Vets Roll Call

What Branch of the Service were/are you in?

• Total voters
FlyingLow said:
What do you guys call Vortex ring state? Settling with power or power settling?

What do you call it when power required exceeds power available?

settling with power, but I've seen it called power settling in an old aero manual.

Don't really have a definitive term for exceeding power available, other than drooping the rotor, or just running out of power. Crashing is usually shortly after that, though. :dontknow:

USAF 1992-present

AMMO Troop (2W0 formerly 461)

Okinawa Japan 1993-1995
Edwards AFB 1995-1997
Okinawa Japan 1997-2001
Kunsan AB 2001-2002
Okinawa Japan 2002-2006
Ellsworth AFB 2006-present

Have orders back to Kunsan AB will be there May 2008.

U.S.Navy

navy 1969 - 1973! flight crew P-3 anti-submarine warfare! 1986-2003 navy reserve storekeeper SK1 (retired) !

vietnam vet
activated for shield/desert storm 7 months in subic bay PI.

ViperTruck2933 said:
Sucks to be you, lol. :D :D :D

Seriously though, thanks for your service. :rock: :rock: :rock:

:p

Actually I am looking forward to it and volunteered to go. It's my only way to get back to Okinawa Japan where I want to retire.

bub180jp said:
Actually I am looking forward to it and volunteered to go. It's my only way to get back to Okinawa Japan where I want to retire.
Really? I gave some thought to going back to the rock to live. Haven't really looked into it too much though. What's the cost of living like there nowadays?

OCBob said:
Really? I gave some thought to going back to the rock to live. Haven't really looked into it too much though. What's the cost of living like there nowadays?

Way too expensive but I'll find a cush GS job on base before retirement hopefully

the-bigun said:
navy 1969 - 1973! flight crew P-3 anti-submarine warfare! 1986-2003 navy reserve storekeeper SK1 (retired) !

vietnam vet
activated for shield/desert storm 7 months in subic bay PI.

NICE! What did you do on the P-3??

wo1sjb said:
settling with power, but I've seen it called power settling in an old aero manual.

Don't really have a definitive term for exceeding power available, other than drooping the rotor, or just running out of power. Crashing is usually shortly after that, though. :dontknow:

We call Vortex ring state=Power settling and we call Pr>Pa=Settling with power. And a Big Mac, is a Big Mac. But we call it La Big Mac.;)

FlyingLow said:
We call Vortex ring state=Power settling and we call Pr>Pa=Settling with power. And a Big Mac, is a Big Mac. But we call it La Big Mac.;)

Settling with power (as we define it) is when the aircraft settles in it's own downwash with insufficient power to recover.

1-196. The following conditions must exist simultaneously for settling with power to occur:
• A vertical or near-vertical descent of at least 300 feet per minute (FPM). Actual critical rate depends on gross weight, rotor RPM, density altitude, and other pertinent factors.
• Slow forward airspeed (less than ETL).
• Rotor system must be using 20 to 100 percent of the available engine power with insufficient
power remaining to arrest the descent. Low rotor RPM could aggravate this.

As I tell my guys, if you are in those conditions and you have power to recover then you were just in a decent.

What do you guys call a Whopper?:D

sweetb226 said:
My son is 18 ahe will be talking to marines tomorrow about going in ,what should I tell my son.

That the Marines fall under the Department of Navy.
They just happen to be in the Mens' department.

(I got some former Marines in my Company, and that what they use to tell the Sailor on the ship)

Just kidding, my son joined the Navy when I was in Iraq the 2nd time. Still love the little turd. :D

Army(1989-2001)
chinook crewmember
3/160th 90-96 H.A.A.F GA
2/160th 96-01 FT. Campbell KY
still a chinook crewmember but as a sillyvillian(better hours,better pay)

FT Campbell area people we need to get togeather before it gets to cold

Not as impressive as most, but here goes
Army 1973-1974 (B52 bravo) pwr generation,Hercules/hawk missles,later known as Forcecom..Responsibilities included supplying pwr to firing site and maint. of generators(extremely large generators)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back