Video of truck Misfiring

SlvrSnake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright here is a video of it doing what I have been describing in my previous misfire post. It's not the best but it was raining and it was dicey holding my phone and trying to recreate this issue at the same time.

I did this right at the dealer and then went back in and made an ass out of myself because I was beyond pissed because I explained to them exactly the conditions I had observed to recreate the problem and apparently they could not. Hence the reason I took a damn video of it.

Anyway, see what you think.

This is stock tune, I have 172 T-stat and you can see the temp has not reached full operating temp yet at 200. This is when it does it. Has not yet done it cold or hot and has not thrown a code.

Turn up your volume to really hear it. It seems to fall flat right at 4K and just stay there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96254769@N05/8817869920/

Last edited:
VID_20130524_135511_536 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This one works! Wow that is strange. Cam sensor?

You got me. If I knew I would not be posting:D
It could be a lot of things the way I see it. If I had all of the fancy diagnostic tools at my disposal I could probably figure it out. I think the dealer should first check the resistance on the coil packs and then go from there. In my opinion is it definitely something sensor/electronic related not mechanical. If it was mechanical it would be consistent. That is why I am asking for opinions. I am usually pretty good at figuring this kind of crap out but I am at a loss on this one.

We've already mentioned to him to replace cam/crank sensors both. Been there , done this. Lol:rock:

You got me. If I knew I would not be posting:D
It could be a lot of things the way I see it. If I had all of the fancy diagnostic tools at my disposal I could probably figure it out. I think the dealer should first check the resistance on the coil packs and then go from there. In my opinion is it definitely something sensor/electronic related not mechanical. If it was mechanical it would be consistent. That is why I am asking for opinions. I am usually pretty good at figuring this kind of crap out but I am at a loss on this one.

Go to the dealer or autozone and buy a crank sensor as its easiest to replace. $30 or so I think?

Sounds like it's bouncing off the rev limiter. Gonna have to go with a bad sensor/ECU issue.

Venomous sounds like he knows the solution haha

We've already mentioned to him to replace cam/crank sensors both. Been there , done this. Lol:rock:

I understand where you are coming from. But remember, I have a warranty on this. For me to piss out money to replace sensors when the dealership has the means to test this shit with diagnostic tools is BS.

In my opinion, I pointed out when this is happening, showed you it happening. Take your magical diagnostic tools along with the service manuals and figure it out.

Guessing your way to success is not my manner of thinking. If it was the cam/crank sensors, did it present itself the same way I am describing? If not, what symptoms did you have that led you to the conclusion it was those particular sensors.

Remember, I have no check engine lights which makes this more difficult to pinpoint. It could be a lot of things, that it is my point.

I thank you for your input but you are throwing out a solution with nothing that coincides with the problem at hand. Makes it difficult to say, "Oh, yeah, that's it!"

Exactly bro, their "magical code readers" font pick this up nor does it throw a code. Mine and several others have misses like yours and that was the fix. I understand you not wanting to spend money but your techs are lost on this engine. Good luck

If you have no check engine lights, a code wont show up telling you whats wrong. So the only option you have is to guess, and when an experienced viper guy tells you what it most likely is, you might wanna listen.

Exactly bro, their "magical code readers" font pick this up nor does it throw a code. Mine and several others have misses like yours and that was the fix. I understand you not wanting to spend money but your techs are lost on this engine. Good luck

Understood my friend, I thank you for the input. Duly noted and will be something I push for them to look at/replace. The PCM's in our trucks are not like most cars. Kinda dumb and throws techs off. The Viper tech I am dealing with is pretty squared away and told me about a bad cam in a Viper motor that was f'd up causing a miss and never threw a code so that just goes to show you how this can make it difficult for them to figure out what is going on.

My problem is that I don't get the opportunity to speak directly with mechanic instead I talk to a service writer who does not even know what a good spark plug looks like.

Not until I explode at the service desk do I speak to the mechanic. Got real quite at the service area when the four letter words started flowing. :D

If you have no check engine lights, a code wont show up telling you whats wrong. So the only option you have is to guess, and when an experienced viper guy tells you what it most likely is, you might wanna listen.

I agree, and Venomous is a squared away guy in my book. But what I stated stands true. I paid for a warranty, Chrysler pays for it, not me. I've already spent money I should not have, I'll be damned if I am going to spend more.

I am listening, and appreciate the feedback. I know Venomous knows what he is talking about.

You have seen my posts in the past, I do not spew nonsense, and admit when I am wrong. I offer advice based on what I know and from my experience. I expect the same in return and I know what Venomous is saying is based on this premise.

With that in mind, without detailed explanation as to what led to the cam sensor being the issue, I can not goto to the dealer and say Venomous says...So fix it.

I am not trying to be dick but you know how it is with these dealers. It has to blinking on a Neon sign before they get it, or you have to tell them exactly what is wrong with pictures included. Then again sometimes you run into really good people who do the right thing. But in general they deal with so many idiots it makes it difficult for them to pick out the people who are not morons.

Last edited:
Did you show them the video you have posted here? That may help to point them in the right direction. If you explain all the details ( hot ,cold, this rpm range etc. etc.) and you have a good service advisor you shouldn't have to talk to the mechanic. It's an intermittent issue right? Does it ever power through it? Or does it just hang at 4k even with the pedal to the floor? I had a silverado with almost the same issue and turned out to be a fuel pump starting to crap out.

Never mind. I saw in your other post you showed them the video. I hope you get it figured out. I know how frustrating it is to have issues with these you can't get figured out. Good luck!

Buddy here had the same problem with no codes, turned out to be cam and crank sensors being bad. Easy fix, sorry the idiots at service haven't seen very many of the Viper motors to know this might be a problem. It's not like your driving a Chevy or Ford who make a million of the same motors and everybody knows the gremlins. Service tech guys just don't see very many of these trucks or motors, they really don't have a clue.

I've yet to find a dealer that i would trust with my viper. The answers your looking for are here with the members of this fourm. IMO, a $30.00 educated guess is worth the gas just driving to the dealer to get frustrated and pissed off. not trying to be a dick, jus my 2cents.

Thanks guys we will see what happens. It has to go back anyway. Needs a few minor things. New transmission and front calipers.:drool:

Had that same exact thing happen on a 05 1500 Hemi. Turns out I had a bad after market gas cap. Removed the cap, all was well. Went to the dealer and bought an OEM cap.

So, long winded answer, do not overlook the cap or a EVAP issue. Just loosen or take the cap off then take the truck on a straight run. This kind of issue would eventually throw a code, but not right away.

Go to the dealer or autozone and buy a crank sensor as its easiest to replace. $30 or so I think?

I just wanted to tell you that it seems that you are correct. It finally threw a code today, P0320–NO CANK REFERENCE SIGNAL AT PCM. Just wanted to give credit where it is deserved because you were dead on right.

From that it is basically bad wiring, bad PCM, bad Crank/Cam sensor. At least they now have something to say, ah ha, we figured it out. WTF!!

Also, crawled under the truck today to take a peek to see where the Camshaft sensor is and low and behold they left off the inspection cover to my trans. Lord only knows where that is. You just can't make this stuff up....

It is really starting to run bad, I hope I can limp it back to the dealer.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back