very tragic news from Lucerne, Ca

Sad :( and not to far from us

Man..thats horrible. May God be with those families and friends. Could you just imagine if something like that would happen at one of our local drag strips/ race tracks. :(

Such a tragedy....but does make you wonder, why is everyone standing so CLOSE!!??? If something was to happen (just like it did) it would be very bad; too late now.

RIP

bossharp said:
There were many inured too...I hope the driver was not drinking....

He was not and had to get out of the truck and crash sight quick as the fans started to get rowdy as they were going to take out street justice on him.

I didn't take any of the missions personally, but we launched 2 aircraft in response to this. My buddy had one die on him in the bird.

bossharp said:
There were many inured too...I hope the driver was not drinking....

it was a MDR (Mojave desert racing)sanctioned race, the driver was landing jump, and broke a tie rod, losing all control. as Patrick said, people not following the rules and standing feet from the course (not the 100 mandated in the rules for spectators). but it is with all motor sports, there are great risks in watching.....especially in the desert.

What I don't understand is how the spectators who were not following the rules which state they need to be 100' back from the trucks racing can blame the driver who had a mechanical issue that caused him to crash!!!!!! Sounds like stupidity to me to stand within feet of of road where off road racing vehicles doing close to 100 mph with jumps and not very good traction to regain control if something like such were to happen! I see the same thing happen over in Europe with those races where the spectators are literally standing feet from the cars as they come by at high speeds. How many times have there not been videos of crowds being taken out by those races yet people still take the risks!

I see death on a routine basis due to motor vehicle accidents and have seen pedestrians killed so many times by vehicles losing control. It's not pretty. My prayers go out to the families who have lost a loved one or friend.

Jfireboy1 said:
I see death on a routine basis due to motor vehicle accidents and have seen pedestrians killed so many times by vehicles losing control. It's not pretty. My prayers go out to the families who have lost a loved one or friend.

:dito:

:dontknow: Definately sad. From what I understand, I read 3 or 4 different articles on this... The event promoter and organizer, who obtained the permit, received a permit that was to have no more than 300 spectators. The article said there were over 10,000.

Either they didn't anticipate how many people would show up, or they didn't have the smarts to make sure they put at least some caution tape up to keep people back.

This happened along the notorius strech of this track known for the excitement seen from the trucks being airborn. The permit also stated the spectators had to be 50 feet from any areas where the trucks would be "out of control".

Was reading an article about one of the guy's last few seconds that when he saw the truck coming a mother said he pushed her kids back really fast, then he was gone:( , and he was one of those who died there... What person lets there kids get that close to trucks being driven by some amateurs doing 70MPH 4 feet away from you...:dontknow:

Definately a sad thing..

SD2005Dustin said:
:dontknow: Definately sad. From what I understand, I read 3 or 4 different articles on this... The event promoter and organizer, who obtained the permit, received a permit that was to have no more than 300 spectators. The article said there were over 10,000.

Either they didn't anticipate how many people would show up, or they didn't have the smarts to make sure they put at least some caution tape up to keep people back.

This happened along the notorius strech of this track known for the excitement seen from the trucks being airborn. The permit also stated the spectators had to be 50 feet from any areas where the trucks would be "out of control".

Was reading an article about one of the guy's last few seconds that when he saw the truck coming a mother said he pushed her kids back really fast, then he was gone:( , and he was one of those who died there... What person lets there kids get that close to trucks being driven by some amateurs doing 70MPH 4 feet away from you...:dontknow:

Definately a sad thing..

where did you find out about the total number of spectators? that might have been a typo, to no more then 300 entrants. this is one of the most popular raceds in the MDR series.

the MDR rules state:
100 feet from the course at all times
no spectating on the downward side of jumps, or outward side of corners

Smokey said:
where did you find out about the total number of spectators? that might have been a typo, to no more then 300 entrants. this is one of the most popular raceds in the MDR series.

the MDR rules state:
100 feet from the course at all times
no spectating on the downward side of jumps, or outward side of corners
it was on the associated press website. They obtained a copy of the permit from the county and the permit said no more than 300 or around 300 spectators.;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back