What Exhaust?

Reaction score
A new member and just kinda' getting up to speed on these great trucks. Got a 2004 with what appears to be a Billy Boat exhaust system with shorty headers. Always had the muscle V-8's, currently own a 2010 Challenger with 392 stroker/blown with Whipple 2.9L catless Corsa Extreme exhaust, LT headers, 720 rwhp. Sounds out of this world at WOT. Looking around at the exhausts for these Viper's just wondering what some of you guys are running out there. My truck sounds o.k. just seems to be on the quiet side. Thanks.

I run full Billy Boat. Seems odd someone would have put shorty's on. Long tubes are the way to go if you have mods. Magnaflow will give you a louder sound than B&B. I blew the muffler out of my first Magnaflow catback in short order. I went to a MOPAR/Borla set up after that and it was loud and higher pitched than the B&B. There are other systems out there, but B&B (Billy Boat) has the best sound that I have heard.

Thanks oldcolt. Yeah I agree on the header issue. I always went with LT's on my vehicles, never had shorty's until now. Had a racing friend of mine tell me that shorty's or better on low end and LT's on high end. Not sure about that. On the sound issue guess I'm just not use to the sound of these V-10's. Very different sound for sure.

If you have a good exhaust shop around I'd go that route. You can order a dual 3'' in/out magnaflow muffler off amazon for $120. Have your muffler shop do a cat delete IF your gonna have it tuned. That would probably gain you 30rwhp for around $500. I've done all of this and was happy with it!;)

If you have a good exhaust shop around I'd go that route. You can order a dual 3'' in/out magnaflow muffler off amazon for $120. Have your muffler shop do a cat delete IF your gonna have it tuned. That would probably gain you 30rwhp for around $500. I've done all of this and was happy with it!;)

Who is a good tuner for these trucks? Would like to get the cat's off, they appear to be aftermarket high flow as I have the stock cat's and part of the factory exhaust as it came with the truck when I bought it. Sounds like a good ideal Kyle Thanks.

WOW! Thanks Venomous. Now I just need to go ahead and get that 2nd mortgage! A whole new toy to start spending money on. Those sounds are what I'm talking about. Making a note of your e-mail, thanks again.

What do you suppose the gains would be with the cats, tune, and this particular muffler, just out of curiosity?

What do you suppose the gains would be with the cats, tune, and this particular muffler, just out of curiosity?

The 4 cats on these truck really plug it up, if you don't swap out the cats but do an exhaust and tune you should still gain over 20+ rwhp regardless. The biggest HP adding mod has been proven to be long tubes period.

The 4 cats on these truck really plug it up, if you don't swap out the cats but do an exhaust and tune you should still gain over 20+ rwhp regardless. The biggest HP adding mod has been proven to be long tubes period.

say what???

Id say pulling out the cats and replacing with high flow race cats and mufflers would be a bigger gain than strapping headers on to a stock system.

I am new to the forum as well and have been reading up, looking for whether there is any kind of consensus on the deepest, loudest exhaust system, preferable with the least tinny whine and minimal pop/backfire. I just brought home '05 YF #319 and want to start with cooling and exhaust system upgrades, and plan to spend when able for the ideal upgrades rather than settle for less expensive options if not top of the line. I figure it has been 13 years..... someone must have figured out the perfect exhaust by now!?

Copied from other members from posts several years ago, the two which seemed to have support, and to which I listened on video links that seemed subjectively to sound the best were the "MoFo Headers, true dual equal length exhaust with an x-pipe, catless, twin Borla race mufflers" from user Trainman and "Mopar LT headers & catless mids w/Bassani catback" from user Yellow venom.

I seem to see the feedback that the Billy Boat, Belanger, MagnaFlow, etc systems are conveniently premade but don't seem to turn heads like the exhausts which have been pieced together (not surprising perhaps). I am curious to hear everyone's experienced opinions! Thanks in advance.

I run full Billy Boat. Seems odd someone would have put shorty's on. Long tubes are the way to go if you have mods. Magnaflow will give you a louder sound than B&B. I blew the muffler out of my first Magnaflow catback in short order. I went to a MOPAR/Borla set up after that and it was loud and higher pitched than the B&B. There are other systems out there, but B&B (Billy Boat) has the best sound that I have heard.

Agreed. Recently installed my B&B with cats and it sounded mean... then just tried it out with catless mids today for the first time and damn!!! It truly is the best sounds there is IMO hands down. Don’t know why anyone would put shorties on a B&B though. That’s very likely your problem.

I am new to the forum as well and have been reading up, looking for whether there is any kind of consensus on the deepest, loudest exhaust system, preferable with the least tinny whine and minimal pop/backfire. I just brought home '05 YF #319 and want to start with cooling and exhaust system upgrades, and plan to spend when able for the ideal upgrades rather than settle for less expensive options if not top of the line. I figure it has been 13 years..... someone must have figured out the perfect exhaust by now!?

Copied from other members from posts several years ago, the two which seemed to have support, and to which I listened on video links that seemed subjectively to sound the best were the "MoFo Headers, true dual equal length exhaust with an x-pipe, catless, twin Borla race mufflers" from user Trainman and "Mopar LT headers & catless mids w/Bassani catback" from user Yellow venom.

I seem to see the feedback that the Billy Boat, Belanger, MagnaFlow, etc systems are conveniently premade but don't seem to turn heads like the exhausts which have been pieced together (not surprising perhaps). I am curious to hear everyone's experienced opinions! Thanks in advance.

I mentioned on Facebook that it looks like you have a MOPAR/Borla cat back. It is fairly high pitched and with an auto transmission, it may sound a bit dronie. I've always liked the sound of this truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwK4txj3xks

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back