What pulley is on the bottom of the engine?

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My lowest pulley (crank:dontknow: ) looks to have a slight (1/16-1/8") wobble while the truck is running.. As of the past few days my truck has made a squeaky noise which is the idler pulley but recently a light vibration/ rattle sound has been comming from under the hood when I'm moving at consistent speeds of around 35-45 mph....it rattles real quick then goes away:dontknow: last night it did it more and more but still not consistently...

Today I popped the hood and it looked as if the lowest pulley had a slight vibration which maybe the cause of the rattle:dontknow:

Do not drive it anymore.

Have it changed or tightened.

hope you havent screwed up the crank. tighten it up asap or have someone do it.

better tighten it asap or get ready for one hell of a mess when the belt comes off at 3000 rpm...happened to me:argh:

Damn....even a slight vibration?
It started say Tuesday I noticed it and as of last night it did it more frequently the rattle sound but haven't heard it today yet in my short 10 min drive to work...
The rattle sound almost seemed like a hose hitting up againt the fender or similar, and I climbed under the truck and didn't notice anything loose or out of the ordinary...
I've been baby driving the truck since the noise....How hard is it to tighten it?

kickinassrt-10 said:
Damn....even a slight vibration?
It started say Tuesday I noticed it and as of last night it did it more frequently the rattle sound but haven't heard it today yet in my short 10 min drive to work...
The rattle sound almost seemed like a hose hitting up againt the fender or similar, and I climbed under the truck and didn't notice anything loose or out of the ordinary...
I've been baby driving the truck since the noise....How hard is it to tighten it?
real simple.

My belt blew off and bent pulley's and made on hell of a mess...It started as sounding like a squeaky belt, but once it warmed up, the sound went away, thats why I never really thought anything of it. When it goes, you loose the power steering and if you have to make some turns to get her off the road like I did, pressure built up and blew power steering fluid all through the engine bay:argh: :argh: .. I recommend you don't drive her until you make sure that bitch is tight

if your crank pulley has come loose, that's a major issue usually found on '04's (smaller bolt) & a few '05's....... :(
it's something you really need to get fixed, if it is loose, it can ruin the end of the crank. :(

I climbed up under there and felt around with my hands at all the bolts...
They didn't appear loose and neither did any of the smaller ones nor the pulley itself :dontknow:
I parked the truck and I'm driving another car until I can get a wrench on it later and see if it tightens at all with some force?

Not sure on the torque specs but make sure you use the loc-tite . I did mine twice and it keep comming loose. It can really mess up the crank if it gets to bad .

Alright I just drove the truck home. Hit A little bump
in the road then Came rattle sound I gave it a little more gas and the noise continued as I gave it gas. Does that sound characteristic of the crank pulley being loose? Any other thoughts what it could be?

id put a wrench or socket and wratchert on it asap and make sure if it was loose or not.

eddie102870 said:
id put a wrench or socket and wratchert on it asap and make sure if it was loose or not.
The noise is very discouraging since it's not continuous and I had no time to get a wrench on it just now. The truck is now sitting until I figure out what it is. Sucks big time!

kickinassrt-10 said:
The noise is very discouraging since it's not continuous and I had no time to get a wrench on it just now. The truck is now sitting until I figure out what it is. Sucks big time!

This may sound stupid but I see you have a K&N listed in your sig. If you have the Cold Air intake installed the filter sometimes slips down and bounces off the heat shield and makes a rattle. I had that happen to me before and thought the exhaust was loose because that is what it sounded like. Took me a week or so to finally realize what it was. Turned out to be the filter bouncing off the heat shield. I just pushed the filter up and away from the shield and re-tightened.

Your issue sounds like it is something different but I figured I would mention it, just in the off chance it was something that simple.

SlvrSnake said:
This may sound stupid but I see you have a K&N listed in your sig. If you have the Cold Air intake installed the filter sometimes slips down and bounces off the heat shield and makes a rattle. I had that happen to me before and thought the exhaust was loose because that is what it sounded like. Took me a week or so to finally realize what it was. Turned out to be the filter bouncing off the heat shield. I just pushed the filter up and away from the shield and re-tightened.

Your issue sounds like it is something different but I figured I would mention it, just in the off chance it was something that simple.
I took a shop rag and sat it under the end of my filter when i had one on mine.:D

Back