What happened to my spoiler?

ViperCLKGTR

Reaction score
What the eff happened to my spoiler? Here are the pics:

They looked like that basically over night? I noticed the 2, perfectly straight lines on each side three weeks ago, hit it with some compound and wax and got it somewhat unseeable unless you were looking for it. Today I was driving looked out the rear view mirror and was like "WTF? Is that frost", got to work and my spoiler is all kinds of jacked up? How would something like this happen? It's like the paint turned white over night? The other side is even worse but I can't get the d**n picture to upload

Hmm, glad you backed out on selling it to me. What goes around comes around I guess. :rock: Remember, you said your wife wanted the whole cover removed anyway, now you got another reason. :D

But---I am genuinely sorry when anyone suffers. Looks like a new paint job or removal to me. VENOMOUS1 runs without a cover or wing and does pretty well so there ya go.

Try wax. If it fixes it, you buffed the clear off. If it doesn't, it's a chemical. Brake fluid, thinner, ...

Looks like a new paint job or removal to me.

I realized that when the lines appeared but didn't think it would get this bad almost over night....

Look like it's spoiled to me.

3v5tl4.jpg

lookes like you buffed the clear right off and once the wax wore off it really started to show.

I didn't use a buffer, good ol' hand power and it's still smooth as glass except for on one or two of the big spots? You can almost see through the clear coat?

Looks like some sort of chemical got on there

That's what I originally thought when both sides had in the same exact spot, the same width and everything, 2 perfectly straight lines but now this.... I haven't put any chemicals on it except for the normal car care stuff?

Here's a pic of the other side where it's the worst

Some paint jobs here in Phoenix look like that after being baked in 100+ heat, which we have a lot of. When they painted your truck how many coats did they put on?

mines doin the same thing.:mad:

mine started showin up after a couple of summers ago. 73+ days of 100+.

think the sun gets to them

Some paint jobs here in Phoenix look like that after being baked in 100+ heat, which we have a lot of. When they painted your truck how many coats did they put on?
However many the factory wanted lol

mines doin the same thing.:mad:

mine started showin up after a couple of summers ago. 73+ days of 100+.

think the sun gets to them

Crap, sucks because I park outside just never seen one get that bad that quick, it's either parked in my driveway or at work.

However many the factory wanted lol

Crap, sucks because I park outside just never seen one get that bad that quick, it's either parked in my driveway or at work.

same here.

back in my parkin space, facin due south

Maybe windshield washer fluid blowing back? The alcohol on some of the could damage/eat/weaken the clear coat and would expose the pain in straight lines since it would be pushed straight back by the airflow over the spoiler?
Probably not right but figured I'd throw it out there....
Maybe it was repainted and they cleared it with an incompatable clear coat? Or the paint wasn't cured fully before cleared causing it to destabilize?
The stripes could be someone had vinyl stripes that caused uneven fading? Thermal expansion and contraction over time with vibrations caused micro fractures in the clear letting water vapor in there, sun hits it and the water expands separating the layers? Some combination of any of that?

Last edited:
I think what happened is when you were "hitting it with compound"…some of your gayness leaked onto it. Gayness can ruin shit overnight just like you said. Try to keep that shit under control man. :D

Maybe windshield washer fluid blowing back? The alcohol on some of the could damage/eat/weaken the clear coat and would expose the pain in straight lines since it would be pushed straight back by the airflow over the spoiler?
Probably not right but figured I'd throw it out there....
Maybe it was repainted and they cleared it with an incompatable clear coat? Or the paint wasn't cured fully before cleared causing it to destabilize?
The stripes could be someone had vinyl stripes that caused uneven fading? Thermal expansion and contraction over time with vibrations caused micro fractures in the clear letting water vapor in there, sun hits it and the water expands separating the layers? Some combination of any of that?

That was probably the most well educated post I've ever read on here, you get a solid :rock: now print that out and hang it on the fridge.

Try to keep that shit under control man. :D

Dang it Chris, you ruined everything he just posted!

That was probably the most well educated post I've ever read on here, you get a solid :rock: now print that out and hang it on the fridge.

Dang it Chris, you ruined everything he just posted!

Done! The wife even put a gold star and a smiley face on it

Clear coat failure.......mine did the same thing.....only after 3 yearz.....08......fkn frustratin

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back