Visiting Chicago, will we survive!!

mopar_mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to take the wife to Chicago for a couple of days for a get away and looking for some advice from you Chicago people.

We want to take in a show at the Chicago Theater and I am looking at staying at a place called the Hotel SAX. Now being from a small town where you can walk from one end of town to the othe with $100 bills hanging out of your pocket and not think twice about it, is it a safe thing to walk around that area at night, or the day for that matter :dontknow:

Looking to take in things like the Shed Aquarium, Sears tower (or what ever the name is now), mesuem. All of that tourist crap.

Any recomendations or advice would be great.

There is sooooo much to do!

First, be sure to plan to stay at our house.

Second, leave the cold weather and snow in northern Wisconsin.

Third, consider the Natural History Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry, in addition to the Shedd and the Sears Tower.

If your wife loves art...You must go to the Art Institute...get inches away from paintings by all of the masters you learned about in school.

If you plan on going to a Broadway show get your tickets in advance...and don't skimp on the price...took my best friend and his wife to see Jersey Boys a year ago...$2500 for four tickets...worth every penny.
Saw Wicked the year before, I was ready to stay and see it again without a break if I could have.

There is a revival of South Pacific playing and the reviews are wonderful...tickets will be very hard to get...

Allow one evening for walking Michigan Avenue with all of its Christmas Lights...let your wife wander through Neiman Marcus...TAKE HER CREDIT CARDS AWAY FIRST!!!

There is great parking under Millennium Park...maybe $30 a day...or we can transport you in and out...use taxi's while in the city.

Our favorite place to stay is the Ritz Carlton at Water Tower Place...a little pricey...but hell you aren't doing it every weekend.

The places to eat are endless...name your poison...

Its a safe city...don't go too far south...the Museum of Science and Industry should be a day time visit, and don't go south of it even during the day. You will find it to be a very clean and safe city...now we do have over 500 murders a year, but rarely are visitors targeted...

Spend your evenings here at the house...we will get you into and out of Chicago...

Dont forget the Pizza at Gino's right off Michigan ave and Superior street. I'm There every July with Wife for the Osteopathic House of Delegates. Stay at the Swiss O'tel on wacker Drive. It's pretty safe their along Michigan Ave and as the Prof said all the Museums are Top Notch.

Last edited:
to even get 1/4 through the museums it will be at least 5 hours so plan on seeing one, not all ,or if you are here for a few days then one a day. also Navy peir is a nice place to see and Bubba Gump shrip house is on the peir as well. Also you can go to Old town and hit up the Fudge Factory. There is also Second City and the improve right there in old town.

Last edited:
Any one familiar with theWit Hotel???? (201 North State Street )

Leaning toward that one because it is right across the street from the Chicago Theater where we are going to take in a Sat night show.

good prof. got it to run a 10.13 on a DR. lol right after that I sold it to a guy at the track. now I have a 08 Saleen s 281 s/c.

Well the deal is done.

We are staying at TheWitt Hotel (201 N State Street) Friday-Sunday

Going to the Cirque Du Soleil (Chicago Theater) on Sat Night

Not sure yet if we are going to get down their on Friday morning or Friday night. Have to wait until Wednesday (wifes birthday) to tell her and see when she wants to leave. If she wants to go :argh: . Other wise as a back up plan where are the strip clubs in Chicago :D

I will be at school until about 4:00 on Friday...if you arrive about then, we can take the two of you to an early dinner, then I can ferry the two of you into Chicago, for your romantic weekend...and pick you up on Sunday, so you don't have to worry about traffic or a vehicle (use taxi's in Chicago)...

All you have to do now is worry about the weather.

From CNN.

A major winter storm began walloping part of the Western United States on Monday, snarling morning commutes in some areas and dumping snow as far south as Arizona.

The storm is expected to intensify as it strikes California and heads northeast toward the Rockies, bringing with it snow and extremely frigid temperatures.

"It's forecast to affect about 17 states, from California all the way to Michigan," CNN meteorologist Sean Morris said.

Blizzard warnings are in effect for parts of the central Rockies and the Mogollon Rim in Arizona, where up to 2 feet of snow and wind gusts of 50 mph could cause whiteouts.

Video: Wintry weather jams roadways

Video: Winter storms hit U.S.

Video: Wintry weather in Midwest
RELATED TOPICS
Weather
Winter Weather
Great Plains States
Canada
Rocky Mountains
A blizzard watch was out for the Upper Midwest, including parts of Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois. "In these areas tomorrow, they could experience winds of 30 to 40 mph and visibilities near zero in blowing snow," Morris said.

The coldest air of the season is expected to surge southward behind the storm. By midweek, the storm could bring temperatures 20 to 30 degrees below normal and and dangerous, life-threatening wind chills across the northern United States.

"High temperatures will struggle to make it out of the single digits," Morris said.

Winter storm warnings are in effect for Sierra Range southward to the San Bernardino Mountains in Southern California. The area was set to experience heavy snow Monday, with up to 3 feet possible in higher elevations.

Southern California on Monday may get wind gusts of 60 mph, which could damage trees, power lines and communication towers. Heavy rains also were forecast, triggering possibilities of mudslides and debris flows, especially in burn areas.

The storm is expected to intensify Tuesday as it moves northeast into the Midwest and Upper Great Lakes.

Is it snowing where you live? Send photos, video

Ahead of the storm, parts of the Midwest got a dose of wintry weather, with light snow causing traffic disruptions stretching from Wisconsin to Ohio. At least one person was killed early Monday when a semitrailer struck a 21-year-old man in Indiana during a weather-related crash, authorities said.

Forecasters warned the worst is yet to come, with widespread power outages expected through Wednesday and extreme weather making travel nearly impossible in some areas.

Some parts of Iowa received up to 5 inches of snow Sunday, according to CNN affiliate KCCI-TV in Des Moines, and could receive up to 10 inches of snow through Wednesday.

Chicago, Illinois, received about an inch of snow through Monday morning, said CNN iReport contributor Alan Hawkins. The sun came out and began to melt the snow, but by late Monday morning the sky was overcast again.

Blizzardlike conditions are forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday. "Today's just kind of a taste of what we're going to get," Hawkins said.

The mountains of Arizona also received snow Sunday, with amounts depending on elevation. Rain was forecast in the lower-lying valley areas of the state, but winter storm warnings stretched as far south as Tucson.

On Wednesday, the storm will move into southern Canada as the coldest air of the season spills across parts of the U.S., forecasters said.

That kind of a warning means nothing to MoparMudder...he lives in those kind of conditions about 10 months of the year...now I might just die!

Prof said:
That kind of a warning means nothing to MoparMudder...he lives in those kind of conditions about 10 months of the year...now I might just die!
Snow level tonight in So Cal 1000-1500 feet Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in the teens:rock: :D

Got the snowblower ready???????????????

Silverback said:
All you have to do now is worry about the weather.

From CNN.

A major winter storm began walloping part of the Western United States on Monday, snarling morning commutes in some areas and dumping snow as far south as Arizona.

The storm is expected to intensify as it strikes California and heads northeast toward the Rockies, bringing with it snow and extremely frigid temperatures.

"It's forecast to affect about 17 states, from California all the way to Michigan," CNN meteorologist Sean Morris said.

Blizzard warnings are in effect for parts of the central Rockies and the Mogollon Rim in Arizona, where up to 2 feet of snow and wind gusts of 50 mph could cause whiteouts.

Video: Wintry weather jams roadways

Video: Winter storms hit U.S.

Video: Wintry weather in Midwest