Warranty and Flashed PCM

dfauerbach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about my warranty and a flashed PCM, I know allot of you guys have two and swap them out for dealer work but has anyone actually had to get warranty work done and did this with no issues? I ask because i had to take my 05QC in this morning seems an 02 sensor shorted out we somehow got on the subject of mods and a pcm flash when an 300 srt8 (sweet car) pulled in and I was told if I was to program the PCM it would void all warranty's on my truck. I was planning on buying a new one to flash and keep my stock one in the truck for dealer visits like this but I want to be 100% sure they wont be able to tell I swapped it out.

first off. a mopar performance pcm WILL NOT void your warrenty. others may, however any MOPAR PERFORMANCE PART is ok to put on. dodge will honor all warrenties with mopar parts, however they will not warrenty the performance part. say you change the pcm to a mopar performance one, and the engine blows to pieces, everything is warrentied except the pcm. i asked dodge this a week ago and they read it to me directly out of the mopar performance catalog.

thats right, everything that is stock is under warrenty but if another that was mod wont be under warrenty

well specifically I am looking to get is a stage II PCM from Boomer. what I want to know is if i blow my engine, suck a valve, or whatever and i put my stock PCM back in prior to going to the dealer will they know what i did and will I not be covered?

Hate to be a hard ass...but put yourself on the other side.

If you build your truck beyond what it was stock...is it ethical to try to get it fixed by DC?

This is one of those things I get on my high horse about...sorry, I am probably the only one who feels this way...If you race it, if you mod it, and it breaks, you should be willing to pay the freight. Now if you flash the pcm and your driver window motor goes out...that should be covered...but if you mod it with other than Mopar parts you should expect to pay for repairs.

Well that should piss a bunch of my friends off!

I really feel that the supercharger on my engine makes me responsible for the entire drive train. If I put Boomers lowering package on my suspension, then the suspension becomes my responsibility.

OK, season is open on Prof...flame me with your best shots...I really need the heat...never got over Zero today...

Here's my thought. Yeah, I have one every once in awhile. The reason people have two PCM's is not to fool the dealership in the event of a warranty issue but to insure that the performance PCM does not get re-flashed by said dealership. That is why you put the stock PCM back in prior to your dealer visit. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I don't know if the dealership can determine if the PCM has been switched out. If they are super sleuths, they may be able to figure out that there might be missing information not in the PCM. For instance, you are getting a code for some reason with your performance PCM installed. You make an appointment to take your truck in and change back to your stock PCM and when you get to the dealer, there is no code in the computer. I don't know if it really works this way. This is just a guess.

Last edited:
SilvrSRT10 said:
Here's my thought. Yeah, I have one every once in awhile. The reason people have two PCM's is not to fool the dealership in the event of a warranty issue but to insure that the performance PCM does not get re-flashed by said dealership. That is why you put the stock PCM back in prior to your dealer visit. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You said it, I buy it, and that should be good enough for everyone!

Roy

when i took mine in to the dealership to address the rough running engine, i was upfront with them about the flash, they changed out the TPS, no problem. the viper tech took me aside and told me not to mention the flash because i could have warranty problems in the future. i told him i was concerned about them "erasing the flash" he said that they couldn't do that at the dealership, don't worry about it:dontknow:

Nothing like a super Viper Tech on your side!

We should have a list of them as a sticky...

Prof said:
Nothing like a super Viper Tech on your side!

We should have a list of them as a sticky...

No doubt Prof... As for the flashed PCM, FastblkSRT always told me it was wise to just keep your stock flashed PCM in case you had to go in for a stealership visit. Apparently the PCMs are quite simple to switch out with about three bolts and three plugs to jack with.

SANCHOBA said:
i told him i was concerned about them "erasing the flash" he said that they couldn't do that at the dealership, don't worry about it:dontknow:
They CAN overwrite your custom flash.

Stingray said:
They CAN overwrite your custom flash.

They sure can.

AND... If you go in for say, a new water pump on warranty and Chrysler has a computer update for your truck available, they WILL flash your e.c.u. and may or may not tell you about it. Bye Bye custom flash if that is what you drove in there with....

Ron

SANCHOBA said:
when i took mine in to the dealership to address the rough running engine, i was upfront with them about the flash, they changed out the TPS, no problem. the viper tech took me aside and told me not to mention the flash because i could have warranty problems in the future. i told him i was concerned about them "erasing the flash" he said that they couldn't do that at the dealership, don't worry about it:dontknow:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/images/smilies/dontknow.gif
:dontknow:
Maybe he thought you meant ERASE IT, not change it...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back