Warranty or Not???

amtrucker22

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Powertrain + warranty is coming to an end @ 60,000 miles. Now I am in a quandary of whether to extend the Chrysler Warranty @ a cost of $2k (3 years unlimited miles) or not.

Things to consider:
~ I own a QC with the typical transmission problems.
~ I have CAI and no cats
~ Double deep transmission pan
~ Rebuilt transmission is $3k + I think
~ Current dealership has not had any issues with my truck but I have not submitted any high $$ claims
~ I do not plan on dropping a supercharger or anything else major on my truck

If I deciede to go with a extended warranty I will at the very least have my dealership go over the truck and sign off on the mods I have.

If I deciede not to go with the extended warranty I would be interested in what it would cost to make my transmission have a better chance of survival.

As you can tell I am mostly concerned with my transmission. Please help me weigh the pros and cons of this AND please and give me any additional thoughts that I may be missing.

Thanks,

Paul

I've driven with you....

.....get the warranty!!!

Actually, I'm not sure. Are you definitely keeping the truck for the next 3 years?

It sounds like you are going about it the right way by having dealer "sign-off" of existing mods. Just make sure they can't "small print" you out of a claim.

If it allows you to punish the truck without worry, might be nice peace of mind. It would suck for you to start driving like an old lady for fear of breaking something.

if it is just the transmission you are worried about , use the 2 grand and wait till it needs rebuilding then just rebuild it! might not need one for 4 more years! they will only put a stock rebuild in it anyway so when it goes upgrade it . ;)

I went through something similar when I imported my truck to Canada it was 1.5yrs old and had 7000 mines. Well Chrysler Canada voided the warranty, so I was thinking of gettingthe third party warranty it would have cost me $2100-3500. Well I didn't go through with it at the end of the first year I had to getthe 1/2 synchcros and gears fixed in the transmission and did the clutch and slave upgrade. After that no issues now I'm building the engine cause of the blower.

You have to think what the insurance will cost you, what exactly they will cover and is there a deductible you have to pay.

I don't know . Maybe if I'm you I would talk with ppl billed your tranny . Use all heavyer parts in it then you are good for next 10 years .
But in the end it's your truck you know a best what to do with it .

I would not buy the warranty, but that's just me. Save the 2k and put it into a good tranny, not a rebuilt pos that they would swap yours for if it did fail.

I'd get it if you're not planning to tear into the motor and if you're going to keep the truck for more than the warranty period.

When I bought my truck, I purchased the 7/70 maxcare warranty. Even though I'm still under the base 3/36, the extended warranty is piece of mind in case something major does go wrong. Under the base warranty I had several items replaced, e.g. fan and control module, power steering pump, slave cylinder, front calipers, seating surfaces (drivers side), brake master reservoir and several other "smaller" odds and ends. What I shelled out for the extended warranty has been paid back and then some with the issues I have had under the base period. And who knows what may happen once my base warranty expires. I personally don't have $20-30K sitting around for a new motor, if for some reason mine decides to "explode"...

man it is a toss up... Oh well, I will talk with stinky-poo to see what it would cost me to beef it up now, or to wait until it blows up...

well there is 3 outlooks on a warranty
1)this person is glad he bought it big troubles
2)this person broke even on warranty cost and repairs
3)this person had no problem and throw there money away

Back