt give actual good results. port you intake and port the heads for better results

HV SRT said:
With my cam I also needed valve cover spacers. Not a big deal but just another $600.00.

WOW Was that for rocker clearance or because of the lift of the cam... You must have a big cam in there

shoot, so i am lookin at $1000 for valve covers from X-Metal, $1500 in cam, springs, rockers, Port/polish the heads, port/polish the intake, $400 for X-Metal TB. I think she stays stock, i only have $4000 in the whole drive train right now! All that stuff can be upgraded later.

stay away from X an youll come out cheaper and get it quicker , but hey , thats jsut me, but ask ironhead for true information

I thought they were out of business

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
no comment I will get blasted like a bolt of lightning from the gods:D

KABOOM :D if you buy something from xmetal you got a 50/50 chance you will never see it :mad: if you go with harland roller rockers you can use the stock valve covers if you remove the baffles and trim the ribs on the inside a tad ,,,if you use the stock rockers and some beehive springs from stinkoman you will not need higher valve covers

Last edited:
talk to sean about Harland RR, i thought they were only good up to about 650-700rwhp. but i heard they switched manufactures.
also if you can get 800 hp, even 700rwhp out of a viper motor...NA of course then your buddy who is a builder will have a long line of people wanting the same thing. I think there is only one that broke 700, a LPE car

good luck, sounds sweet

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back